• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LH Throttle, How many run one?

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello guys,

How many on here run a LH throttle and what brand? or has anyone made there own?

I know theres alot of snowesters that say you don`t need one,
but that respectfully is not the topic here,

I am giving a shot at making one, The wife and I were shopping around a few
bicycle shops the other day and I was trying to find a neat looking finger lever or finger pull to try to make my throttle control, To my surprise you can actually buy a Goldfinger there for bicycles, either LH or RH, I couldn`t see much difference other than the lettering was on the oposite side, but I really didn`t want to pay the $30 for it, yes I was being cheap, Lol. So I went to another shop and another they had new in the back and sold me it for $10 so when my skidoo single pin throttle block arrives I am going to make a lever and cable set up.

I know there is obvious safety features in the complete set-ups so thats why I will be drilling a small hole for a safety pin and I always wear my tether anyway.

Here is a pic of the lever i bought and will keep everyone posted on my throttle build.

So lets hear what you run and how you like it. and any other comments would be cool tool, except bashing!!

Thanks, Darren

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 88
J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
I have watch two sleds get the throttle jambed do to the left hand throttle either getting crambed on to there thigh or snow packing into the linkage on the right side, both resulted in major damage.

I will not run one after that and both guy removed theres as well all other in our group who had them.

Not bashing, your setup should work great and the one sled I rode with one made it easy to get the sled moving in some instances but I never thought about on my sled???

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't have a Doo but I have used left hand throttles on my sleds and like to have one. The handle is the easy part, the lever used to move the right side flapper is the key. Once you get that part figured out you should use some silicone on the cable housing ends to keep moisture out of the cable. If the cable ices up it can cause bad things to happen!

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Thanks alot guys, good info.

I am a bit leary about the LH throttle thing, I have seen a few unfortunate youtube vids of LH throttle carnige, I am not going to run a cheap bicycle
cable I am trying to find one that has a outside and inside liner for easy movement of the cable, The tip on having you hip of thy hang up on it is
well noted, I am still a learning rider like alot of us, and would like this option as a tool to make it easier to get out of some tight spots. If I think it ends up being a cobble job I`ll just buy the Throttle Logic or the Goldfinger..

Where this control is mounted feels good, and I have played around with trying to grab the brake and then the throttle, standing or leaning or setting on the sled in the shop and where they are both positioned would be difficult to grab the throttle rather than the brake of visa versa. Freezing is something I hadn`t thought of so if I get one built I`ll hopefully find something to keep the cable coated with. any suggestions?

this to me would probably help me get turned better in tight, off camber spots and get over father off the sled to sidehill a bit better since the triple has added a bit of weight to the front, even though I have stripped about everything possible after the 670 was pulled.

Keep the suggestions and info coming guys, and gals if so.

Darren

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
I run my cable exposed to the elements. From experience I can tell you if it's out there in the snow you need to clean it often. Because it's horizontal it never drains out any moisture that collects. On a cold day this can lead to it freezing up. Every other ride I spray some WD40 into the cable then blow it out with the air compressor. Also unless your wife is a experienced rider I'd leave hers off. That goes for men or women. They work great for creeping through the tree's off camber but for average riding they'll just get you into trouble. Tethers are a must.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I run my cable exposed to the elements. From experience I can tell you if it's out there in the snow you need to clean it often. Because it's horizontal it never drains out any moisture that collects. On a cold day this can lead to it freezing up. Every other ride I spray some WD40 into the cable then blow it out with the air compressor. Also unless your wife is a experienced rider I'd leave hers off. That goes for men or women. They work great for creeping through the tree's off camber but for average riding they'll just get you into trouble. Tethers are a must.

WD-40, Good idea. I don`t plan on putting a LH throttle on my wifes sled,
have a hardtime getting her on a sled especailly how my sled is set up with
the seat and bars higher and forward more. She don`t like the tippy feeling.
so The Arctic Cat 580 is good for her, lower set-up.

I also have the non x model Rev handle bars with the pad in the center And
I am going to run the cable through the bar pad, should insulate the cable
better.

still waiting on the control, should be here today.

Darren

S
Dec 14, 2007
I have a Lefty's on mine, usually forget it's there cuz I rarely use it, but when in a "tight hard left or stuck" situation it comes in handy. Just make sure to check them for free moving operation before starting the sled... or keep the saftey pin in it.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I received my throttle block today, it is the single pin type that came off a FIII with a 600 triple, looks like the wiring will plug right in and making a lever cable lever or bracket to attach to the thru bolt, (that will replace the pin)
looks like it will be pretty easy, I am pretty sure I have the reast figured out and will be workin on it in next day or two, I need to find a cable housing that is plastic or rubber coated on the inside as well as the outside for freezing safety measures, Pretty sure where I am going to get that.

Keep the advice and suggestions comin, definetly appreciated.

I`ll keep everyone posted and get some pics soon.

Thanks, Darren

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
I rode with a lefty on my Yamaha but it was heavy and I was not an experienced rider. I found that it made my overall throttle tension get tighter and tighter and yeah, eventually it stuck WOT on me (that was a fun little cornice drop though). I lubed it up and the same thing happened a few weeks later so it came off. Since I have been riding my Rev and I am more experienced, I find that I don't need it except a few times on really hard snow. I don't even have a Mt strap on anymore as the idea of having both hands on one side of the bar is just not a good way to control a sled. Just my $.02

Got a Goldfinger on my Frankensled, and I LOVE it. Rarely do I need to use it, but when your tight in tree's, right side downhill, standing on the left, need to lean and GUN IT, the lefty works awesome. NEED to be cogniscent of it when riding tho. I keep my pin out, but with me. If someone else rides it, I put the pin in. Seen to may people wreck a sled because they went to grab brake and got the unpinned lefty

Premium Features