• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil pump 97 super sport

S
Nov 25, 2018
Just bought my first sled in a number of years, 97 super sport. It’s mint, low miles. Only thing, the gas cap had 40:1 mix gas written on it by the last mechanic that worked on it. I called him and he stated the oil injection didn’t work and to just run premix.

Question is, how hard is it to replace the oil pump? Looks easily accessible but I know there can be more to it than what meets the eye. Any advice would be appreciated.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Should be about as easy as it looks. Disconnect the oil lines, couple screws, make sure the key lines up when you put the new one on, reconnect the lines and replace the screws – and you're done. While it's off, it would be a good idea to verify it's not the oil pump drive by turning the engine over and making sure the drive turns with it. Also, don't forget to bleed the oil line and run pre-mix until you're sure it's working (it'll be smokey and may foul plugs, but that won't hurt anything).

Premium Features