• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching? with RK Tek 800BB

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
I have an 06 M7 153 with the RK Tek 800BB, D&D Y-Pipe, BMP Fat Azz pipe, Skins Super-Q can and V-Force Reeds. Gearing is stock. Just wondering what I should do for seting up my clutching. Do most riding at 1,300 ft and the rest at 7,500-10,000ft (Black Hills and Big Horns). I have heard of people who love the RK Tek secondary and some who didn't quite care for it so I'm not sure what to do there.

snosurfer

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2008
I have almost the identical set up on my 06 M7 and clutching is everything.
I have tried multiple set ups with various results. I also run at about 8000 to 10000 ft elev. I have tried the torsion set up and the compression, I've tried adjustable weights and standard weights and 10.4 secondary and 10 in various combinations. One thing I have learned is it is not about a particular type of set up you use but finding the right combo of weights and springs and helix angles to match your sled and riding style and conditions. I ran a primary with cutlers adj. with 69 grams of weight with a rtk 34/38 helix on a 10.4 sec. with pretty good results except it seemed to shock the track at engagement and spin the track at launch and trench out on climbs. I had a titanium spring in the primary and a green/white snopro in the sec. Spent the big bucks and bought the p85 conv. from fastrax on the primary,wow what a difference at engagement, and pulled great but still wasn't getting up the hill like it should. I then changed the sec. back to a comp set up with the 10 sec. orange spring and a 46/40/34 progressive helix combined with the p85. WOW!! the sled came to life and climbed insane. I swap the torsion and comp set up on the same day at the bottom of the hill back and forth so I could compare apples to apples. With the torsion set up I could barely make the hill and it would trench badly, with the comp set up it jump up on top of the snow and would pull the skis up all the way over the top, night and day difference.
That being said it's not what type of sec. set up you use it's how it works with a particular primary set up, I had tried that comp set up with a cat primary and had poor results but it works great with the p85. In conclusion trial and error is the only way to get it right there is no perfect clutch set up for every application but when you get it right you'll know. Hope this helps good luck.

Premium Features