• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Air intake?

B
Dec 14, 2010
hey guys I’ve been debating weather or not to remove the stock air filter and put some uni's or k&N's on. I’ve got mixed responses. this is what I’ve herd so far.

Stock air filter
draws in cold, dense air

Bad part:
doesn't suck large amounts of air in and can get clogged up easily

After market
sucks large amount of air/ better combustion

Bad part:
sucks in large amount of hotter air

I really want my stock system gone but not if it hurts the performance. I really don’t want to have to pipe out the air filter above the hood but if its not as hard as I think it is I may as well do it.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Contrary to popular belief, filter/pod setups don't usually draw more air than a properly designed airbox. You typically have to jet bigger with filters, not because they are drawing MORE air, but because they draw LESS. The vacuum signal to the carb nozzle is lower, so a bigger jet (or richer needle setting) is needed to flow the same amount of fuel as a smaller jet. Now get into mods and higher RPM's with pipes, porting etc....and the rules change.

B
Dec 14, 2010
well i can tell you know that my air box(orginal one from 97) is not a very good set up so i figured just slap on some pods or pipes the pod to the hood but not out of the hood. what do you think?

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I never noticed what forum we were in. The old S-Chassis!
Snorkel out the top of the airbox to some fresh air is best for your set-up. Unless you have a whack of venting and running modified, I'd stay clear of pods like Brew said.

B
Dec 14, 2010
ya mabey ill do that. but i was out for the first time with it toaday and it was awsome!!! when where ever i wanted in 3 ft of fresh pow. my dads 900 didn't even do as well as i did:face-icon-small-hap.
put one thing concers me. i used up a little more than a quarter tank in only 13 miles. but really it used only about 1/2" of the injection oil. clogged? broken? no idea

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
run premix at 75 or 100:1 and see how much oil you go through during a normal ride(50-60miles) running premix should prevent a burndown incase your oil injection is not working.

B
Dec 14, 2010
ya right now i run pure senthenic from polaris(42 bucks per gallon) and i rode today and it justed up about an inch of the tank and i went 35 miles. and i've herd that older sleds dont use up alot of injection oil just a lot of gas.

Premium Features