• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

astrick knee brace

M
Nov 27, 2007
bonney lake
has anybody tried these? i had acl and meniscus surgery 5 weeks ago. they are telling me 7 months before i should try and ride. i am not that aggressive of rider and i just got my new sled so was thinking i could use one of these braces and be good. i also heard the are covered by insurance. does anyone know about that also?

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
Had this injury and all i can say is do the physical therapy like they tell you and you should be a 100%.

As far as riding careful doesnt take much to twist and tear it some more.

My .02cents.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
The top two knee braces are made by CTi or Donjoy

get a custom one made to fit so it is comfortable. This will encourage you to wear it when you really need it and not leave it back in the truck.

The good ones cost more than a grand...but you get what you pay for. Your OS should be able to check if your insurance will cover it before ordering.

Good luck on the healing process and make sure you do you PT!

J
Sep 28, 2009
Kimberley BC
I would take the time off the sled, in your position. If you rush it, you will wind up back under the knife. Also, I wouldn't be surprised that if you blew it again in two months, your insurance wouldn't cover the follow up surgery due to you not listening to the doc.

Not to be mr. buzzkillington, but knees are one of those things you never appreciate until they stop working properly.

I would agree with the above statements as well, get a custom fit super brace. There is a reason all the top athletes in sports use the CTI ones, they work. (moto cross dudes, bmx dudes, and likely some sled dudes)

:beer;

whatryan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
lemars iowa
i have to agree. pt pt pt do it!!! it works. i also agree dont rush it once u mess it up your going to wish u would of stayed home. your lucky to have two knees i only got one dew to a motorcycle reck. wish i could have it back every day just let heel up man

P

powderules

I can't really speak for the Don Joy or CTi custom braces, but I will say that the Asterisk is the best "off the shelf" knee brace for extreme sports use. I would dare say that in the Motocross and Supercross racing they are the most widely used. They really do fit great if you take the time to do it. The hyperextension lockout is cool. They are light and slim fitting. Thumbs up for Asterisk. I've never seen insurance pay for the BTW.

P
Sep 14, 2008
I just had the same surgery last wednesday. Doc didn't even give me a brace for recovery. He said i'll regain most of my strength without one. But i do ride dirt bikes and other high impact sports so i am curious as if i should get one to prevent it from happening again.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
they are great braces, i got a pair after acl surgery when i got back on a bike. i stopped using them though. they are for sale if anyones interested

M
Jan 6, 2009
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I had my ACL and meniscus done on May 20th and I am at 100%. Three I was biking on flat terrain within a month and doing small hikes at two months. By four months I was able to go backpacking about twenty five miles ( about eight per day) with a forty lb pack. I am 5.5 months out and hardly think about it any more. There are times when I am scared of doing something but that is because I went 18 years without and ACL. My biggest issue is the muscle memory of doing things a certain way before surgery.

I have a CTi brace and it works fine. It was covered under my insurance and is a perfect fit. They are guaranteed for a year and I send it back for a little refurb around 11 months. The last two times I have done this they replaced all the straps, padding and hardware for free. I had one with a stress fracture and they replaced the brace for free. The brace will occasionally rub my leg raw on the thigh but that's after hiking 10+ miles.

I am pretty hard on the brace wearing it climbing, biking, snowboarding, hiking, sledding, and playing hockey. The CTi is bomber and the warranty kicks butt.

Edit: do all your PT and ride a bike as much as you can. You are through the hard part. Do not push it. Listen to your PT, eat right, ride a bike, ice, ice, ice.

Last edited:
S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
I have MCL and miniscus damage from sledding last march.I have been wearing the asterisk brace for the last 3 months while working.Before the brace I kept reinjuring.Do the Physio and stay off the sled this year.Knees reinjure very easy and in a second you can undo months of healing.I wish I had the brace right from the beggining and will be buying a second one for my other knee when I ride.I am 48 yrs old and mainly boondock in the mountains and love bashing thru the creeks on my 09 D800 but I will be very carefull this year and sit a little more

i use a donjoy off the shelf. i think its the armor model.. it was 900 bucks just for my left and worth every penny. i could not afford a custom donjoy, they are about 1400 bucks. i did tons of research on this topic and i was told donjoy is the best and thats why i chose them.. but like everyone else is saying pt pt pt pt pt pt and more pt!!!

here is a good website and this is the one i bought http://www.betterbraces.com/ViewProducts/DonJoyArmorFourcePointProtectiveKneeBrace/656.aspx
here is the custom http://www.betterbraces.com/ViewProducts/DonJoyKneeBrace-DonJoyDefianceIIICustomKneeBrace/506.aspx

Last edited:

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
im pretty sure cti makes asterisk braces and they are there off the shelf model. i had a pair and they are pretty awesome. kinda bulky tho, they will take time to get used to. i want i try the fox pod braces next. they are supposed to be a little more comfortable

