• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dreaded crust + yeti ski

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I got pricing on the cmx ski/spindle and let’s just say it’s probably out of my budget. Let’s also say that an aro ski and spindle would be considerably less. Not bashing them at all, just can’t spring for it for myself.

Did you get a price for just the cmx ski?

(I need to build my spindle anyway for rocket #2)

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Yes I did. I guess I can say what it was.

Spindle 575$ USD
Ski 550$ USD

Aro ski+spindle. 500$ USD

I also mailed the russians at snowrider and they said their skis and spindles are not available separately as of now, maybe in the future.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

Spindle 575$ USD
Ski 550$ USD

I also mailed the russians at snowrider and they said their skis and spindles are not available separately as of now, maybe in the future.

I will get a CMX ski when they are available as well to try out .

S
Sep 2, 2016
Park City, UTAH

Spindle 575$ USD
Ski 550$ USD

I switched from a MT spindle to the SnowTech MX spindle last season. Made a huge improvement. The SnowTech spindle costs less than CMX, can adjust angle, can run different skis (I run the yeti & Simmons skis), and honestly looks like CMX tried to copy the SnowTech (but change the look a little & no adjustability).
No worry about flex or craftsmanship from SnowTech's spindle.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Okay so interesting findings yesterday. We rode some fresh snow, with areas of wind blown and crust. And some powder over a layer of harder crust. We had three bikes. My mototrax with yeti ski, an aro kit and a Camso kit. My ski was giving me trouble at times again, grabbing and trying to turn at times, while other times I was having to pull bars hard to get it to turn when it wanted to go straight. So, the chance came up to try the other two bikes and I did so, in the same conditions giving me trouble, and wow, those two kits ignored the crust like I had suspected. Although displaying a little bit more washout tendency, with the Camso being slightly worse washout feeling than the aro. So it was yeti with most holding, but worst feel, aro was the best compromise. So, I thought well that’s it, I’m buying a aro ski and mount.
BUT WAIT THERES MORE! So on the way out of the riding area we were on a long access road, typical whoopsies for some, but a lot of it was a fairly smooth, chunky rutted snow road and my setup was pretty controllable and I was having fun dodging ice rocks being flung at me by the other bikes. Then I noticed that the other two bikes seemed to be giving those guys a little trouble and the aro kit even seemed to look downright sketchy at times, ridden by the owner who is a much better rider than me and also used to his kit, rides a lot. So I thought that’s odd because my ski was rock solid and I was just cruising 5th gear and having no issues. So now, back to the drawing board lol.

Anyway food for thought.

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
Your findings are pretty consistent with popular opinion. The Aro ski has the rep of being terrible on a hard trail and great in the deep where the Yeti is probably the best one out there on the trail but can be a handful on wind crust, hard pack or spring snow. I like the Yeti ski in light dry powder though.

The 2017/2018Camso ski is a compromise. It has a "No mans land feel" when going edge to edge due to the dual runners but once the outer skeg grabs you can basically trust it. Its better if you ride it aggressively and pound the berms on the trail. It washes some in the deep but by and large its pretty good and it handles crud and crust well. I haven't tried the 2019 ski yet but I will soon. Its a little more Yeti like in its shape than the 17/18 Camso ski.

Maybe that new CMX ski is the answer. I wouldn't but any ski until I had tried it in a few different conditions.

