• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 MC or M8000 LTD

O
Dec 10, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Hello everyone, looking at a 2017 M8000 Limited or Mountain Cat. I am just wondering the opinions on them from folks that have been on them before. I'm out west riding one or two trips a year and I'm a decent rider but not as good as a lot of you are. Little bit in the trees but not all day, I would say just all around riding but nothing too crazy.

thanks!

Lacombe08

Lifetime Membership
Feb 6, 2017
Hey,

I own a 2017 MC and I have to say, being a brp owner my whole life it only made me a better rider and ease of riding the trees and all around deep snow. I recommend the MC due to all the upgrades (narrow running board, dropped chain case, etc). Some great upgrades are the BDX ypipe and clutch kit. Huge improvement over stock!

Hope you enjoy your new Cat.

Regards,
Hello everyone, looking at a 2017 M8000 Limited or Mountain Cat. I am just wondering the opinions on them from folks that have been on them before. I'm out west riding one or two trips a year and I'm a decent rider but not as good as a lot of you are. Little bit in the trees but not all day, I would say just all around riding but nothing too crazy.

thanks!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
if you're not mountain riding all the time the MC might not be worth the extra cost for you. the 17 LTD is a great mountain sled. the black ones were the sharpest color scheme cats done yet imo. you could put some better skis and a diamond S can on it for the price diff likely.

O
Dec 10, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Thanks for the replies!

it is for out west only, unless we see a 30 inch dump up along the south shore of lake Superior, than it would only be out on the county land to play for a day. I do like the color scheme of the LTD and I would be able to get ES on it. looking at 50 in November and that little black key to turn and go is looking better all the time! I was wondering about the drop and roll and if that is a huge difference. Not really knowing exactly what that does for you in my mind I'm guessing it gets you up and going on top of the snow a bit better from a stationary position. Like if you were in the trees picking your way or maybe stopped to help dig out someone.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
MC with the dropped driveshaft has lower approach angle that helps crawl up on the snow and does not lift the front end as much to keep more of the track in the snow. It also uses the 8T drivers instead of the 7T the limited will have if it has the 3" track. Helps get the power to the track more efficiently. I thought someone said the 2017 limiteds have higher gearing to help compensate for the 7T drivers but I haven't confirmed that. Otherwise it would need to be geared up like previous years. I do like the limited color scheme better though. I like e-start, but I'm not keen on the 30lb weight penalty that comes with it.

O
Dec 10, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Thank you for that info, it would have the 3 inch track. So the gearing is something else I had no idea about. The extra weight is for sure something to think about. really starting to sound like the MC is a better built setup. I just hardly ever see using it anywhere else really.

thanks for all the info, very helpful.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Not sure if the 2017 has the updated starter assembly?
If not, not worth buying. The system from 2012-20?? Didn't last to long and quite the job to replace.

Mtn Cat is definitely a better performer for extreme riding. General riding probably won't notice any difference other than gearing.

O
Dec 10, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
yeah, I'm far from extreme that is for sure. So also thinking along those lines I would guess that a 162 vs the 153 might make up for some of that? Given it is to be used out west and not any trails here. A 162 might allow for some minor mistakes with out making a lot of work out of it. I'm actually coming off an old 02 mtn cat 151, last year i had to rent a few days. that was a 18 sno pro 153, really hard to get back on that 02! but I'm taking my oldest son out this year to try it. If he enjoys it we will dump the 02 and I will get him something for next year.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have 14/16 sno pro 153x3 and an 18 Mtn Cat 162x3 and there is a big difference in the 2 machines.
The 162 is very forgiving!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
oh ya if its a dedicated western sled then go for the MC. btw, gearing was upped on the 17 non-MC, so track speeds are pretty identical. I ride a buddies 17LTD and I have a MC, until it gets stupid steep you really can't tell a difference. a little more forgiving taking off in deep maybe, you can dig deeper with the narrow boards before getting stuck.

O
Dec 10, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Thanks SnoJet, the dealer has 153 and 162 LTD but only 153 MC. just have to wait a bit more for the basement project to wrap up so i am able to nail down my budget. Always a hard sell to own not one but two sleds you cant ride around here! :face-icon-small-hap

C
Jan 14, 2012
Not sure if the 2017 has the updated starter assembly?
If not, not worth buying. The system from 2012-20?? Didn't last to long and quite the job to replace.

Mtn Cat is definitely a better performer for extreme riding. General riding probably won't notice any difference other than gearing.

You referring just to electric starter assembly correct?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
You referring just to electric starter assembly correct?
It has a tendency to fall apart.
A little research and what i found was the update is for 2012-2016. I am assuming the 2017 has the updated from factory.
abb28a2f82488b3b25b9fc3250f942f4.jpg
8bbaca92313671e5ca11a7805aa2284e.jpg

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I have a 17 MC 153 and my riding buddy has a '16 LTD 162. I have spent more time on his than mine, just because mine is still pretty new with only 325 miles on it.

You probably wont notice the dropped chaincase until your abilities progress some. The LTD is an awesome sled, it will take you anywhere with the 162x3. It is more forgiving with a bit more floatation. I went MC because I was coming off of Polaris which has had the dropped driveshaft for years and I like the more playful nature of the 153x3.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I wouldn't want the ES for the weight, the Cats are already a bit porky. The upgrades on the MC make it easier to advance on since it will be slightly more capable once you get the hang of it.

Premium Features