• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dragon Hood Repair??????

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Is there anyway to repair one of the new hoods and have it last. I want to paint it a different color anyway....

thanks.. justin

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I would, but how do you solve the intake problem.... mine has nothing. Curt is coming with a reasonably priced carbon fiber this summer. That will have intake and everything built in. Would like to see if I can fix this one first. She wants black anyway.... Polaris wants over $600 for a new one... yikes :eek:

You think its fixable and last??? the crack is on a flat spot. I dont think zip ties will do for her.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Your so dang smart, you have an answer for everything.

Any idea where the white in the snow goes when it melts?

T

TWISTER

Jul 7, 2002
Colton South Dakota
I do have the answer for where the white goes, but don't have the time right now will post later. Mabee you could do a google search and beat me to it.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I spent 3 hours searchin google the other night tryin to answer your dang turbine question.... I am not fallin for that trick again...

T

TWISTER

Jul 7, 2002
Colton South Dakota
Sam would be so proud of you. We just went through this for her science class so you walked right into my trap muhaha. You don't have to be the smartest sob in the world you just need to know where to look for the answers.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Next time I have a question, I will just call her. I am sure she could answer the turbine question too... :eek:

D

dzignr

Mar 18, 2009
I damaged the left-hand side panel on my 09-600 rmk shift. Tree branch caught in side and did some ripping and tearing where side panel fits over upper frame area. I searched the internet for plastic welding supplies and came up with a firm out of Winnipeg (Canada), that sold some stuff. I picked up a basic plastic welding kit. It came with a glorified soldering iron and bunch of plastic "wire" of various types and uses. One of the types of wire was used to repair the cracks and rips in the panel. Kit also comes with aluminum screen, which you cut to size so it will fit contours of repair area. Using the solder iron, which has a flat shoe on very end, was able to melt the aluminum screen into the plastic around rips and tears. Cover the screen with simple layer of plastic wire melted via the iron (this is done on inside). Once that was done, I went to work on the cracks and tears on outside of panel. Had to use dremel tool to make the cracks wider (1/8 inch), then made little slots along the cracks/tears perpendicular to the tear/rip. Sort of imagine stitches. These too were 1/8 inch thick. Once that was done I filled in the rips and stitches with plastic wire using the iron. Holds really well and has not been a problem since.

Part of the "kit" for plastic welding is one type of plastic that is sandable. It is used on outside of panel/hood to fill in if you wish to finish and paint. Overfill a little and sand to surrounding area for a paintable surface.

Kit was like 200 canabucks so it was considered a long term investment. Repair time was about 3hours for me and I did not need to paint as I found a heat gun took care of the finish to bring it close to original plastic surrounding the repair area. There was some plastic wire in the kit that was intended to fix hoods, also some clear wire that would repair headlight housing and such. Different types of wire for different types of plastic. I could also order more wire as required.

Kit Link

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
you need a hood ?

I happen to have a red d8 hood in great condition that I would like to sell. includes slp intake kit and headlight asssy.

Premium Features