• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

5 "Stickys" just in General ..? Seriously, YAWN

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)
N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Sorry - but I'm agreeing with the original sticky comment - this site is sticky overboard. I used to go read the riding areas in Canada SW for AB/BC but now I find my info on another site, for the simple reason that under the old system, threads for the top riding areas were routinely at the top because lots of people posted on them, and lesser areas were near the bottom for obvious "less-busy" reasons.

Now there is almost a full page of "sticky" riding area conditions at the top, half being updated and half not, meanwhile other threads are going on at the bottom with more current conditions than the stickies have, etc etc. If you use the sticky thread, you have to wade through 2 pages of banter or crap just to find the most recent post on what the conditions were like. Was just easier under the old system, even if people did start 4 different threads for the same riding area, all you had to read was the most recent one. I know it sounds like I'm making it harder than it is, but IMO it was easier the other way.

This thread interested my because of my feelings on the stickies, and then I see a mod giving someone grief about their opinion - are we not in the Suggestions and User Feedback section?? No offence to any mods, but if this is simply turning into "Mods on a power trip", then I'll be leaving sooner than expected.

To me this applies to the old adage - "If you won't like the answer, don't ask the question." Well, if you don't want to hear feedback, don't have a feedback section....

After reading the latest Snowest, honestly I'm more pissed off at the direction of the forums, in reference to making it a "user pay" system. I didn't bother to count or do a % survey, but at least half the mag is already ads. Not sure what Harris is doing with all the money they already receive from ads and the purchase of mags, but it seems like they already have enough advertising space in the paper edition, to me it seems like the pay forum system is a cash grab on top of this. Writing an article about testing 3 sleds and putting together the same re-hashed spread as the past several years on riding destinations no longer cuts it. For a magazine that is named "SnoWest", I see very few references to western riding tips, western based materials, etc etc. Doing a review on Klim gear isn't very "western specific" to me.

I don't care about business models etc. These days companies are too focused on what everyone else is doing - "Oh, Microsoft made 86% profit last year so we should be able to as well....how?? oh just jack the price for the consumer." Just because someone else did it once, seems to raise the bar for all others to attain the same profit margin, all at the cost to the consumer. If anyone thinks this was/isn't/never will be about $$$$ - you are foolish.

SnoWest and Harris are now seeing the effects of their decisions. I used to be on here 3 times a day, now I might stop in once a week. Once the user pay comes online, I won't be here anymore, the Snowest internet forum is only a hobby for me, its a bit of a stretch to try and make people believe that its like air - without it you will die, so pay up. If anyone is foolish enough to think there is information on here that is only available on Snowest and should be paid for, well...good luck. Welcome to the world wide web my friends, there are 3 sites for everything, all offering the same info.

The members are what made the forum, the members are what filled this forum with knowledge. Why weren't the members asked if we wanted anything changed?

Good luck.

NSC

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I'm not to be out on a "Power Trip" as stated earlier, I have no real impressive powers, just a few extra buttons. I just move the complaints and comments from General or Colorado to the Feedback and Suggestion Forum. I don't see that as a power trip, since nobody is getting "infracted" or banned. Just a thread being moved to where the admin will see it. Simple, really.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Read the first third of this thread and thankfully stopped myself to ask " WTF am I doing ?? " :eek:

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
Wow.... this is GREAT stuff.

PJ, like many, I haven't read your "hundreds" of posts, probably for good reason, and had no idea what your user name meant. Really don't give a rats azz either. You put it out for all the world to see and abuse. "Off limits"....were you really trying to be serious..? on the internet? by this crowd?

Now, onto the important stuff. No one gave a crap that you moved the thread. Good on you. Job well done. Gold star. But you post that other stuff, about whining and all, then turn around and whine louder than everyone else. And I'd be negligent in my duties if I didn't point out the continuous, highly predictable, usually iritating, defensive postions you spout.

Infractions...? OMG, really? for what? Being stupid enough to keep reading your diatribe? All right there Barney, you go you.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Oy Vey! I give up. Tried to make a point and it turned into a immature pissing match. I'm sorry that you guys don't like the pay site change, not my choice. Sorry you don't like the sub forums, not my choice. Sorry you don't like the stickies, most of them were there before I was a mod, I deleted some and kept some and added some. Bummer that you don't appreciate the Handicapped Sticky or the Make a Wish Sticky, those were the ones that I added. I think the loud pipes one can go, there is another pissing match that'll go nowhere. Maybe you weren't whining GTG, I will offer my apologies for jumping the gun and bagging you but if you could only see the reported posts and the complaints that roll into us every day you might understand or even see it from a Mod's view but I don't expect you to. Whining is taken in a very broad perspective here for everybody's own definition. Laters.:beer;

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Munch munch munch
popcorn.jpg
[/IMG]

I can't believe Ruffy's post above!:beer;

:beer;Thread of the year material right here!:beer;

Pass the Popcorn StoliBear:rolleyes:

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
LMAO!!!!

