• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How was your experience going from Pro chassis to Axys chassis?

What were your thoughts in transitioning from Pro to Axys?

• Total voters

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
I know, I know, I know

@tdblakes
@beartoothbaron
@tuneman

Yes, yes, yes, I know that the 155 is sooooooooo much better than the 144 for all the reasons you talked about and then some. In fact, I have done exactly what @tdblakes says. I own a 155 Axys, and love it. I offer to him to ride it very often and he has a little bit but for the most part just isn't interested. In my mind, I'm fully convinced that if he really just tried the 155 for long enough, he would like it lots more, but alas, I can't get him to really even try it for very long. Every time he comes right back and says he wants his 144 back...so...I'm kinda done fighting it and now I just roll with it. He likes riding his 144 so who am I to tell him he's wrong?

As far as getting an SKS 146, yes we have looked at that, and really considered it very heavily, but they are very hard to find around these parts (Utah), considerably more expensive, and, to be totally frank, even though I own one, I'm not sure just how sold I am on the long term durability of the current Polaris 800 engine. I am sold on the durability of the 600. My dad likes to buy sleds and then have them for 15 or 20 years while he invites all the freeloaders in the family to ride his old iron and he really doesn't like to have super heavy maintenance and repair bills during that time.

Thanks to everybody for the responses so far. Please keep them coming. I'll keep you updated on what decision he finally makes hopefully in the next few days.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Gonna have to agree with everyone. I bought a 16 Axys 155, could not ride it. I had a 2013 Pro 163 that I could not ride either. Was never comfy on them, they got me in trouble. I am a Doo guy, not good enough to rip a Poo or the steering doesn't agree with me. Regardless, I went on a ride with my bud, he had a 2015 Pro, I had the 2016. We swapped and I did one turn and sat and waited for my sled. It felt horrible, heavy, ran rough. Axys is much better than the Pro and the engines evidently actually hold together. I know of one guy with 2600 on original engine, another with 2900.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
it always interests me how some folks can ride both
i'm like you jumped on my buddies doo 850
i couldn't ride it at all
we had the same look on are faces when we switched back

what the hell is wrong with that sled !:face-icon-small-hap

:focus:

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Got it

Well, he bought it. She's a beaut clark. We are BYU fans and it matches their blackout uniforms so that's an extra bonus. I guess now I just sit and pray that he adds himself to that overwhelming majority above that I am part of. Thanks again for your input. It is very much appreciated.

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UY0FvY5Ea9ei3HaGZVDAhrS8cuGqkT9P/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
I bought a demo'd RMK-Pro 800 AXYS because my '15 Pro was in the shop due to an a-arm coming unglued (which took out the shock), and simultaneously dropping a cylinder (900 miles on the sled). I didn't want to miss out on the awesome snow we were getting, so I bought the AXYS, and figured if I didn't like it, i'd sell it when I got my Pro back from the shop.

My personal opinion:

The AXYS chassis (and 800 HO engine) is better in every single possible way when compared to the Pro chassis.

I'm really not sure how Polaris plans on bettering the AXYS chassis.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Polaris had a LOT of work to do to get me to go back to them in 2013 and buy a Pro RMK .... I was previously a 900 RMK owner and swore I'd never own another Polaris.

I'd been running a boosted M8 from 2009-2013, and loved it, but wanted another sled.

I was, quite literally, on the way to buy a 2013 Skidoo Rev XM when I got a call from some friends who were at the Polaris dealer in West Yellowstone and told me they'd sell me a 2013 Pro RMK 163" for a really good price (wound up being a few grand less than the Skidoo).

So, I bought it .... Loved it, it was a great sled. I honestly didn't believe the hype about the Axys sleds when they came out in 2016, but after spending the 2017 season on a new Axys RMK 163", I was thoroughly impressed. I've since traded that sled off and bought two different Axys sleds I was so impressed with them.

Polaris really did their homework on the Axys chassis, I just hope the Curse of the Dragon doesn't come back to haunt me with the 2018 edition of the 800 monoblock motor.

C
Nov 22, 2017
Colorado
I've only been riding a year. Last I moved out west and bought a 12 Pro 800 and a 14 M8000. While I got stuck riding on the M8 most of the time due to everyone I rode with wanting the Poo, The Pro was easier to ride. I was lighter and and I could turn and (somewhat) hold a side-hill on it. In order to really go where I wanted, I always had to have a leg over (I'm still pretty green). I sold the M8 this summer and snow-checked an 850. Holy-Hell, I was an expert last week the first time I jumped on the AXYS. I could powder-turn, side-hill, and go where ever I needed with little input. So much better in every way. I really need to sell the pro now so I can get another AXYS.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Update

Hi Everybody,
We are still very early season here in Utah, so he hasn't been able to go crazy on it yet, but he has gotten at least a little bit of riding in. So far so good. He even mentioned the other day that he might be "riding harder" just because it comes easier. Results are good so far, but hopefully the Christmas break will give us one or two really good powder days so that he can really be certain he loves it.

