• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vholdr Contour HD 1080P Helmet Cam

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Just bought one, looks like a helmet cam. What are some tips and tricks from those of you that own them. A few questions come to mind.

1. How do you avoid losing when bouncing off trees, use the strap mount?
2. What pic quality do you run at, full 1080?
3. I purchased with an 8GB card so it should hold quite of a bit of video I would think?
4. Don't think I would trust the flat surface stick on mount. Are there other mounts you would recommend?

Looking forward to trying it out. Thanks for any input.

S

sledhed88

Dec 13, 2007
I got one of these aw well but havent used it yet. They just came out wit a handlebar mount, which im going to purchase. I think it will be the best

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
i use the flat mount on my helmet and have had no issues

i run on 1080 all the time.

you'll need a video editing program that is capable of hd to edit your videos

i got pinnacle stuido 14 for $30 from office max and works great.

Spyder73

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Great Northwest (360)
Have had mine on the goggle strap, bout 12 rides now, no issues except for getting the right angle. Ditch the 8g and grab at least a 16g. My 8g seems to fill before the battery dies. Hint: some of the best video I have is when I chase others, or give my camera to them and have them chase me:face-icon-small-hap. 1080 is outstanding quality, just hard to play on my POS computer. Also thought about mounting to helmet but mine seems too rounded. some of the new FLY helmets seem to have some nice flats on them for sticking the disk. I did a double teather on mine with 550 cord. Enjoy it, again it really works well. I even caught an avalanche on mine during a climb, Really makes ya think after reviewing the video over, and over, and over, well u get the picture,,,,

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
Have been using mine most of the season now and really like it. I have run mine on the goggle strap the whole time and have some pretty nice vid. But you do need to take a little time to get your aim right. That is where the lasers come in handy.
As said above would get an 16 card for longer days the 1080 takes up space pretty fast. And make sure you have every thing shutdown on your computer when viewing the vid because it does take a lot of ram to run the 1080 stuff.
Have fun with it.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have one too. Sweet cameras, but make sure you charge the battery. I left mine plugged into my Mac overnight and the next day while out on the trail the camera was dead. The Mac went into power save mode and disabled the USB port power so it was not charging.

I use the camera strap mount and it seems to work well. I'm afraid to put it on my sled because it will get more snow, be more shaky and the sled takes more shots from trees, snow and debris than my helmet does.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
No issues with it falling off of the goggle mount, like was said before, getting the right angle was difficult but worth the wait. I thought mine was messed up, but it turns out that my computer just wasn't fast enough to load the vids.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
great cam....contact zachcreek on here for deals

goggle strap...suction cup mount..handle bar mount...custom helmet boom

put it where ever you can and see what you can capture.

when in 1080 mode you are only using 110 degrees..all other is shot in 135 degree So i rarely shoot in 1080. Unless i am missing some setting that can be changed?

Only had mine come off the goggle strap once...but was saved by the leash. I make a little zip tie leash when mounting on my hood or other surfaces with the suction cup mount.

The best is when you can get a two shot..with a stationary cam catching the same stuff then edit it together.....

a quick example..this was shot in 1080 and you can see the perspective is a little tight IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-XTYmfwSV0

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I put a bid in on one of these this evening.
After today's ride, I REALLY wanted to have a way to record it.

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
Vholdr rocks. Easy to use and killer results. I too was worried about the camera falling off of my helmet so I used a trac pass lanyard from the Kansas Speedway. Good luck with the videos >
HillsboroRaceEngines118Large.jpg
>>>.

A
Thought I replied to this awhile back, guess not...
I have the 1080p, 2 batteries, 16GB & 4GB chip. Sticky mount to Klim f4 (barely fits but works well), tether hooked to my quick strap mount. Run 720p @ 60FPS. Hasn't fallen off yet, have several rides on it. I plan to get a 3rd battery and maybe replace the 4GB with an 8GB. Heck, even thought about getting a second less expensive CountourHD and move that one around to different mounting spots on the sled, maybe next season.

Example of the results - click here

Edited with Adobe Premier. There has to be cheaper software that is faster and do the simple edits I'm using.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Zach says he shipped mine out.
Can't wait for it to arrive and get a chance to play with it.
Then it's time for the accessories.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Lost one on boulder on the weekend....had it rigged up on a pole from the backpack...rider went into a tree well and got bucked off....and then got on the boost and then stopped. We dug for an hour and never found it. The little plastic tether clip broke...just a warning.

Premium Features