• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Switchback 600 Driveshaft

D
Nov 29, 2014
Hello I am new to snowmobiling and the forums
I bought a 09 switch 600 with a non working speedo, i thought it would be as simply as changing the pick up but after going through it found out that the bearing spun on the shaft and there is about 2-3mm of play.

I cant afford to spend $600 on a new shaft
will a 1590392 shaft from an 05 900 work?
my machine uses
1590411 superseded by 1590490. all are 2.52 and 9T.
do I have any other options?

thanks!

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
By comparing the two driveshafts and the chaincases I really don't see why the 900 driveshaft would not work. All related parts are the same number except for the driveshaft itself. Have you thought about building up the worn area with JB weld or a similar Loctite product and machining it down?

D
Nov 29, 2014
By comparing the two driveshafts and the chaincases I really don't see why the 900 driveshaft would not work. All related parts are the same number except for the driveshaft itself. Have you thought about building up the worn area with JB weld or a similar Loctite product and machining it down?

that might be alot of work! dont have the tools to machine it, and I dont think it would really hold up with JB weld.
its all pitted and that tells me its really ****ty and soft material they used on this... oh pooooh-laris

IMG_20141129_145542.jpg

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Yeah, that is pretty chewed up. Do you have access to the 900 driveshaft to do a quick visual for comparison before you lay out the cash for it? If they are dimensionally the same it could be just a difference in thickness of material in the driveshaft itself. Maybe the older ones were beefier.

D
Nov 29, 2014
Yeah, that is pretty chewed up. Do you have access to the 900 driveshaft to do a quick visual for comparison before you lay out the cash for it? If they are dimensionally the same it could be just a difference in thickness of material in the driveshaft itself. Maybe the older ones were beefier.

i found out the 05 shaft is 1/2 shorter then 06+ shafts so they are obsolete.
went to see the man for the job and he might be able to re sleeve the race or get a tighter bearing

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
Yaaa.

Looks like you need to get out the Wet dry sand paper!!!
Start maybe with 320- 400/ then to 600-/800
Have fun! Make Nice!!

Then Cut Down a Feeler Gauge!! Works like Magic!

Have a new shaft in about 2 hours elbow grease!

D
Nov 29, 2014
I got the driveshaft back in there... jesus what a chore!!!
I replaced all my bearings. gave her a clean and all..
took her for a spin and my speedo still not working, i thought the bearing might fix it.. whats next $100 for the pick up sensor?

D
Nov 29, 2014
Looking at the pic..

I don't see the Magnet.. in the end of the shaft..

How about your new shaft did it have the magnet? That's how the sensor can pick up the signal..

oh yeah man I bolted the little thing on the end, the magnetic sensor on the other hand, is chipped. thats prob why its not working at all?

Last edited:
Premium Features