• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Do you seriously think this is simply and only a CPU/processing/RAM/Disk access aka horsepower issue?
There is no thinking on this one.
I know if for an absolute fact and can back up that statement with Server Load Factor that we log every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The server that SnoWest lives on right now, is shared by a dozen other sites.

The new server WILL absolutely positively restore all the speed this forum ever had and then some.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
So, the short answer is: YES.

You're confident that this is simply a CPU/RAM/Disk-access issue.

I'm sure you've identified some HW limitation, however it is curious that the performance hit did not appear to users until you started subdividing the subdivided forums and adding all of the bells and whistles, then subdividing them.

Even though dedicated/correct HW is a necessary first step, I think you've got a little more work in front of ya to solve this than just throwing processor cycles at it.

;-)

MD.

There is no thinking on this one.
I know if for an absolute fact and can back up that statement with Server Load Factor that we log every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The server that SnoWest lives on right now, is shared by a dozen other sites.

The new server WILL absolutely positively restore all the speed this forum ever had and then some.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
shrub%20with%20caption%20copy.jpg

A
Nov 26, 2007
Montana Creek AK
This is the SloWest that I have experienced, don't post much but getting kind of impatient with the load cycles. The old forum seemed to work to most peoples satisfaction, I can see trying to make it better with bells and whistles but there is always the point of diminishing returns. New vehicles with all the bells and whistles, emission this, economy that, and then there is my 67 Merc big block, 18 mpg on the highway, produces enough tire smoke to get the tree huggers panties in a knot real quick, burns as clean or cleaner than the newer cracker box cars and you can fix it with a hammer and a monkey wrench! some times it is best to leave well enough alone, just my 2 cents;)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I just got off the phone with Dell Computers, and I wanted to let all the members of SnoWest know that our long awaited High Speed Data servers are now on the production line and being built for us.

They told me we should have them here in Idaho Falls on or before December 3rd, 23 days from today. He thought in all likely hood we may see them a few days sooner if all goes well.

Once installed ALL speed / performance related issues on SnoWest will be permanently resolved!!

As production updates arrive I will update this thread with further information.

B

Boondock

Oct 4, 2001
Colorado
www.snowest.com
I just got off the phone with Dell Computers, and I wanted to let all the members of SnoWest know that our long awaited High Speed Data servers are now on the production line and being built for us.

They told me we should have them here in Idaho Falls on or before December 3rd, 23 days from today. He thought in all likely hood we may see them a few days sooner if all goes well.

Once installed ALL speed / performance related issues on SnoWest will be permanently resolved!!

As production updates arrive I will update this thread with further information.

Seems a little late but better late then never.

What about HP charging for the site?

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
dell suck...you will be on the phone steady with a fella in India to resolve issues...why don;t you find out what the best snowmobile forum backcountryrebels.com are using....their site is wicked...they may have some good insight to help ya out

Premium Features