• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Solution for ECM code 6????

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Sled is a 2010 M8 with OVS Tial kit. Running 10lbs, 112 Sunoco fuel and Amsoil. Riding at 9k feet. Has an RK Tech torque head on it.

Today I made 3 longer climbs back to back and when I came to the top of the hill after my 3 climb my guage showed ECM 6. So I shut sled off. Waited just a second and started it again, guage cleared and but little wrench was still on. So I shut sled off again. I normally let the sled idle for a 10 to 15 seconds before I shut it off but I didn't this time. I was surprised at the code 6 and I forgot to let the sled idle a bit.

I waited about 10 minutes and watched my friends play around, then went back to start up my sled. It wouldn't fire at all. I do have that little switch (I call it a choke, not sure what correct name is) and I flipped it and pulled rope 3 times and still nothing. Waited another 10 minutes and still nothing. Friends and I waited over 45 minutes and checked for spark, had great spark, pulled plugs and gave the rope a pull and fuel came out of plug holes. Put new plugs in and pulled the rope and still nothing.

We were in a nasty location and I had to leave the sled in the hills. There is no way to pull this sled out. I need a solution to this so I can go back tomorrow and get this sled out.

Sled has never had an issue with starting. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Last edited:
J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
I copied this from another site, hope it may help you. Sucks leaving your sled out on the hill. Call Travis at OVS in the morning, he should have some good advice for you, he is a whiz with this sort of thing.

If you had 1-6 or 6 I would think the sled would still pop, 36, maybe not so much. Good Luck.

Number of Flashes Trouble
(Check Engine Light)
1-2 - ---- Failure in ignition coil
1-6 ------ incorrect adjustment/ failure in APV cable
1-7 ------ failure in exhaust temp sensor
1-8 ------ failure in servo motor
2 -------- failure in injector(s)
2-1 ------ failure in knock sensor
2-3 ------ failure in knock control system
4 --------- open or short circuit in barometric pressure sensor
5 --------- open or short circuit in water temp sensor
6 --------- open or short circuit in intake air temp sensor
7 --------- open or short circuit in throttle position sensor
Steady Flash = Coolant Temperature Above 80°C (176° F).
Constant On = Coolant Temperature Above 93°C (200° F

Number of Flashes Trouble
(Wrench Light)
31 - Stator failure (input open or shorted).
32 - High power DC output deactivated (headlight/handwarmer).
33 - High power DC output shorted (headlight/handwarmer).
34 - Low power DC output deactivated (gauge/taillight/APV valves).
35 - Low power DC output shorted(gauge/taillight/APV valves).
36 - System under voltage(below 11 volts).
37 - System over voltage. (above 15.5 volts).
38 - Gear shift actuator failure(over current or over temperature).
42 - Tachometer input failure (engine running-no tachometer signal present).
43 - Gear position switch failure (did not change-no (or invalid)position input).
44 - CCU over temperature (above 105° C - 221° F)

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Thank you!

I did see this in another thread while I was searching.....intake air temp sensor. I also read that it's located on the bottom of engine on Mag side. I'll call Travis and see what he thinks. I tried to call from the hill but my Blackberry was so cold it wouldn't work.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Air temp sensor plugs in to the airbox. It should not stop the sled from running. If you have fuel coming out of plug holes you are FLOODED. Take the plugs out and depress engine stop switch and pull it over about 50 times to get as much fuel out of the cases as you can. Clean plugs. Put them back in. Give it half throttle and pull and it should start right up.

Now go get a new air temp sensor.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Thanks Racinstation. I'm going in after the sled tonight or early in the morning. Hopefully no one steals it!

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
No one even attempted getting to where my sled was. I kinda counted on that, but you really never know. I went after my sled today with a good friend and his wife. We left after church and got up there as fast as we could. My sled had about 6 inches of fluff on it and no tracks anywhere :) I dusted off the powder and put the belt back on. Gave it 1 freakin pull and it started! (and I did but 8 plugs Racinstation :) )

Sled worked great all the way back, ECU 6 was on display the whole time. I didn't shut the sled off til we got to the truck. I had to use the hot start switch to start it again and when it started it was very boggy. But I got it home. Now I just need to check everything out.

Thanks to my good buddies who went with me. Having women who are skinny and light and can ride too make it nice when you have to ride double!!

Premium Features