• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1999 Summit X670 trailing arm

Albany Mountain

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Albany, Wyoming
Screwed up my right trailing arm for a 1999 Summit X670 and looking for a replacement. H E L P!!!!!

Aftermarket ok as well for both if reasonable

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
Sent you this on the rebels site...

You can get chromoly ones, there aftermarket, i know a couple guys on a forum that make them, there a couple hundred bucks but very well crafted. An arm from a 97 or 98 will work aswell, and several others i believe, this happened to me last year before the 09 Baker shootout and i was FURIOUS, they were pretty hard to find. I think the replacement i have is from like a 2000 skidoo 500 or something, which i beleive is ZX chassi, but the only differences in the 97, 98 and 99 are color (black, yellow, silver i think). before i knew i was going to get a replacement i fixed up my old one, filled the bend in with weld and added a metal bar for sapport, finished her off with some grey primer. I bolted it up but never used it, got my other one in time, but it will work. If you need one, i can help ya find one. You wont find a new stock trailing arm, but well get ya one.

Try this - http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170685

PM jsledder, Thunderguy, Wildcard28 or Zachmandu. they either make them, have them or no someone that does. I have the one if you need something to tide you over.

Last edited:
Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
Of the S-chassis trailing arms, they will all interchange.

However, the differences primarily lie in shock and sway-bar attachment points. MXz's use a heim-joint link for the sway bar, whereas the summit's and S/SL/SLS series use a simple sliding-block arrangment that the swaybar slides into. An easy way to spot this, is the MXz arms have a stud welded on the inside of the arm just behind the spindle mount. The cheapo sway bar arms have a grooved channel that the plastic block slides into. Another difference is metallurgy. MXz's and summit X's use chrome-moly arms, and most others are mild steel.

If you do not run a sway bar, you can install just about any trailing arm from '96-'99, including some fan-cooled S-sleds from '00.

Unless there is an exception that I have no knowledge of, the ZX arms are completely different. Different shock mounting and sway bar mounting points, along with using a ski spindle that is roughly a 1/4" taller. Hence, an S-chassis spindle will NOT work with a ZX arm.

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
"MXz's and summit X's use chrome-moly arms, and most others are mild steel."

I am certain about the MXz arms (at least in the case of the 670's in '98/'99, and the liquid 440 race-sleds) being chrome-moly, as 'Doo proudly placed a decal right on them saying "chrome-moly". The 440 fan MXz had the mild-steel arms, and I am unsure of the 583 MXz. I suspect that the 583's had chrome-moly arms as well, but I have not verified it.

As for the X arms, seems that I read somewhere that they are supposed to have been chrome-moly as well in '98/'99.

And a correction for my prior reply on the MXz sway bar stud-mount on the trailing arms- As far as I know, only the '97/'98/'99 440 liquid race sleds, and the '98/'99 Mxz 670 used this style of sway bar mount.

I was not trying to get into a history lesson with my post. I was just trying to show some of the differences in the arms, as to why there are so many different part #'s for a seemingly similar part. I wanted to show that other than material used, and sway bar attachment points, they are all pretty much interchangeable in a pinch. Meaning that you don't HAVE to have a '99 Summit X arm on a '99 Summit X. You could use a '96 Formula S arm as well, if that was all you could find.

On a side note- Kimpex has been making after-market trailing arms for years, available for under $70/side through Dennis Kirk etc. Some people think of these as "cheap off-shore crud", and that they are too flimsy. I actually LIKE them, in the fact that if you hit something hard, they act as a "fuse", taking the hit and self-destructing, saving your bulkhead/tunnel assy. I know from first-hand experience, that a direct hit rear-ward on the spindle can do some pretty nasty things to your tunnel. Just a personal observation....

Albany Mountain

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Albany, Wyoming
Sent you this on the rebels site...

You can get chromoly ones, there aftermarket, i know a couple guys on a forum that make them, there a couple hundred bucks but very well crafted. An arm from a 97 or 98 will work aswell, and several others i believe, this happened to me last year before the 09 Baker shootout and i was FURIOUS, they were pretty hard to find. I think the replacement i have is from like a 2000 skidoo 500 or something, which i beleive is ZX chassi, but the only differences in the 97, 98 and 99 are color (black, yellow, silver i think). before i knew i was going to get a replacement i fixed up my old one, filled the bend in with weld and added a metal bar for sapport, finished her off with some grey primer. I bolted it up but never used it, got my other one in time, but it will work. If you need one, i can help ya find one. You wont find a new stock trailing arm, but well get ya one.

After dealing with this, I'd thought I would cut out the damaged area and reweld with new support to match the other. I want to check the local dealer as I found a 3 week old ebay auction for one and don't know if they sold it. Can only call them on Tues. Possibly if this doesn't work I can work with you for the old one. I researched prior to this and this seems to be a difficult part and am getting tired of researching versus just fixing. Bummer deal is that I haven't even left the property yet this year and hit my septic tank pipe that I forgot to set a warning post on!!!!!!!

I also could cut off the channels for the sway bar and reweld on an arm without the sway bar as well. I may run down to the lodge and find some older ski-doos running around to measure and confirm fitment; unless I can confirm the model numbers from other potental sleds per the posts above.

Thanks
Kenny

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
After dealing with this, I'd thought I would cut out the damaged area and reweld with new support to match the other. I want to check the local dealer as I found a 3 week old ebay auction for one and don't know if they sold it. Can only call them on Tues. Possibly if this doesn't work I can work with you for the old one. I researched prior to this and this seems to be a difficult part and am getting tired of researching versus just fixing. Bummer deal is that I haven't even left the property yet this year and hit my septic tank pipe that I forgot to set a warning post on!!!!!!!

I also could cut off the channels for the sway bar and reweld on an arm without the sway bar as well. I may run down to the lodge and find some older ski-doos running around to measure and confirm fitment; unless I can confirm the model numbers from other potental sleds per the posts above.

Thanks
Kenny

Heres what mine looked like...

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=59677&d=1236496473

And heres a thread of mine back in april, with a bunch of pics of me fixin it.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146022

Ive got it layin around here somewhere, but since its been repaired it wont bend like the stock one, it will break cuz its brittle, so if you end up with it, dont hit anything! Back in march, i called EVERY dealer in washington looking for a trailing arm, which they no longer make. Got mine from a guy in canada off dootalk. Found some on ebay actually, check em out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-9...26479568QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Righ...02583302QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RH-T...19051682QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:

Albany Mountain

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Albany, Wyoming
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193060

A guy is parting out a 99 Summit X. I bet he has trailing arms.

AND BY GOLLY :D YOU WERE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have become my hero of the week and in the event you cannot accept, it will be difficult to decide whom to pass this prestigous award onwards to. But I would nominate all of those who took the time to give me this valuable information that led me to this holy grail of Obselete trailing arms.

I will be gracefully blowing the snow from beneath my treasured Summit X670 as soon as I get the parts installed.:beer;:beer;:beer;

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
AND BY GOLLY :D YOU WERE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have become my hero of the week and in the event you cannot accept, it will be difficult to decide whom to pass this prestigous award onwards to. But I would nominate all of those who took the time to give me this valuable information that led me to this holy grail of Obselete trailing arms.

I will be gracefully blowing the snow from beneath my treasured Summit X670 as soon as I get the parts installed.:beer;:beer;:beer;

Good man, glad to here it! Get that bad boy installed, cant let that virgin snow just sit there...

Premium Features