• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Patriot Owners- Poll Failure or Not

Has Your 850 Failed. Vote multiple times if you have multiple 850s

• No

Votes: 341 81.2%
  • Yes, Top End

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Yes, Bottom End

Votes: 61 14.5%

• Total voters
D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I found the center oil hose off my 850 last week, its at the dealer now waiting for parts. They tore the engine down, and did not find any internal damage, still lots of oil inside.
I understand that they are replacing the check valve, and the service manager requested pistons just because its open. Total downtime should be around 7 days.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Poll number just keeps inching up.

Didn't vote because it isn't mine, but pulled a friend's 850 out last weekend. Not sure what failed yet. 25 mile tow. Not fun. Sled has about 500 miles.

J
Sep 18, 2011
Western Maine
Mine went down last weekend, pto bearing slid into crank. 254 mi, 18.7 hours. 2 miles in on the trailhead to the chic choc's, 11 hours from home. Had to rent a sled for the weekend, good news is Polaris covered the rental charge so still got to ride.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
My oil hose situation should be resolved by the end of the day.
Polaris handled it decently enough.
-I found center oil hose off after spotting a small mess under sled. Aprox 500 miles, pre-december build.
-Dealer removed engine and sent Polaris pics and report.
-Polaris told my dealer to completely disassemble my engine and report back.
-Dealer found oil in the center cavity, as well as everywhere else it's supposed to be, no discoloration / play found in any bearings, pistons and hone look good. They sent pics and report to Polaris. The only real issue was the check valve partially blocked by excess case sealant which caused the oil hose to pop off.
-Polaris courier shipped parts to my dealer (3 business days to northern Alberta, not bad).

My dealer is just finishing the rebuild this morning: New check valve, piston kits, and necessary gaskets / seals. They are also doing the ECU update, and putting me back in break-in mode.:face-icon-small-dis
The service manager mentioned a new procedure for installing the check valves using some sort of loc-tite instead of case sealant.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Mine went down last weekend, pto bearing slid into crank. 254 mi, 18.7 hours. 2 miles in on the trailhead to the chic choc's, 11 hours from home. Had to rent a sled for the weekend, good news is Polaris covered the rental charge so still got to ride.

Exactly the same thing happened to me in the same place. Just shy of 280 miles with about 13 hours. 3 miles or so up the trail on the first day. about 12 hours from home also lol. Mine seized and pretty well sent me over the bars. We towed it back and had to rent a sled for the whole weekend also. It didnt seize completely because I was still able to turn it over but it was very stiff.
Got it going again on Sunday to put it on the deck and then again on Wednesday to unload it. What did they end up replacing? Just the crank or did they sent a crate engine?

J
Sep 18, 2011
Western Maine
Exactly the same thing happened to me in the same place. Just shy of 280 miles with about 13 hours. 3 miles or so up the trail on the first day. about 12 hours from home also lol. Mine seized and pretty well sent me over the bars. We towed it back and had to rent a sled for the whole weekend also. It didnt seize completely because I was still able to turn it over but it was very stiff.
Got it going again on Sunday to put it on the deck and then again on Wednesday to unload it. What did they end up replacing? Just the crank or did they sent a crate engine?

I guess we had a bad weekend, LOL. Mine seized after the 1st bridge on the sugar shack road. Got towed back to the truck and was able to free it up and get it loaded on the deck. It ran after just sounded really bad. From what dealer tells me, their going to do a crank and pistons, reuse the case. Hopefully have it going late next week.

I was up there the 20th to the 23rd probably passed each other out there. we rented a house from the sled den, rental sled was from there too.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
I guess we had a bad weekend, LOL. Mine seized after the 1st bridge on the sugar shack road. Got towed back to the truck and was able to free it up and get it loaded on the deck. It ran after just sounded really bad. From what dealer tells me, their going to do a crank and pistons, reuse the case. Hopefully have it going late next week.

I was up there the 20th to the 23rd probably passed each other out there. we rented a house from the sled den, rental sled was from there too.

We stayed in Marsoui and went with Aventure Chic Chocs. I rented a sled from them. Bent an a arm too so I also had to pay for that. Did they cover the entire rental or just one day?

J
Sep 18, 2011
Western Maine
We stayed in Marsoui and went with Aventure Chic Chocs. I rented a sled from them. Bent an a arm too so I also had to pay for that. Did they cover the entire rental or just one day?

rented for two days, left early on Saturday so didn't rent on Saturday. But Polaris covered both days, just needed to email copy of receipts to them and explain the issue with customer service. I was impressed I got that far with them honestly.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
rented for two days, left early on Saturday so didn't rent on Saturday. But Polaris covered both days, just needed to email copy of receipts to them and explain the issue with customer service. I was impressed I got that far with them honestly.

Ok cool, I had the rental for 3 days. Its been at the dealer now for two days and I dont think they have even started taking it apart yet. That part is really pissing me off because they dont even know what they need yet for parts. Bad enough I didnt even get it until the first week of January and now I have to wait again...

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO

That’s cool Polaris covers a rental for you. Actually really impressive.
Also it seems that Timbre is a bit slow demanding pictures, mileage, repair order numbers and post count and join date verification.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Ok cool, I had the rental for 3 days. Its been at the dealer now for two days and I dont think they have even started taking it apart yet. That part is really pissing me off because they dont even know what they need yet for parts. Bad enough I didnt even get it until the first week of January and now I have to wait again...

I would be upset!!!

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
That’s cool Polaris covers a rental for you. Actually really impressive.
Also it seems that Timbre is a bit slow demanding pictures, mileage, repair order numbers and post count and join date verification.

I'm working on it, Bro . . .just be patient and give me time hahaha!

Super cool that Polaris paid for the rental costs! I too am VERY impressed!

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Poll number just keeps inching up.

Didn't vote because it isn't mine, but pulled a friend's 850 out last weekend. Not sure what failed yet. 25 mile tow. Not fun. Sled has about 500 miles.

Sled I towed out last week (above) has been torn down. Engine was toast on top. Gear that runs the water pump appears to be some kind of fiber? Isn't metal. Failure may have started there. I don't know but the gear looked bad, top end gone and some damage in bottom.

Interestingly, I rented a Doo this weekend for my daughter. Rental guy said his fleet of Poo 850s have had 5 fail out of 8. Blamed the sealant issue and this water pump gear (which he mentioned before I said anything about the one I had observed so it may be an issue as well). No engine failures in his Doo fleet or his cat fleet. Has had a couple broken monorails on their alphas.

C
Feb 27, 2018
My 850 rmk suddenly started bogging at WOT at about 350 miles. Pulled it in the garage parked it for the night and the next morning there was a puddle of oil on the floor. Oil spattered all over the inside of the belly pan. Oil lines intact. Brought it to my dealer and they said it was ‘packing oils’. Hahahaha. They did a reflash and cleaned it up and sent me on my way.... rode the sled today and the bogging is worse and there’s more oil spattered on the bellyvpan and all around the motor. Dropped off at dealer and waiting for their response... my question is what do you think it could be? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nate.

Premium Features