• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

axys narrow front end options likes and dislikes

S
Nov 2, 2009
Hugo, MN
looking at doing narrow front end on axys 800. Looking for feedback from others on what they have ridden, what they like and what they disliked.
I am leaning on ordering a 36" kit from Alternative impact but I'm open to hear what others have to say. I also see a few companies doing narrow spindles. Does this actually work decent or is there drawback to this?
Thanks

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I ran alt impact on my pro ride and loved em. I bent 2 rod end which is exactly why they are there. Make sure you pack a lower/upper rod end for the big rides. Also Dan is a good guy to deal with and he his on these forums sometimes.

on my axys I went with trenchers since I found a good deal and they are local to me. Easier to find a replacement if needed.

Of all the 36 inches a arms kits they will be 99%the same ride wise IMO.

I'm not a fan of offset spindles because you end you with the skis sucks up under the assembly. To me it doesn't make any sense having your front end setup like that. And the spindle is more exposed to hit and creates more drag in the snow. People will probably disagree tho.

I run the skis centered on the 36inches kit for the same reasons.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
I have off set spindles and never hade a prob although a guy cant deny that they will hit the snow {or drag} more than the stock but its never ben an issue {washing out on a side hill}. the only thing I didn't like about the narrow front was how easy it tips over in a turn on the trail, as I try my best to NEVER ride trails or hard pack/wind blown snow it was well worth the trade off!

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
don't be scared to tip the sled, embrace it run it on one skis for as long as you can.

Being in Quebec the deeps snow is not always there or you have to find it. We spend lots of time on hard pack snow the western guys would not even ride. Ita tippy yes but you ride it with this in mind. You won't turn much corner wot....

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
looking at doing narrow front end on axys 800. Looking for feedback from others on what they have ridden, what they like and what they disliked.
I am leaning on ordering a 36" kit from Alternative impact but I'm open to hear what others have to say. I also see a few companies doing narrow spindles. Does this actually work decent or is there drawback to this?
Thanks

The drawback is stock a-arms are junk.

Narrow your front end though, you won't regret it.

My personal favorite is KMod or Raptor, the abuse they'll take is amazing but they'll still go before the bulkhead does.

benltr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2013
I suggest you look at www.trenchers.ca/en

They offer bolt on kits with no modifications needed. Price are in CAD!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
We did the spindles only. Wouldn't ride an Axys without narrowing it somehow. No notable issues with just the spindles but you need at least 2" overall to get what you need imo. In deep snow the stock width is fine. Unfortunately it isn't deep all the time and the narrower front is worth every penny regardless how you do it.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Anyone know if the 850 36” front end will fit on the 800 axys ?

Great question - rumor has it - yes they will fit. My understanding is that the bulkhead didn't change so the bolt up won't change either. Things to consider - the new shocks ('19) are shorter than those used on the '18's. Can you run your shocks from a 39" front like the '18 - some say yes. That is what I'm doing. [Haven't been able to run it yet waiting for first trip out].

Bigger question for you - do you want to pay the price for Polaris parts and [questionable] strength ? For a similar price (and many times less) you can go aftermarket and get stronger parts. [Granted, having a weak part as the intended fail point (rather than a more significant part taking the damage - i.e. bulkhead) can be a good thing]. To each their own on the benefits.

Or keep your eye's on the Classifieds for someone selling '19 takeoffs... ?

As far as being tippy on the trails compared to the orig '18 front end - yep, but that's a small price to pay/adjustment to make for improved handling off trail. Hoping that I can "keep the shiny side up" as I adjust on the trails. Off trail, the adjustment to the narrower front end is likely to be awesome entertainment for my riding buddies for the first few days :)

Nov 23, 2015
I've been in the same boat as you earlier last year. Ended up getting ZRP off-set spindles narrowing my front end to 37" and been VERY happy. I ride Western BC.

Thought I'd add that offset spindles DO work well. So perhaps consider them as well.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
FWIW I have a 2019 850 with a 174 track. Buddy has exactly same machine. He is running the narrowest ski setting and I run the center position. He rode mine and could not believe mine was tippier than his. Why? he asked. I had tightened center skid shock 3 turns. These sleds are super sensitive to shock adjustments. I still would narrow the 16-18 sleds with off-set spindles but make sure you try adjusting your suspension too. There may be lots to gain.

Premium Features