• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

boondocker or silber

B

bim900

Sep 14, 2008
Dumont, MN
I have a 09 d8 155 and can't decide on wich turbo to get. I've got it down to either a boondocker pump gas from code red or a silber turbo. I ride at a 1000 ft in MN or 10'000 ft out west and I want one that works great both places. Does one have better tech support than the other any thoughts would be great. thanks Curt

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Another two thumbs up for Justin at Code Red. Very helpful and great product. I went with boondockers for a couple reasons. I liked there oil tank better, muffler for the tunnel dump better, mini intercooler with a fan, electronic boost controller. The ebc is awesome feature. Bd has there product dialed in. Bd control box and wiring hookup almost plug and play with there connectors except one wire. You pay quite a bit more but it does come with more features IMO.

B

bim900

Sep 14, 2008
Dumont, MN
I was kind of leaning towards a boondocker for them reasons after reading about 10 pages of threads just that there is alot of talk about the silber turbo. Back to the bd turbo is the mini cooler something you should have.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I would say it is something you "should" have just like you "should" have a turbo. Kidding. When you are running boost, or compressing air, it increases the temp of the air significantly. Warmer air is less dense=less power. Justin from code red said they have seen charge temps drop up to 70 degrees running the mini intercooler. The colder the air the better and the lower chance of detonation. So, on the same boost level you are making more power running an intercooler. I have rode one with and one without on same boost levels and this is noticeable power difference. But, it is also fairly pricey also. It's not necessary, but either is a turbo.

Dec 15, 2008
I'm guessing you live in MN? I would lean towards Silber since he is close. He also has an intercooler as an option if you want it. Have had excellent support from either one of them. If you plan on running a pump gas set-up I really wouldn't spend the money on an intercooler. Do some good venting and call it good. If you plan on higher boost levels I'd definitely get the intercooler. The Boondocker kit has the EBC and Silber doesn't but there is also a fairly substantial difference in price too. No matter who you go with you will enjoy.
Happy riding!

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
I'm guessing you live in MN? I would lean towards Silber since he is close. He also has an intercooler as an option if you want it. Have had excellent support from either one of them. If you plan on running a pump gas set-up I really wouldn't spend the money on an intercooler. Do some good venting and call it good. If you plan on higher boost levels I'd definitely get the intercooler. The Boondocker kit has the EBC and Silber doesn't but there is also a fairly substantial difference in price too. No matter who you go with you will enjoy.
Happy riding!

Both kits are nice. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I went with the Silber kit myself for the local support! I would opt for the i/c if you have the funds. Silber has great service and will return your emails and calls. You can see my Silber build thread here: http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228318

S

Super B

Dec 26, 2002
Monticello, MN
www.rooost.ca
A

aus091

Dec 25, 2008
MN

If you live in MN i would suggest silber because he is from MN he sets sleds up to run both elevations. Also silber has a low psi waste gate to run pump fuel in mn.

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
Either way you go justin with silber turbos has hands down 100percent amazing customer support i called him a couple times late at night and he was more than happy to help me out. ask around he knows boondockers cont box better than most people. People who run boondockers always ask justin for advice on tuning their sleds. i have nothing bad to say about boondockers. i have friends that run boondockers it just took them a lil longer to figure out the box. where silbers attitude box is pretty simple and his kits are by fare the best bang for ur buck also clean and easy install keep us posed on wich you chose best of luck and let the snow fly

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I truly don't think you would be disappointed in either. Both have great products and great customer support. THe one thing to think about, is that the BD kit will always be a pump gas kit, unless you add additional BD components in the future. THe Silber kit can be pump of race, depending on your mood, for a lower cost. I would recommend getting the minicooler when you buy the kit, if you have any thoughts of turning up the boost though. On the other hand, the one thing BD has over the Silber, is the EBC. BD also uses their own fuel box and programming, whereas all other Turbo manufacturers are using the Dobek system, and writing their own maps, or having someone write maps for them.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Actually... I have personally ran the BD "Pump Gas" at 13 lbs boost with straight 110 on the 800 CFi-4 IQ-RMK's....The sleds ran flawlessly.

"Pump Gas" and "Race Gas" are more of a setup philosophy than the actual fuel.

A better term would be "low boost" "mid boos" and "high boost" systems.

Small vs Big tubos, Non intercooled, Small and Big intercoolers and the list goes on.

I have not installed a Silber kit yet, but I have installed many of the BD systems on Polaris sleds... I've always been impressed with the quality and the customer service.

For me...I am also a fan of the BD EBC and the ADA equipped control box.

Many happy users of the Silber Kits here too.

Make sure you look into each system, consider the components and features, and make up you own mind.

Last edited:
J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I truly don't think you would be disappointed in either. Both have great products and great customer support. THe one thing to think about, is that the BD kit will always be a pump gas kit, unless you add additional BD components in the future. THe Silber kit can be pump of race, depending on your mood, for a lower cost. I would recommend getting the minicooler when you buy the kit, if you have any thoughts of turning up the boost though. On the other hand, the one thing BD has over the Silber, is the EBC. BD also uses their own fuel box and programming, whereas all other Turbo manufacturers are using the Dobek system, and writing their own maps, or having someone write maps for them.

i have a bd "pump gas" turbo on my sled. with the stock actuator you can turn it up to run 14-15lbs of boost as long as you run the proper fuel and/or head mods for your elevation.( did so for 3,000 miles) on any cfi 4 800 a pump gas kit is also a race gas kit to a point. if you want bigger boost than that all you have to get is the high boost waste gate actuator and you can turn it up even more.(did half a day at 19lbs and it was retarded power) but then you dabble on needing an inter-cooler or water meth kit to cool the charge system.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
Actually... I have personally ran the BD "Pump Gas" at 13 lbs boost with straight 110 on the 800 CFi-4 IQ-RMK's....The sleds ran flawlessly.

"Pump Gas" and "Race Gas" are more of a setup philosophy than the actual fuel.

A better term would be "low boost" "mid boos" and "high boost" systems.

Small vs Big tubos, Non intercooled, Small and Big intercoolers and the list goes on.

I have not installed a Silber kit yet, but I have installed many of the BD systems on Polaris sleds... I've always been impressed with the quality and the customer service.

For me...I am also a fan of the BD EBC and the ADA equipped control box.

Many happy users of the Silber Kits here too.

Make sure you look into each system, consider the components and features, and make up you own mind.

I have a BD Race Gas setup now, and am extremely happy with it. The only reason I brought up the difference in RG vs. PG "kits" is because Boondocker differentiates between the 2, and plainly states that their Pump Gas kit has to be upgraded to run boost levels above a certain level (not sure if they say 8 or 10 PSI?). That said, I totally agree with you and have no doubts that lots of guys are running the pump gas kits at higher boost #'s with success

Premium Features