• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Couple more mods, almost ready for snow

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Got a couple more mods finished up today , and I'll throw in a pic of the finished drop backets from the last round of mods. Moded the tunnel and got my mountain fit vents installed.

100_0530.jpg

100_0531.jpg

I had sagging rails on my running boards so I ran a T6 7/16 rod threw them before building the steps. I used the stock boards to build the steps to keep it looking pretty clean. You can see that I tapered off the tunnel just because I like that look better. I might build a new rear section for the tunnel later on but for now I'll ride it.

100_0532.jpg

100_0533.jpg

Here are my completed drop brackets, at the top ( just visable threw the hole ) I attached the brackets with two steel rivots, then two 5/16 stainless bolts, and one 3/8 stainless bolt. They are 3/8 thick and should hold up fine. I have them drilled for 1" and 2" drop, I have them droped to 2" and drilled down 1" and back 1/4" up front to keep thing lined up.

100_0534.jpg

R
Mar 9, 2009
looks great! weldings a handy skill to have. if i were you i would tip the handlebars straight up. it looks better IMO and gives you the likes of about a 1 or 2 inch bar riser

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Good tip, I was planning on adding a 2" riser but if tiping them up pulls it off then I'll do it, I just have not messed with that... but I'll head out there now to try it.

Remember I have never had this thing on the snow. I bought it bone stock with 600 miles on it at the begining of summer.

Here it was the day I brought it home.

102_0372.jpg

I've been welding steel since I was like 14 , my dad was a millwright at the time and thought it was a skill I could use. He taught me to stick weld and oxy/ace weld and cut, by the time I took highschool shop I was better then my instructor. That being said this was my very first project with aluminum, I still need to play more as the travel speed is faster and it just welds differantly then steel, and I need to get good stainless brush to prep with.

R
Mar 9, 2009
ya i just bought a 05 800 with the same graphics kit as yours. i haven't ridden it yet either but a friend told me to tip the bars up and i think it looks great! your sled looks much better now already than it did at first it think. i'm 16 and last year i took a metals class at my highschool and i love welding. this year im taking a marine fabrication class so im working with aluminum now instead of steel. its definetly tougher but we've got wire feed welders at our school so that makes it a breeze!

R
Mar 9, 2009
one thing i don't know about though is having the bars straight up instead of leaned back might move the rider position forward. this could be a problem, i guess i'll just have to wait for some snow to figure it out.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
It's not to hard doo. If you search around snowest you can get the measurents to cut the axle and the spacer tube. The stock bolt is metric but I only had SAE taps so a 3/8 bolt is super close in diameter and uses a 9/16 or 14mm wrench just like the stock bolt, so at least the tooling is the same side to side. Once you cut the axle and the tube, just drill and tap the side you cut off for the bolt. Be sure to drill as straight as possible and be sure your taps starts clean and not off center. Just take your time with it.

Tools needed:
Tap 3/8 course thread or what ever the stock bolt size is
hack saw or sawzall ( I used the sawzall )
Drill and drill bits, I started small somewere around 1/8" and steped up
ruler or tape measure

You will need a large heavy washer on the outside, in this picture I have some that are too thin but the diameter was good so I cut some 3/8 thick aluminum ones on the drill press but flatbar could be used to make some cool looking ones real easy.
100_0483.jpg

Here is the inside, you just unbolt your adjusters flip them inside and bolt them back on, the stock adjuster/spacer blocks from the outside are the correct spacing so you just use them.
100_0484.jpg

Here, per this thread http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87208&highlight=cut+axle+wheel

You should cut the axle to 8 7/8" and the spacer to 4 1/4", I double checked the number when I did mine but that was correct
I like doing things my self, and this is a pretty good mods to do yourself. I did the same thing to my old arctic cat and tryed my best to destroy it and never could... good luck and happy cutting.

Last edited:
Premium Features