• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who Makes The Best Clutch Kits?

What Clutch Kit Do You Run?

• Total voters

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Indy Specialty and TRS are essentially the same thing. Pick your poison.

Indy Specialty will sell you a kit with everything you need and they have many variations of adjustable weights (all similar in concept to the Lightning Weight) that can tailor to various snow conditions, elevation, and rider preference. And they are readily available. Indy Specialty answers the phone if you have questions or something isn't working right for you.

"TRS clutching" is a do-it-yourself approach which requires you do your own testing for your sled, conditions, preference etc. You also need an understanding of how clutching works so that you can tune your own setup.

In my experience (and many others), when you get the original lightning weight clutching (TRS) dialed in, it is hard to beat.

Edit:
I should add that there are very well defined and documented TRS setups for the Southern Montana/Wyoming snow conditions and elevation. The DIY aspect comes in when you differ greatly from those conditions, like the cascades, alaska, western canada, east coast, etc.

Last edited:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I hope Tony gets his sled soon so he can get us a setup. I'm waiting for his recommendation for clutching. I don't get enough time to test with travel time and work getting in the way.

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
Ran a Silber turbo setup @5psi & their supplied clutching last season. I averaged about 25 miles before I blew a belt.

Called up Indy Specialty and ordered their full turbo clutch kit. Blew 1 belt the next 1000 miles, and that was because the deflection screw snapped while riding.

Oh, not to mention, the IS kit greatly improved low & mid range responsiveness

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Balanced by Indy Dan, EPI weights and Venom spring per the owners manuals recommendations for my elevation and beats friends sled that have name brand clutch kits. Polaris does a good job of dialing these in from the factory. If you can actually tell the difference by running someone elses kit I would like to know the brand and results.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Balanced by Indy Dan, EPI weights and Venom spring per the owners manuals recommendations for my elevation and beats friends sled that have name brand clutch kits. Polaris does a good job of dialing these in from the factory. If you can actually tell the difference by running someone elses kit I would like to know the brand and results.

TRS and Indy Specialty clutching runs cooler in mountain riding. Cooler = more efficient. But they are not that great in a drag race.

benltr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2013
The TRS clutching on my 2017 Silber Axys was easily beating the recommended Silber clutching with the kit in a drag race. The TRS seems to have long leg, runs cooler and have way more bottom end (less weight).

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
TRS and Indy Specialty clutching runs cooler in mountain riding. Cooler = more efficient. But they are not that great in a drag race.

The standard clutch set up is not for drag racing. ( it's a boon docking tree riding set up )

If you want to drag race give us a call and we can get you set up with a complete different driven helix & spring for drag racing.

We have 4 different Mountain helix's ( our main goal on our listed kit is belt life and throttle response )

And we can custom cut Also

Dan

Last edited:

Timmy!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2018
MDS Clutching

I have the MDS kit. Very happy. 18 163 2.6

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
We are releasing several new clutch weights this season.

Holeshot Adjustable series , ST-1 Hole-shot ST-2 Holeshot & ST-3 Holeshot ( these weights are designed with a very aggressive hole shot with very low spring rates. )

Also releasing a new super heavy Adjustable Turbo weight in the 90 gram area that high boost guys have been asking for.

The ST Holeshot series weights will fall into a very unique area....

Riders that like Aggressive throttle response Boon-docking from the ST-1 or ST-2

IQR races will feel of pull off the line they have never felt before from the ST-2

Drag racers and Trail riders that love an arm stretching feel off the line or out of the corners of the heavier ST-3 Holeshot adjustable.

The ST Holeshot series is the most aggressive clutch weight ever design that uses very low spring rates without the use of a engagement notch.

But still can be used with velvet smooth engagement with super low 90 PSI springs if you like low engagement.

First run limited quantities are completed and are out for heat treating and should be ready to ship before Thanksgiving.

Dan

Premium Features