• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do your children attend any Avy or Safety classes?

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I'm curious as to how many take their kids to avy, first aid, or snowmobile safety classes with them? If you don't, why not (besides the very young age reason)?

Kids are sponges when it comes to learning. I know locally we are working towards more and more school age training with the Avy info. I don't see many folks at classes with kids, and it makes me wonder why, especially when we offer most classes for free.

All of these things are important for our children to learn as well as ourselves. :)

D
Oct 7, 2009
Washington
Yep, we're taking our 14yo to the class next weekend at the Sled Shed...also did an ATV training for Oregon (online) that I had him do with me.

His memory is like a steel trap (well, except when it comes to remembering to do his chores :rolleyes:) so half the time he's reminding me about something or another that we've learned.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Good point. #1 age group for fatalities in the US is the 21-25 year olds. #5 for fatalities is the 16-20 age group (This is out of eleven age groups). What I am finding locally is that younger and younger school students are skiing and snowboarding out of bounds. As young as the 6th grade are skiing lift accessed backcountry. It has become the thing to do for 7th and 8th graders to ski the avalanche chutes. Most don't have any avalanche gear or education and most of their parents don't know they are doing it. It has taken years to get programs set up in some of the local schools.
I have talked to ski patrollers in other parts of the country and have asked if the local kids are prepared. They said at the local area they are, but it took a kid getting killed for everyone to buy gear and take classes. Unfortunately, avalanche education tends to be reactionary instead of proactive.
It's better to prepare them young, before they are in the age group for the most accidents. Mike Duffy

H
Nov 26, 2007
Preston, Id.
We take our kids to the class room and the mountain training course, my 12yr old boy is one of the fastest in our group locating a buried beacon.

When we get back to the truck from riding I always hide my beacon and have the kids find it while I load up.

S
Feb 25, 2009
Prince George, B.C.
We will be taking our 13 year old who rides with us to our avy training, the instructor (Lori Zacaruk) even recommends it. What we as adults don't pick up, our kid surely will. Besides, it just makes sense to start the education young. That way it is second nature to them as adults.....:)

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
My 12 and 15 year olds will take AST1 this fall. They are sledding more in agressive terrain and now are geared up for sledskiing so its a must. Didnt really know at what age they would "pay attention". This seems like the right time.
Thanks
RS

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Great to see that folks ARE taking their kids to classes, and making sure they have the knowledge needed to try to stay safe out there!! :face-icon-small-hap We are the parents, and need to set the example, as well as help their learning.

Very good idea on hiding a beacon while loading up and having the kids find it. :face-icon-small-coo

Does anyone ever hide a beacon in the yard, or around the house, and have the kids find it?

S

sled*dunk

Dec 3, 2007
Rock Springs, WY
Yes, my 16 yr old will be going for the 3rd time this year. I want the info drilled into his head and pick up any new tibbits possible. It's always a different teacher, so different info/style. He is stronger and has more energy than I do, but I hope we never have to put it to use digging anyone out. He'll know what to do and pray to God he doesn't get caught in one either.
Our club is in the process of planning a class next month and we will advertise at the high schools and the college.

C

cobbycat

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 15, 2008
salmon arm, b.c.
took my daughter (15) to ast1 last year. on the practical day on the mountain she consitently got the best times on the beacon search and understood everything very well. we dig snow pits every time we are up and I get her to explain the snow pack to me and preform stability tests. she has been bang on every time. I would highly advise to get your kids in the course. it could save their lives, and maybe your's.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Spokane, WA/Bozeman, MT
I'm 18 and have attended the last 2 years, hoping I can find a class for this year as well. When I have gone the majority of attendees have been older and middle aged folks, but there are always 2 or 3 families that bring kids 16-10.

PatMan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2008
Mackay, ID
As an avalanche awareness instuctor I welcome people bringing their kids, I have yet to have a kid in one of my classes classroom or field class that was disruptive. I appriciate parents sharing this with their kids, and the kids usually end up helping the parents, not just in the field but they (the kids) have incredible recall when it comes to information and they love to show it off in front of their parents. I say everyone should bring a kid, if you have to borrow your neighbors kid!