Good thread.:D

P.J. you make it tooooooooo easy!:p

So true. Bear with me little one, as I'll explain. To start with, the thread was 'tongue and cheek'. Other than an obvious opinion in the title, the only post in the thread was a joke about creating another 'sub-section'. Notice the emoticon's. Call it an op-ed piece. Call it a waste of your time. But it's sort of a stretch to call it 'whining'.

I propose a sub-section for "Sticky's":rolleyes:
:p

Next, we come to the in depth defense. Not sure why, because I don't think anyone really cares. But...

I don't necessarily like all of the Stickies either, but they were there before I was asked to look over the two forums in question,
So you can't touch stickies. OK.
therefore it is not my place to remove them until the original author asks that they be removed or the event expires.

The Brad Story raffle will be ending soon so that will be unsticked in the near future and there are a couple in the Colorado section that are on deck as well.

Honestly, I'm just trying to keep out the "spam" and general "BS" so peeps don't have to sift through the crap to read a decent thread. It's stupid that peeps whine when myself or another mod leave a thread alone when they "feel" that it needs moved, edited or deleted
And you hate whiners, yet jump to act on their behalf. Makes sense to me.
altogether but when we do actually moderate a thread or a post the same people start whining again.

In the General forum I pretty much just delete the "Spam". You guys never see it, or most of it anyways. I also move the suggestions, comments and the polls about Snowest and Christopher to the Suggestions forum. Don't take that as an insult, I'm just moving it someplace where somebody who can design forums will see it. And to clear things up, just because I am a mod doesn't mean that I agree with alot of the changes on this site. Because I don't. I'm not a fan of the pay option, I don't like all of the "bling" and colored rainbows. I do like Snowest and met a bunch of real great people, including Dizzle.:cool:

But to be brutally honest, I am tired of the whining and complaining. It gets you nowhere. The "regular" mods, such as myself cannot do anything to actually change the way the site is performing for you, the sub-forums and such.
And mods can't really do anything. Except move stuff for the whiners. So you can? Or you can't? What constitutes 'doing something'..?
Those issues are handled by the Admin ( and you need to post your threads and polls there where they are sure to view them. They aren't going to view General, the State sections or Fouled Plug everyday to try and catch everybody's complaints about the forum issues.ORANGE)

After settling THAT, we move on...

I'm not to be out on a "Power Trip" as stated earlier, I have no real impressive powers, just a few extra buttons. I just move the complaints and comments from General or Colorado to the Feedback and Suggestion Forum. I don't see that as a power trip, since nobody is getting "infracted" or banned. Just a thread being moved to where the admin will see it. Simple, really.

You're right, they aren't very impressive. I probably would suggest you back away from the key board. Next...

Oy Vey! I give up. Tried to make a point and it turned into a immature pissing match.
Yes it did. Not sure what point you were trying to make, but somehow this all became about 'you'.
I'm sorry that you guys don't like the pay site change, not my choice. Sorry you don't like the sub forums, not my choice. Sorry you don't like the stickies, most of them were there before I was a mod, I deleted some and kept some and added some.
Thought you couldn't touch stickies...? Now I am confused.
Bummer that you don't appreciate the Handicapped Sticky or the Make a Wish Sticky, those were the ones that I added. I think the loud pipes one can go, there is another pissing match that'll go nowhere. Maybe you weren't whining GTG, I will offer my apologies for jumping the gun
No apology needed. My feelings weren't hurt. However, if you learn anything from this, you can thank me.
and bagging you but if you could only see the reported posts and the complaints that roll into us every day you might understand or even see it from a Mod's view but I don't expect you to. Whining is taken in a very broad perspective
And...? Your point...? are we to assume that 'whining' needs to be moderated now?
here for everybody's own definition. Laters.:beer;

Let's spend a minute and paraphrase here. If you see something that strikes you as funny, dumb, or otherwise entertaining and talk about it, it will most likely be thought of as whining. Now, it wouldn't matter except for some people whining about it. So we have the initial whiner; the whiner calling the whiner a whiner; and then the wiener calling the initial whiner a real whiner to assist the new whiners. And we learn that a mod can't do anything about stickies that are there, specifically because they were there before they were in their position, but for the exceptions of a couple added, and well, some deleted.

To assist us in determining who's a whiner and who is not, we yell (BIG BOLD TYPE) to get ones point across, add funny little belittling pictures, and then add volumes of interesting points about ones job... all for the sake of injecting ones problems into an argument that really had nothing to do with you.

School is now released for recess. Play nice now...:p

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
So true. Bear with me little one, as I'll explain.
:confused::confused: Why oh why did you think that was necessary? Work slow this morning? ha ha That was like a play by play recap of what happened, but longer then the original. :p

Premium Features