• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Air Box Modifications, Anyone?

Anyone out there have experience with airbox modifications? I recently had my sled torn apart in the back of a sled shop working on it on a Saturday, older guy been working there for 18+ years suggested separating the air box and removing the shelves from inside, especially since I had V-Force 3 reeds and a full SLP exaust system & air intake.

I bent a few tabs when separating the box, so gunna wrap black duct tape around the outside of the box along the seam to ensure no hot engine air gets sucked in. Testing it all out for the first time next weekend!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
If it is an 08 with the "original map" in the ECU you can run without the shelf. Be careful with snow ingestion, buildup will lodge under the throttle plates. I don't recommend it.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Don't do it. No proven gains from doing this on an IQ with fuel injection, and you may start throwing codes from the sensor that is in the box. There is a reason no aftermarket companies have ever jumped on a "kit" to do this.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I bought my '10 660 from a RMSHA racer that is supported by Carl's Cycle. I asked him about it since he spends a lot of time in Jack's shop. He said it showed no gains so they leave them in.

It is a good idea to tape the seam on the box though as it can ingest belt dust and the like into the intake.

From riding it around yesterday, the overall sound of the sled got slightly louder. It's already loaded into my buddies trailer waiting for this weekend coming up lol, so perhaps I'll go this trip without the shelves and then my Dec 12-15 trip put them back in to get the comparison? when I pull the box back out I'm for sure wrapping the entire box with black duct tape around the seam, however for this trip coming up I'm gunna reach down each side as far as possible to seal it up. One trip should be ok.. first I had heard about making the O2 sensor code show up though

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I remember reading on here that a couple guys relocated the sensor under the cover for the ECU and voltage regulator to keep it satisfied. I can't remember who it was though.

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
EEK,,, Duck Tape is Not the answer..

To keep the air Box tightly sealed.. Need to use some Handle Bar wire..

Go through where the little clips are.. make a loops twist up till tight ... Cut nice and short bend over..

Do all clips..

Then you can put a Duck Tape seal on seam..

My .o2!!

I remember reading on here that a couple guys relocated the sensor under the cover for the ECU and voltage regulator to keep it satisfied. I can't remember who it was though.

What are side effects of "dissatisfying" the O2 sensor? Will it just throw a code if hooked up to a computer? Dash code? or will it cause other issues that may possibly effect me on my trip this weekend that I can watch for while riding

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
That sensor reads incoming air which effects your fuel flow.... Just leave the airbox alone, there is absolutley zero gains to be had, this is not an old carbed engine where you yank the airbox and install open foam filters.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I think you'll like how the sled runs better with the box put back together properly. The SLP powder flaps and air horn kit are also good suggestions!

Matt wasn't anti duct tape, he wanted to make sure you tied the box seam together tight first, then put tape over it.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
No need to modify the airbox even with some solid mods (head and pipe). Dyno proven the stock box flows just fine and even removing the shelf will cause a loss of power.

Premium Features