M
Nov 12, 2008
Flathead
I know a few people that have gone with the Asterisk braces and they love and swear by them. For $599 its a damn good buy. Like mentioned above, if your insurance covers a pair of custom fit braces GET THEM!
A buddy of mine just had ACL surgery a couple months ago. He was warned by his Surgeon that in the first 2 months his knee would feel great and seem to be the strongest it was going to be, if he stayed loyal to pt, but that after about 3 months it would become prone to re-injury... just a healing process I assume. Long story short he ended getting back on his dirtbike 2 months after his surgery and didnt have a knee brace on. He said he made one small mistake which ended up re-tearing his ACL, meniscas, and bursted some bubble behind his knee cap! Hes had two surgeries since and is started the process all over!
Be careful on that thing man. PT and braces no doubt. Good luck

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The asterisk braces are nice... but your insurance should pay for one...

Custom is better than OTS...

I wear the CTi vapor sport with the patella protection on both legs... Top notch protection... light and it does not slip down..

I had the Donjoy... top notch brace, also custom fit, but I did not like the step thru feature. and had to take boots off to put it on.

The asterisk is a lace up model.

Another OTS brace that is nice are the POD-MX ...

With surgery... your Dr. should be able to prescribe a brace... I'd try to push him into prescribing 2 braces for your legs as the other one may be prone to the same injury.

MX riders, rodeo riders, football players hockey players, wakeboarders and many others wear knee bracing to protect themselves...MANY with healthy knees that dont want to go thru what you have.

Give your knee time to heal...Eat right, do the exercises that the OT is telling you to do Religiously .... you dont want to end up a rickety ole man when you are only 45... trust me on that one!!

S
I tore my ACl, PCl, and MCL this summer. had the surgery on Aug 6th and after much pain and PT I am doing great. I have a BREG Brace and will wear it all the time when riding this year, It has been 9 weeks since my surgery and running up stairs and working on agility. As everyone else said, PT,PT,PT. Do it as they say and be patient.

B
Dec 21, 2006
Custom is good to a point. If you get your measurement done before your leg is back to normal size, the brace will not fit properly. That is the good thing about the OS braces. The same company that designed CTI (Castillo Family) is the same company that designed Asterisk. They have an upper and lower strap that is adjustable for upper and lower leg size. The nice thing about Asterisk is that for $600 you get both left and right. That being said, I currently wear a Donjoy after my surgery. Mine is not custom but my doctor adjusted the size(it has an aluminum frame) with tools. I like it but it was also $750 5 years ago. As said above, PT is the key. Dont rush it or you will pay dearly later

The asterisk braces are nice... but your insurance should pay for one...

Custom is better than OTS...

I wear the CTi vapor sport with the patella protection on both legs... Top notch protection... light and it does not slip down..

I had the Donjoy... top notch brace, also custom fit, but I did not like the step thru feature. and had to take boots off to put it on.

The asterisk is a lace up model.

Another OTS brace that is nice are the POD-MX ...

With surgery... your Dr. should be able to prescribe a brace... I'd try to push him into prescribing 2 braces for your legs as the other one may be prone to the same injury.

MX riders, rodeo riders, football players hockey players, wakeboarders and many others wear knee bracing to protect themselves...MANY with healthy knees that dont want to go thru what you have.

Give your knee time to heal...Eat right, do the exercises that the OT is telling you to do Religiously .... you dont want to end up a rickety ole man when you are only 45... trust me on that one!!

how do you like the vapor? do you wear it on both knees? was the only complaint about the donjoy that you had to take off your boots? i am about to get fixed again (acl, mcl, pcl, mpfl and a lil miniscus work) and i want to get both knees braces when i have the work and it seems like cti is covered under insurance.. i have already spent out of pocket money on my hurt leg b/c of what i have read and what the docs have told me that donjoy is the best.. just looking for the best knee braces possible and money does not matter.... ;)

Custom is good to a point. If you get your measurement done before your leg is back to normal size, the brace will not fit properly. That is the good thing about the OS braces. The same company that designed CTI (Castillo Family) is the same company that designed Asterisk. They have an upper and lower strap that is adjustable for upper and lower leg size. The nice thing about Asterisk is that for $600 you get both left and right. That being said, I currently wear a Donjoy after my surgery. Mine is not custom but my doctor adjusted the size(it has an aluminum frame) with tools. I like it but it was also $750 5 years ago. As said above, PT is the key. Dont rush it or you will pay dearly later

what donjoy model and do you wear both knee's? do you snowboard at all? i am wearing the armor on my left leg and wanting to get one for the right. how do you like the donjoy? other than the high price and not being covered by insurance do you think it was a good buy?

Premium Features