S

slednutz

Nov 28, 2007
Pipestone, MN
www.theslednutz.com
I don't know if I really consider myself a kid but you never really see to many 18 year old kids at them like I was when I first started going. To me this is one of the ages that need the education the most from 18 to around 24. Even though everybody should go these are the ages where many irresponsible decisions can be made.

G
Jan 29, 2009
Walla Walla, Washington
My Brother(14) and myself(17) have been attending avalanche courses since we started riding off-trial. We're hopefully scheduling with Zac's Tracks this year somewhere around E.Washington/N.Idaho, heard very good things about them. Our whole riding group will be taking the course, ranging from 12yrs-51yrs(about 7 riders in HS)

M

mannix

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2008
I bring my 11 year old daughter to as many as she can stand. She likes them - particularly the shorter ones. She kinda fades at ~3-4 hours. I'm not sure how much she REALLY gets out of it, but we were sitting on the sled last weekend & she pointed out a windloaded ridge - she's picking something up.

IMHO, it certainly can't hurt.

Iain

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
My Brother(14) and myself(17) have been attending avalanche courses since we started riding off-trial. We're hopefully scheduling with Zac's Tracks this year somewhere around E.Washington/N.Idaho, heard very good things about them. Our whole riding group will be taking the course, ranging from 12yrs-51yrs(about 7 riders in HS)

GDG, What area of E. WA are you in? I hired Lori of Zac's Tracs a few years ago to do an avi class at my home just to get all the youth that my boys and I ride with and ourselves some knowledge. I would be game to work with you to do it again depending on how close we are. Pretty important stuff, good on ya for working that direction. I am also working with a senior who is doing all aspects of back country snowmobiling as part of his senir project. Maybe you two could combine efforts.

I am also planning to do some beacon days on the hill and even an over nighter survival stay with just whats in your pack. I'm in the Kettle Falls/Colville area, let me know. Have a good one. EW

G
Jan 29, 2009
Walla Walla, Washington
GDG, What area of E. WA are you in? I hired Lori of Zac's Tracs a few years ago to do an avi class at my home just to get all the youth that my boys and I ride with and ourselves some knowledge. I would be game to work with you to do it again depending on how close we are. Pretty important stuff, good on ya for working that direction. I am also working with a senior who is doing all aspects of back country snowmobiling as part of his senir project. Maybe you two could combine efforts.

I am also planning to do some beacon days on the hill and even an over nighter survival stay with just whats in your pack. I'm in the Kettle Falls/Colville area, let me know. Have a good one. EW

EW,

We're actually from Lind(Near Ritzville) but mostly ride at Priest Lake, Idaho with occasional trips to Dayton, WA(blue mountains). My dad tried to schedule Zac's tracs at one of the main resorts at Priest lake last year but it didn't quite work out as planned and things came up with mostly all the people signed up so we had to cancel it. My dad, brother, and I are involved in Priest Lake Search and Rescue where we will be attending an all night survival stay in the mountains this January, 2010. I'd be very willing to help set up a course with Zac's tracs just let me know in what general time of winter would work for you and we'll come up with a set date. Thanks.
GDG

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
GDG:

I'll see what dates we can make work and let ya know. I would also be interested in the overnighter if it is open to non SAR folks. I can actually ride from my side of the world by sled over to Nordman. Used to know the folks at the Grandview years ago.

Lets keep in touch and see if we can combine efforts. If you know Greg Whitmore tell him I said hi, my wife was on a Hotshot fire crew with him back in the day. Talk to you soon. EW

G
Jan 29, 2009
Walla Walla, Washington
GDG:

I'll see what dates we can make work and let ya know. I would also be interested in the overnighter if it is open to non SAR folks. I can actually ride from my side of the world by sled over to Nordman. Used to know the folks at the Grandview years ago.

Lets keep in touch and see if we can combine efforts. If you know Greg Whitmore tell him I said hi, my wife was on a Hotshot fire crew with him back in the day. Talk to you soon. EW

Sounds good, I'll talk to the SAR commander and see if it would be ok...And about Greg Whitmore, I've been dating his daughter since 8th grade, so yeah i know who he is :D
GDG

Premium Features