• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Add Boondocker to my M7 or not?

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
I am doing the Speedwerx head, Speedwerx Fat Daddy single pipe and Speedwerx can on my M7. I'll upgrade the secondary also and figure out what to do for clutching. I can get a good deal on a Boondocker and I was going to get some EGT's and was just wondering if it would be worth me putting it on and learning how to tune on it. I should be able to gain some power and would like the knowledge of knowing how to tune. Just figured with a very mildly modded sled that I could take baby steps doing it. Or am I just dumb?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I would do it if the cost is not an issue. It will be good practice tuning with a controller, and the cost of an EGT gauge can easily be offset by avoiding even one meltdown. The M7 ive been around could stand to have some fuel pulled from the low end which you can do with the boondocker box.

Last edited:

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I think that with the head and pipes you're already doing you would have to get a fuel controller. I'm not sure I'd risk it without.

W

W A O

Nov 3, 2009
WEST JORDON UT
What elevation do you ride, I have a 06 M7 and have milled my stock head 10 thou and run that pipe and have a HPS can and have had no problems at all with no controller, but I ride at 6500' and up. If you are lower then 5000' I think you need a controler. And if that head puts more compresion then a 10 thou mill job a controler. I have been runing this set up for 3 years and no problems. I do need to run 91 octain gas thou.

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
I ride around home at 1,300. But when I go on trips its 7,000 and up. I do run 92 octane and ran the speedwerx pipe, head and MBRP can on my F7 last year and seemed to be fine. I have the interchangeable domes also so I bump up the compression for elevation.

Last edited:

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
It will take you about a day to tune it in. Each set of RPMS have to be run and plug color checked. You need a 1/4 mile so you can hold the RPM. Hit the kill swith before you let off the throuttle. Check plug color. Buy a spring tool. Speedwerx should help with starting numbers. Don't be surprised if you add to the top end (7800) and nothing to other RPMS. I loved being able to take fuel from the sloppy PTO side. If I remember I ran +2 at 7800 and above. I took something like 4 away from the PTO side. *****CHECK YOUR PLUG COLOR**** I never ran EGT's. A box on a stock M7 will take the blubber from the lower end.
I have a fat daddy with about 300 miles on it for sale. It is in the classifieds. If you are interested I'll deal.

Last edited:
Premium Features