M5

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Okay so interesting findings yesterday. We rode some fresh snow, with areas of wind blown and crust. And some powder over a layer of harder crust. We had three bikes. My mototrax with yeti ski, an aro kit and a Camso kit. My ski was giving me trouble at times again, grabbing and trying to turn at times, while other times I was having to pull bars hard to get it to turn when it wanted to go straight. So, the chance came up to try the other two bikes and I did so, in the same conditions giving me trouble, and wow, those two kits ignored the crust like I had suspected. Although displaying a little bit more washout tendency, with the Camso being slightly worse washout feeling than the aro. So it was yeti with most holding, but worst feel, aro was the best compromise. So, I thought well that’s it, I’m buying a aro ski and mount.
BUT WAIT THERES MORE! So on the way out of the riding area we were on a long access road, typical whoopsies for some, but a lot of it was a fairly smooth, chunky rutted snow road and my setup was pretty controllable and I was having fun dodging ice rocks being flung at me by the other bikes. Then I noticed that the other two bikes seemed to be giving those guys a little trouble and the aro kit even seemed to look downright sketchy at times, ridden by the owner who is a much better rider than me and also used to his kit, rides a lot. So I thought that’s odd because my ski was rock solid and I was just cruising 5th gear and having no issues. So now, back to the drawing board lol.

Anyway food for thought.

Hmm, the only problem is the Yeti ski has changed many times over the last 2 years, The 19 Yeti has totally different runner and handles much different, would be helpful to mention what generation Yeti ewe are comparing to the new Aero ski, Not a good comparison old vs new.

Last edited:
N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Hmm, the only problem is the Yeti ski has changed many times over the last 2 years, The 19 Yeti has totally different runner and handles much different, would be helpful to mention what generation Yeti ewe are comparing to the new Aero ski, Not a good comparison old vs new.

Good point and I apologize for that, only problem is I’m not 100% certain which one I have. I rode it all last year so it must be a 17/18 ski

I’d sure like it if someone with the new and old gen skis would show pictures of them side by side. (Hint hint)

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I know the 19 ski runner mounts differently,with a nut way up top in the ski loop area so that’s the first clue, would like to see the bottom on the 17-18 ,here’s a19 from my new kit

7506BF71-2417-4408-A3C9-79C4F7FCC4C2.jpeg

Last edited:
N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Your findings are pretty consistent with popular opinion. The Aro ski has the rep of being terrible on a hard trail and great in the deep where the Yeti is probably the best one out there on the trail but can be a handful on wind crust, hard pack or spring snow. I like the Yeti ski in light dry powder though.

The 2017/2018Camso ski is a compromise. It has a "No mans land feel" when going edge to edge due to the dual runners but once the outer skeg grabs you can basically trust it. Its better if you ride it aggressively and pound the berms on the trail. It washes some in the deep but by and large its pretty good and it handles crud and crust well. I haven't tried the 2019 ski yet but I will soon. Its a little more Yeti like in its shape than the 17/18 Camso ski.

Maybe that new CMX ski is the answer. I wouldn't but any ski until I had tried it in a few different conditions.

M5
I agree however I’m not sure how I can try before I buy, as I’ve never even seen a cmx kit. (Well once last week but I didn’t know the owner so couldn’t just start off with hey can I ride your bike)

If cmx wanted to sell a lot of them they might consider a rental program or something to allow people to try the ski out.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The easiest way to tell if its a 17/18 is if its in two pieces snapped in half. The 16 skis were strong.

M5

incorrect.17 skis were solid but handled poorly in comparison to 19,The reason the 18 skis broke is because they removed the forward rod portion of the runner which was the support.That was addressed in 2019. The 18 skis were updated mid year free of charge with a new runner which included the support rod.

Last edited:

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I know the 19 ski runner mounts differently,with a nut way up top in the ski loop area so that’s the first clue, would like to see the bottom on the 17-18 ,here’s a19 from my new kit

What is that the triple point added between stock runners? Where did you get it?

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Its really interesting how you describe having to pull on the bars to steer. for me on my TS its more like pushing my bars side to side to initiate the turn VS steering the bike.

My riding partner just bought a new 18 YZ450F and a 18 129SS we will be putting together soon . Should be interesting

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
What is that the triple point added between stock runners? Where did you get it?

It’s a triple point from the old style TS ski ,I just drilled through the yeti skag and bolted the triple point to the skag and cut off the stud above the nut and put skag back on ! I did take a fat uni but and touch the hole so the nut fit in the ski

Last edited:
Premium Features