• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 Dragon 700 surging/ dying off and on, help me out?

F
Nov 30, 2008
seems to only happen at low trail speeds on the throttle but just started after the last couple rides. has 1500 KM's on it, no mods and new plugs that didnt make a difference at all.

seems fine at full wail but has actually died out a couple times but kept playing the throttle before it actually quits and get it back up to RPM's

Had it service when the service indicator came on and he said he reset it to come on every 200 hours instead of 20 like it comes with.

Ever since then when its warming up on the trailer its idles just perfect but when you touchj the throttle to get it off it quits, starts fine and goes perfect till it starts surging again.

Any ideas guys? any suggestions would be great.

B
Feb 13, 2008
My 900 has a similar recent problem in that it appears to go into "limp" mode for a few seconds under certain loading conditions. I jockey the throttle a little bit, or the situation changes a little bit, and it comes out of it. But my problem does seem to be a come and go kind of thing. I was blaming my problem on cheap gas. It was supposed to be premium, but I think it wasn't.

What happens with mine is that the engine kind of goes into this "no power state". Doesn't misfire or anything, just won't go. It is like the electronics are retarding the timing, which I think is the limp mode.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I've been seeing a few of these sleds acting up (7's and 8's) and finding the throttle cable out of adjustment. The plastic jam nut loosens up and allows too much slack in the cable. Adjust cables and sled is dialed.:cool:

F

Flange509

Dec 1, 2007
Colorado
Mine did about the same thing a few weeks ago,08'D8. When getting back into the gas after a corner it would act like it was out of gas then after flipping the throttle a bit it would catch and take off like nothing had happened.Turned out the TPS had gone bad,replaced it and hasen't happened in over two hundred miles.The sensor would just loose its output randomly when hitting the gas. The dealer could see it on there computer.

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
Tps

Good suggestions. I've tried all the stuff mentioned here and on other threads but still no change.

So, my guess is we are having different degrees of TPS issues. Esp since it seems like we can work through it by varying the throttle.

Anyone got a TPS tester they want to loan out? Montainhorse has a great thread on TPS testing but I have not made the time to do it yet

R

ripalip2

Jan 23, 2008
everett wa.
08 rmk 700 bog

mine had 400 miles on it and i got a bog at 5800rpm to about 6800 rpms , cleaned my exhaust valves , pistions looked good , talked to my dealer and he said to check if the hand warmer bullitin had been done where you put tape under the contacts where the wires go on to the grid , did that and cleaned the valves and i got 150 miles now with not a problem , running strong . hope this can help someone , :D

D
Nov 27, 2007
NorCal
I have been having the same issue with mine. I have cleaned the exhaust valves, checked fuel pressure, along with a fewer other things. I just put a new TPS in a couple weeks ago I should be getting it on the snow this week finally (waiting for snow again in Cali). I will let you know what happens

F
Nov 30, 2008
thanks for the Ideas. i did actually have the hand warmer update done the same service this all started at. Is this a possible clue? may they have installed them wrong or forgot the tape? wouldn't that be sweet if that was the only problem. However they aren't necesarilly on or off when it is happening though.

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
Mine bogs on reaccel after its shut off for a few minutes. FWIW, I have had the hand warmer update done already too.

On another note, I'm using just about a tank of oil per tank of gas. At the end of my last ride I was on fumes (fuel gauge needle on the E in RES) and my low oil light was flickering on. :eek:.

So, since both the TPS & oil pumps are PITAs to adjust. I'm bringing her to the dealer next week.

Hopefully I'll get a few more rides in this season to see if it changes.

F
Nov 30, 2008
just ripped mine into the dealers yesterday after work and they were able to look at it this morning already. just got off the phone with them after work today, and they said it was the TPS on the scanner. They have one in stock and are going to call polaris-star and put it through on warranty for me.

I also mentioned the hand warmer update they did previously and they checked it out too and say it's fine so thats a plus.

got 4 days off for the long weekend and will be riding till I drop so Ill let you all know how it works out. Here's Hoping all goes well!

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I've been seeing a few of these sleds acting up (7's and 8's) and finding the throttle cable out of adjustment. The plastic jam nut loosens up and allows too much slack in the cable. Adjust cables and sled is dialed.:cool:

Bingo.
That is what did it to mine.

F
Nov 30, 2008
apparently my TPS hade come apart inside a bit and started to bind up, They put a new one in but now polarisstar says they only pay for 24 minutes labour to install it but the mechanic took 3 hours to ID it and take the air box and throttle body off to change it out. The dealer says thats BS as It had extended warranty on it and all of the problem should be covered so he made me pay the $50 deductable and he said they would fight it out with polarisstar.

so far Im a happy polaris customer once again at the dealer. runs wicked so far from loading it up and all but will tell tommorow for sure when she goes out.

W
Feb 14, 2009
yo, dunno if this has anything to do with your issues, but a couple years ago our xlt 600 had some issues like that where it would die if we were going slow, but if we went fast it would be ok. The issue was that(and sorry for slaughtering the technical parts im not too savvy here) the smaller fuel line(or wutevs) was leaky/bad, but if we started riding harder it would switch to the other bigger one, which was ok hence the sled working ok when going fast

anywho hope it helps

Premium Features