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
This is such a marketing plot from Polaris . Pro's ride like crap and the Axys are easy to ride and the handling is awesome .
I ride an 11 Pro 163, no swaybar with stiffer front springs and rear suspension set just right. I carve, wheelie and pretty well go where I want and in the trees too.
Sled does whatever I want it to do with ease. Rode my buddies 12 Pro very similar set up to mine. It rocks also.
Tried my other buddies 13, 14 Pro's, well I tell you it sure feels like the front end has that 50 lbs weight in the front end like everyone talks about. Sled sits lower in the front, and the front end just doesn't want to come up, seems stuck to the ground no matter what setting are done to suspension. It's a horrible sled to ride. The front shock were shortened on the 13,14,15 Pro's, for that reason to make the transition to the Axys easier for anyone buying the Axys or just trying it out. They would love it because it is easier to ride than the Pro that they screwed up by changing suspension geometry just to make the Axys the new sled of choice.
I tried an Axys was it better well not sure, when I traded sled with my buddy with the 12 Pro 163 set up similar to mine, I like the handling and the predictability of the Pro. Just more in control and another thing is the Axys could not follow me on the pro. Both me and my buddies riding abilities are very close to each other. So both sled were compared to one another.
Would I buy an Axys in the future probably, sooner or later you want to upgrade but Polaris will change body styles soon, I think I will ride my Pro till then.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
This is such a marketing plot from Polaris . Pro's ride like crap and the Axys are easy to ride and the handling is awesome .

I ride an 11 Pro 163, no swaybar with stiffer front springs and rear suspension set just right. I carve, wheelie and pretty well go where I want and in the trees too.

Sled does whatever I want it to do with ease. Rode my buddies 12 Pro very similar set up to mine. It rocks also.

Tried my other buddies 13, 14 Pro's, well I tell you it sure feels like the front end has that 50 lbs weight in the front end like everyone talks about. Sled sits lower in the front, and the front end just doesn't want to come up, seems stuck to the ground no matter what setting are done to suspension. It's a horrible sled to ride. The front shock were shortened on the 13,14,15 Pro's, for that reason to make the transition to the Axys easier for anyone buying the Axys or just trying it out. They would love it because it is easier to ride than the Pro that they screwed up by changing suspension geometry just to make the Axys the new sled of choice.

I tried an Axys was it better well not sure, when I traded sled with my buddy with the 12 Pro 163 set up similar to mine, I like the handling and the predictability of the Pro. Just more in control and another thing is the Axys could not follow me on the pro. Both me and my buddies riding abilities are very close to each other. So both sled were compared to one another.

Would I buy an Axys in the future probably, sooner or later you want to upgrade but Polaris will change body styles soon, I think I will ride my Pro till then.

Spoken like true “purchase justification” always does.

“What I ride is the best”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
I guess I’m that odd one in the group, I don’t see that much difference between a ’16 and my ‘14. The throttle isn’t as stiff as my ‘14. But both my ‘14s are paid for which plays a big factor as in why do I want to throw down another $25k for two more sleds when my two sleds always bring a smile to my face when i ride them.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I wondered the same thing about threads that would keep popping to the top, with no new post! Now I know. Anyway, it's good to hear dissenting opinions. Sheetmetalfab's post has some truth, but it cuts both ways. I don't doubt the AXYS is where you'd want to start if you can, but here's what I wonder: how many of the people saying "night and day" between a Pro and AXYS went from a bone stock Pro to an AXYS? There have got to be some who haven't even serviced the shocks. That alone could make a huge difference. Again, not trying to downplay the AXYS – it's just that I can see where someone with an upgraded and well-sorted Pro might not be overwhelmed.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I wondered the same thing about threads that would keep popping to the top, with no new post! Now I know. Anyway, it's good to hear dissenting opinions. Sheetmetalfab's post has some truth, but it cuts both ways. I don't doubt the AXYS is where you'd want to start if you can, but here's what I wonder: how many of the people saying "night and day" between a Pro and AXYS went from a bone stock Pro to an AXYS? There have got to be some who haven't even serviced the shocks. That alone could make a huge difference. Again, not trying to downplay the AXYS – it's just that I can see where someone with an upgraded and well-sorted Pro might not be overwhelmed.

I agree setup is key. I had a 2013 pro with a 155 and loved that sled even with the stock crap shocks. I upgraded, well I thought it was, to a 2014 pro with a 163 X3 track and hated how it handled. It had the fox evol shocks and I never could get it setup right and always rode really heavy. Felt like the front on the 14 weighed 50lbs more than the 13 I had. After riding it last year I sold the 14 and bought a 16 axys with 163 2.6 track. Taking it out tomorrow to see how I like the axys chassis. One thing for sure the fit and finish on the axys plastic is tons better than the pro.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

I guess my opinion is formed from owning and setting up suspension on three different pro’s then a couple axys sleds. (Currently I don’t own either)

Bottom line.
The Axys properly setup outperforms and outhandles the pro.

(I had way more money in my pro than I ever put in the main axys)

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Heres my take, coming from Modded edge,Apex, Dragons, 2 pros then the axys...The Axys rides better than the Pro, however, it is NOT a jump like the others were, ie edge to dragon, huge move, dragon to pro, big move, pro to axys, smaller move. Yes its a bit better in every way, just that sleds are like most things evolving to a somewhat common point and thus the improvements are smaller and smaller as we refine them more and more. Also as we move foward the sleds require less and less work "out of the box" to be a very nice package. IMHO

Premium Features