• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Leatt Brace for Snowmobiling?

C
Oct 5, 2009
Vail, CO
Hey everyone! So I have been playing with the idea of wearing a Leatt brace when sledding. Has anyone had any experience snowmobiling with one?
:present:pray For SNOW:present:

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
very well known in the motorcycle industry. very prevalant in motocross, supercross, and freestyle MX. rarely now do you see an event without all particapants wearing this device. think HANS device for auto racing. helps avoid permanent neck/spine injuries.

i think though a great idea, will be hard to fit over or under our clothing we wear for sledding. ski

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
I have seen a few people wear em out sleddin, IMO I think It would fit fine, a jacket would be about same as wearing one with a chest protector. It would be a good idea if you plan on jumping and don't want to break collar bones with your helmet. Not very fun when they break, last summer sucked even worse then this summer. haha

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
As a downhiller who loves being in the air, and a sledder that hates the ground I think they're a great idea. I'm a bit worried about how it will work in the snow, but at very least it would be a good idea in the spring.

Don't be hatin just cause you don't know what a leatt is... you need to get out more!!!! :D

M

mtn_rider08

Dec 17, 2007
Prineville, OR
Would be good to wear if you are going to be jumping around and what-not. For boondocking, it would suck. You are very limited as to where you can look while wearing one, you pretty much look forward and thats it.

Somebody is wearing a neck brace in the Slednecks 13 teaser.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Would be good to wear if you are going to be jumping around and what-not. For boondocking, it would suck. You are very limited as to where you can look while wearing one, you pretty much look forward and thats it.

Somebody is wearing a neck brace in the Slednecks 13 teaser.

No, not true, not true at all. Do you own one or have ever wore one?

I own a Leatt Club. I race dirt bikes, I wear it everyone time I ride and I do not even notice that it's on while riding. Now I will admit I've tried the lower end Leatt Adventure and because it's not adjustable I noticed it while standing in attack mode. The rear of my helmet would hit on it and not letting me look far enough out but rarely if ever do you ride a sled standing with your upper body above and in front of the bars.

I see no reason why it you couldn't wear one sledding, pick jacket without a hood and throw it over the top, they are fully adjustable and work with backpacks and camel backs.

Last edited:
B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
Its the foam neck brace that Velcros in the front, that doesn't allow you to move your head at all. A leat brace you can look just bout anywhere that you normally can.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
in the downhill biking scene at whistler lots or rippers sporting the leatt braces these days. in fact i see a lot of people that wear no protective gear other than a leatt. the new alpinestar ones are supposed to be very comfy. unless your jumping doing backflips or racing on hard packed ice, i think the type of crashes where the leatt braces are most effective (thrown over the bars doing a pile driver head first into hard dirt) are far less common while sledding. they might help with trauma during an avy or maybe if you go off the trail into the trees but then you have other problems. wonder if i would interfere with an avy pack?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The A-star unit has been am improvement according to my DH buddies with them, but OUCH, big $$.

No, they would not affect an avy pack, it would just go behind the brace.

I've had a number of crashes where it would have helped, I can see even a boondocker type rider slamming into a tree & having one make a difference.

I DH in the summer & honestly I'd like to have one more for winter than summer.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
The A-star unit has been am improvement according to my DH buddies with them, but OUCH, big $$.

No, they would not affect an avy pack, it would just go behind the brace.

I've had a number of crashes where it would have helped, I can see even a boondocker type rider slamming into a tree & having one make a difference.

I DH in the summer & honestly I'd like to have one more for winter than summer.

yah i really wanted the new a-star one for this DH biking season but too spendy. recently had a good kayak buddy break his neck biking and that was a harsh wake up call. if i had one i would probably wear it sleddin. sure would hate to leave it at home that one day in a million you do a header into a tree...

and regarding the avy pack i was thinking more about the snowpulse bags since they deploy at and wrap so tight around the neck area. so not necessarily interfering with initial deployment of the bag but how the bag will fit around the brace after inflated.

Last edited:

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i have one, and tried it last year, i hated it. its not really designed for bulky clothing and if you wear it on top of your jacket it will put pressure on the bottom of your helmet. if you wear it under your jacket, your jacket wont zip up all the way. it would probly work in warmer spring riding when you might just wear a sweat shirt. i didnt wear a chest protector with it when i racedmx a couple years ago. i felt it made it too hard to move. i do sorta have a short neck tho, so it was adjusted all the way down for my short neck. JMO.....

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Interesting, I've never heard that complaint with the adjustable version. How bulky of clothing are you talking? I never wear more then a shell and a base layer and the pins that come with the leatt can easily adjust for it. I wear mine with and without a chest protector for moto and it does not restrict me in any way on the bike, off the bike it can but that doesn't matter.

I boondock and have considered wearing mine for if the sled were to roll onto me, I could see some situations where it could really bend you the wrong way. I've guys wearing the around here, even on powder days, I mean why not?

I actually had a Astar brace for a while but returned it. The Leatt is much higher quality and adjustable, the Astar is not adjustable. The Astar brace is just not as nice as the Leatt IMO. I had a medium Astar. There sizing chart I was on the border of M/L so I down sized. The thing was huge, I could lift it off my head with it latched, and I wear size XL helmets so it's not like I have a small head. My main concern with the Astar was that it did not come contact with the rear of my helmet when I tilted my head back, if I were to unstrap my helmet and push it back it would hit my back not the brace, so i do not see how it could prevent hyperextension of my neck in that direction, which from what I've gathered is the most damaging. My Leatt on the other hand comes in contact with my helmet just as I reach the limit of my necks natural extension.

just my .2 cents, hopefully some of you can find it helpfull.

Last edited:
Premium Features