• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good or bad Idea

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
The wife Had a ghost rider incident last sat. Seems she is having trouble now that she is starting to stand. I took off her 2 inch risers and will be adding a 3.5 shortly. I'M trying to get her some good economical footing. I bought some gripper strips and put some rivets in backwards so they grip on her boots. I was going to drill some holes for snow removal but just as i was about to drill I thought maybe i better get some opinions first. so what do ya think about drilling a 1/2 hole where the black dots are? will it make it too weak? she only needs to get threw this season then she is on to a new sled.
grippyrails002.jpg

grippyrails001.jpg

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Well, if your just in "get by" mode.
I would use longer rivets and do just what you are doing now.
It will tear the dog snot out of her boots when she goes to clear the snow from the boards, but she will get good traction.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
Well, if your just in "get by" mode.
I would use longer rivets and do just what you are doing now.
It will tear the dog snot out of her boots when she goes to clear the snow from the boards, but she will get good traction.
I was thinking the same thing but was also trying to make it easy to undue In case the new owner hated it. Thanks

I think a snowboard stomp pad would work good on those boards if you dont wanna get to much money into em. something like this...

http://snowboards-for-sale.com/stomp_pads/snowflake_stomp_pad/

or this

http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/dakine-spike-stomp-pad.aspx
that doesn't look like to bad of idea would make clearing the snow not so hard on the boots. Thanks

I don't think that 1/2" holes will do very much for clearing the snow, and may weaken the boards to much. I do like your idea with the rivets though!
That was a concern I wonder if I riveted a 1/8 inch piece of aluminum under the boars before I drilled the holes to add some strength? Thanks

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I think the 1/2" holes are a great idea, I don't think you'll weaken the boards doing that. You may want to look into Rox Grip Strips too, although those rivets look like they'll work good.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
With all due respect; I'll bet 1/2" holes will plug quickly, and you will still have a sheet of ice that has to be kicked out.

Snow eliminators have huge holes, and they still plug up at times. Now if you could fabricate something like the snow eliminators and rivet them in, to reinforce the holes; That would do the trick, and the next owners would like them.

I don't know if anybody manufactures a product for that sled, but that would be the ticket.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
i think the rivets woild work great for now, let her try it out before u drill the holes!
Thats an option and i may do just that. thanks

With all due respect; I'll bet 1/2" holes will plug quickly, and you will still have a sheet of ice that has to be kicked out.

Snow eliminators have huge holes, and they still plug up at times. Now if you could fabricate something like the snow eliminators and rivet them in, to reinforce the holes; That would do the trick, and the next owners would like them.

I don't know if anybody manufactures a product for that sled, but that would be the ticket.
Well I looked around and didn't see anything except custom applications but i agree Im sure they would plug up but it would have to be better than all the little 3/16 holes that were there before. seen some ideas in this tread that may need some further investigation. thanks

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Use 1/2 sheet mettle screws and put them where the blue dots are. I have the same sled for my gf and this is the sled i learned to ide on as well.

The screw heads give great traction and won't rip the skin off your knees when you fall like rivets do.

Make sure you don't put anything through the coolers!

attachment.php

Last edited:
C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I think the 1/2" holes are a great idea, I don't think you'll weaken the boards doing that. You may want to look into Rox Grip Strips too, although those rivets look like they'll work good.
Actually, on these sleds, they have week running boards. Mine are WAY bent up from jumping and I haven’t ridden it in 3-4 years. I used to be pretty small. Now I am like 175 and they are getting bent badly. I am going to have to brace them some how. :mad:

Will the sheet metal screws stay in very well? thanks

After 12 years, only like 2-3 have fallen out. ;)

C
Nov 30, 2007
My friend has an older AC and it has no grip at all. I took a length of slideglide that we use on our ramps, cut it to fit into the boards and riveted her down. Snow doesn't stick to it and tons of grip. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Premium Features