• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to change clutch weights

mountain man

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Craigmont, ID
Looking for advice on how to change clutch weights while leaving the primary cover on the clutch. New to AC clutches. I was told i could change the weights while clutch is still on sled. My dealer screwed up and way over weighted my clutch they forgot i still had the 4 post primary. Any pointers would be deeply appriciated.

B

BRUSHMASTER

Nov 26, 2007
Northern, MN
There are tools for this a two fingered fork looking tool and a sheave holder that looks like a C you use the fork to compress the sheaves and the holder to hold them closed. They are fairly inexpensive tools if you are changing weights a lot.

A
Dec 4, 2007
Fairbanks
You can either remove the cover that holds the spring on and take tension of the clutch, or use pry bars to compress the halfs together and leave one in it keeping them closed while you change the weights. Then you take a torch and heat up the set screw on the back of the weight. Heat it just enough to loosen the locktite. I believe it is a #4 allen, could be off. Then after you remove the set screw use a wrench and a socket to remove the nut and bolt that are still holding the weight in. I use a magnet to pull the weight out. Then insert the new weight and install the old nut and bolt, make sure the o-rings are on it, on each side. Re-locktite the set screw and turn the bolt until the divot in the bolt lines up with the hole in the weight. Install the set screw back in. While you are there check your rollers for any play. They should have next to no play in them. Now turn the clutch and do the next weight. I am sure others have there own methods. I wouldn't mind hearing other ways. I personally don't like pulling my clutch more than I absolutely have to out of fear of damaging the crank shaft. I know it probably can't hurt anything but I just don't like doing it.

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
you can pry pressure off weights with a good bar and hold in position with a little block wood...as well the c clamp is easy to make if you want to go that route

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I do it just like AKM8 but I only use the prybar with one hand when i am ready to remove the one and drop in the new. I use the other hand for that. In other words I don't keep the clutch open the whole time. We have all the holders but I find it easier this way.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Keep your fingers out of the way, If your pry bar slips off and your finger is between the weight and the roller its going to hurt!

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
pull the belt.
pry open.
wedge an extra weight in while open to hold it, and your good to go.
be sure to use heat on the set screw, or you will be wishing you had

Z
Nov 26, 2007
st francis mn
I change my weights all the time on my sled. i compress the clutch with a small C-clamp apply heat to the set screw (use a small butane torch) then remove the set screw, remove the bolt i rotate the clutch so i can use a impact on the bolt since the loctite locks the bolt to the weight sometimes spin it a few times with the impact and it will slide right out, i also have one of those mechanics magnets it makes getting the weights and washers in and out a lot easier, then i put the new weight in, put the bolt in i always make sure that the indentation in bolt lines up with the set screw hole visually, put locktite on the set screw, install set screw. move on to the next weight

Premium Features