• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Small crack in rails. What to do. Can i fit 14 rails in my 13?

Storskogen

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2014
Sweden

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
I mean you already have them off the sled and even the skid apart. Try and find some used ones. I don't mess around with "fixes" like that when it could leave you stranded in the back country or even get hurt. And if you jump then a double no

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Cheap but risky option: Drill the crack tips. Weld the original cracks all the way along the sides to the top. Grind smooth on edges and weld in an aluminum stiffener. Monitor.

The problem with aluminum is that it fatigues and cracks at a relatively low number of stress cycles compared to other metals. And there is a weakened zone around the crack that is also susceptible to cracking given more cycles. So, the metal around that crack is not good. Welding will actually weaken the metal but will relieve the stresses in the metal around the crack. Hence you need to add fresh aluminum to spread the stress loading around the original crack.

But you have to consider that those rails probably have more fatigued zones that are getting ready to crack next. So, you might successfully patch these cracks only to move the stress adjacent to the reinforced/repaired area...and more cracks start there.

So, by repairing, you might just be moving the problem a few inches down the rail.

This is why they junk old aircraft airframes...aluminum fatigues fairly easily and quickly...and if one area fails...more are close.

Not what you want to hear...but you should try to find some low mile, used rails and replace both. If a rail breaks, you could cause way more, expensive damage or, worse, hurt yourself or someone else.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Aside from some eleaborate doubler plate. Like others have said, once they crack, its sort of a lost cause. the OEM cat rails are stupid weak to start so they flex a ton and crack like your seeing.

Highly recommend IceAge. Way better then stock. Or obviously look for some cheap takeoffs. Your already halfway there with the rails off the sled. Not worth putting it back together with those.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I agree fully with what Jim and Wheel House have said. Tried repairing a set on my M7 and they didn't last. Multiple spots started cracking later. Scrap them and find new ones.

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
They will fit if I remember correctly the 14 rails are a little shorter because they moved the suspension mounting holes back like 3/4 of and inch

H
Feb 13, 2011
Over here
Ok got the new MY14 skids in my hands ,
how do i mod my 13 to move the skid back toward the tail an additional 0.75 of inch and also down ? from MY13
Im told those changes allow the rear suspension to flatten out when launching in deep snow.

Is there any pics or DIY threads on drilling the holes and what else to do ?

Thanks

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah I tried to do it to my 13 when I had it to flatten out the attack angle but I needed rails from a 14 the 13 rails were to long couldnt get the suspension back to the new holes

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah when I drilled my holes that I ended up not being able to use they just missed the river your x ia by

Premium Features