• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 Belt life????

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
How many miles are you guys getting out of the belts on your m8's?? I got around 230 miles on mine and when i was going over the sled the other night i noticed lots of fibreglass like fuzz all under the hood. I removed the belt and everything looked good even when comparing to a new one. even the width was very close. What else could this be???

Last edited:
A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Sometimes I can go almost an entire season on one belt, and Im a fairly aggressive rider. M8's are great on belts. Come to think of it, they are pretty damn good at just about anything, except riding whooped out trails...

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
if u ride it like u stole it, dont expect over 300 miles from a belt. if u ride hard for 15 min. and talk for 15-20 min. then probably 6-700 miles, and if u take it easy then 1,000 plus miles. the most miles i have ever gotten on any snowmobile belt was 500 and that was on a skidoo.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
if u ride it like u stole it, dont expect over 300 miles from a belt. if u ride hard for 15 min. and talk for 15-20 min. then probably 6-700 miles, and if u take it easy then 1,000 plus miles. the most miles i have ever gotten on any snowmobile belt was 500 and that was on a skidoo.

Wow...whatever clutching this dude is running, dont copy it. 300 miles on an M8 belt something is wrong with your clutching, your sled was set up by a dealer in Hawaii or you dont understand how to keep snow off your clutches...just the fact he got the most miles from a Ski-Doo belt says it all :face-icon-small-dis

J
Jul 21, 2008
Kirkland
Wow...whatever clutching this dude is running, dont copy it. 300 miles on an M8 belt something is wrong with your clutching, your sled was set up by a dealer in Hawaii or you dont understand how to keep snow off your clutches...just the fact he got the most miles from a Ski-Doo belt says it all :face-icon-small-dis

I have to agree. Take good care of your clutches and the belts will last a long time. I just sold two 2008 M8's (upgraded to 2011 M8's) and I used 4 belts in total over the course of 3 seasons and 2900 miles each sled.

I love the affordable run cost of Arctic Cat. I almost went Etec this season but couldn't justify the extra money for the sleds but most of all the high cost of belts.:face-icon-small-hap

S

SpokaneRMK

Oct 29, 2004
Spokane, WA

Huh, i got almost 1200 miles on my first belt on my turbo apex, now on my 10 m8 still going on 600 miles, and i don't ride trails:face-icon-small-win

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
my mom can get 2,000 plus miles on her belts too! she could probably get 2,000 plus on my M8. not gonna happen with me ridding. some of my buddies get over a 1,000 miles on there belts, ridding my old sleds that would only get me 3-400 miles to a belt. on my M8 my clutching is not perfect, but my alignment is dead on and i have vents.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, Alaska
my mom can get 2,000 plus miles on her belts too! she could probably get 2,000 plus on my M8. not gonna happen with me ridding. some of my buddies get over a 1,000 miles on there belts, ridding my old sleds that would only get me 3-400 miles to a belt. on my M8 my clutching is not perfect, but my alignment is dead on and i have vents.

If your getting 300 miles you have some major problems. I don't care how bada** you think you are on a sled or its relation to your belt life, but something is off. I change mine every year as a precaution but at over 1k miles and it looked great.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If your getting 300 miles you have some major problems. I don't care how bada** you think you are on a sled or its relation to your belt life, but something is off. I change mine every year as a precaution but at over 1k miles and it looked great.

its not about being bada**, i just dont stop ridding. every trip i go on with friends and family i put on 20%-30% sometimes 50% more miles than everyone else. we all unload together and load up together. u can ride ur sled wide open its entire life(as long as the engine and belt are warm) and get 1000 miles out of a belt if u stop often and let ur clutches cool. Also at full shift ur belt is not sliding up and down the sheaves like when ur in and out of the throttle non stop for 8 hrs.

S

SnoShark

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado
I have a 2010 M8; changed my first belt around 7-800 miles only because of performance.

I removed the heat shield and all of the fiber-mess from the pipe; it can't be good for clutches etc... I added some extra heat/foil tape to the hood in those areas and wrapped a cable or two near the pipe and I've had no melting issues. Haven't noticed anything on performance either. I'm not sure whether the fiberglass is there for sound or heat retention. No effects to the muffpot either:face-icon-small-win My brother ceramic coated his pipe but I still kick his arse:face-icon-small-ton

jbmilek

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
2011 M8 limited.

After realigning my clutchs I've been getting 500-600 miles on a belt under normal conditions. In super deep heavy snow they don't last very long at all on my sled.

waycooljr

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2010
Sidney, MT
I just sold my 10' HCR to a friend with less than 900 miles on it, 046 belt that was abused (mountain riding and coyote hunting). He just wasted the belt this last weekend up in the Bighorn Mtns. with over 1000 miles on the sled. I'd say I abused the hell outta that belt when I had it, and I know my buddy did too!!

Premium Features