• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99 RMK lights keep blowing

T
Dec 11, 2017
I have a 99 RMK that the lights keep blowing out, I have replaced the regulator with a after market part, It take less that a few minutes for them to go out, also the high beam indicator glows dim until I bring my RPM's up, also the tach doesn't work. I have taken the seat off to eliminate the rear wiring.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Get hold of a voltmeter so you can read the voltage from a yellow wire to ground. It should be no more than 15 VAC with the regulator connected and motor revved up to 3000 rpm or so. The tach runs off the lighting voltage. Usually it doesn't blow when the regulator goes bad.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Also make sure the ground where the regulator is bolted to is clean and corrosion free as it is the ground reference point for the regulator. I usually put a star washer on it so it gets a good bite onto the regulator.

T
Dec 11, 2017
Ok, so I put on the new updated style regulator and made sure it was grounded,checked the voltage. Still over charge,I even tried a led bulb rated at 12-24v and it still flicked and burned out, the tach is working intermittent,volts are 8 idling but are as high as 30 at higher rpm,did I get another bad regulator?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
It sure sounds like it or else there are some wiring issues. You should never see more than 15 VAC at higher rpm. Make sure the harness side of the connector for the regulator is good. Check right at the connector for the AC voltage. I have had new regulators go bad after a short period but not usually right away.

T
Dec 11, 2017
Ok, I did some more checking, I had my volt meter on AC not DC so on DC I get no voltage at the headlight or at the regulator but I am still getting lights for a little while from somewhere, I’m guessing my lighting coil is bad, so it’s built into the stator but is separate from the ignition system part but must be replaced as one unit? Is there a way to test it?

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
The lighting circuit is AC not DC. Your meter needs to be set to VAC to test the voltage of that circuit. Like retiredpop mentioned, you should have no more that 15 VAC otherwise you'll continue to burn out the lights.

Someone with a schematic will hopefully post resistance values for the lighting coil. It won't hurt to check this but given the problem you're having, which appears to be overcharging, I doubt you'll find anything wrong.

It seems you have either gotten a dud new voltage regulator or the regulator itself is not properly grounded. I'm not sure how that machine is wired but there could be a ground fault between the stator & the chassis yet the ground to the lighting circuit is still intact.

That's where the schematic would come in handy.....

Ok, I did some more checking, I had my volt meter on AC not DC so on DC I get no voltage at the headlight or at the regulator but I am still getting lights for a little while from somewhere, I’m guessing my lighting coil is bad, so it’s built into the stator but is separate from the ignition system part but must be replaced as one unit? Is there a way to test it?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
This is a super simple system.

Are your grip heaters functional?

Tail Light functional?

AC-Voltage test should be done with these loads on.

Check ground of the regulator...the regulator MUST be firmly attached to the chassis of the sled.

Is the engine ground (brown wire) clean of corrosion, not frayed, tight and well attached to the chassis under the nut/bolt of the voltage regulator.

Which voltage regulator do you have?
The original one in this video...or the new one in the video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFQMgr9KD54

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uFQMgr9KD54" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
T
Dec 11, 2017
Thanks for all the info!!! I have the new style regulator, check the wiring back to the regulator and found the connector is all messed up where it comes out from the stator, looks like it’s been hot, hooked up everything temporary and now getting the correct voltage just have to make me a new connector

Premium Features