• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

88 Snoscoot 80cc 121” or new 18 200cc Snoscoot?

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
88 Snoscoot 80cc 121” or new 18 200cc Snoscoot?

Those of you that have been around the Snoscoot, which one would you buy? Now that the 18’s came out, did the value of the 88’s just go down? What is a stretched out 121” (in good shape), worth? Worth $2,500?

Looking to buy my 6 year old son (7 next year), a sled.

Running it on flatlands, might try to get to the mountains when he is 8. Can these things run ok in the mountains?

Or just scrap the whole idea and go with a 340cc? I’m really torn.

Thanks for any input.
YB

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I long tracked a SnoScoot for a guy and used it some. It was surprising how well it went for a 121x12 track and not much power. It hauled my 250 pounds around in knee deep powder with no problem and the 60# kids like a dream. Fuel/oil capacity become a concern if you want to go very far. I put a Phazer pod on it plus it had hand warmers. I vote for electric start models. Kick starting one of these in the cold would not be something I would consider as a fun time. Not sure on price, but this particular model changed hands since then and was for sale at the snow show for $2250 last fall.

I also long tracked my Indy Lite 340. 136x1.25 track, plastic skis, electric start and hot grips. The kid thought this thing was awesome as it would tractor everywhere and was not scary for them. At 8 yo, that might be about the minimum age (size) to start handling that in a safe manner but that all depends on other factors. I think I have $1200 into the sled and all the stuff I put on it.

If you elect an Indy Lite, make sure it is a chaincase model and not a direct drive. The CC models can be long tracked, whereas the DD models are limited on gearing, drivers and thus track options.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
How handy are you?

To me this question depends completely on how handy you are. I am not handy. I bought an 80's snoscoot about 4 years ago and my first thought on the first time out was "What the crud did I just do? I bought a 30 year old machine with a 2 stroke engine in it?" I sold it real quick once the visions popped in my head of me hauling it down to the dealer multiple times per year etc. etc.

I just bought a 2018 and my 8 year old loves it. My 5 year old is more timid and still likes her 120 better, but she can drive it just fine. For me it's a no-brainer to go with the new one but that's because I'm not a handy DIY guy. If I was, I would probably be a lot more attracted to the less expensive, and lighter old scoot.

72901d17cfb02dc2f50d3a565a8ad699.jpg

Premium Features