• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what skipped here, and why?

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
if you go to :45 to :49 of this video, I was doing a climb and I swear I shredded my new belt with 2 rides on it right at the top. you can hear it. belt was perfectly fine though... would it have been the drive wheels spinning in the track maybe?

maybe my track needs to get tightened?

what do you guys think it sounds like? if that was my belt... wouldnt it be shredded and visibily damaged?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yj8ROvvkT8

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
When belts go, they go. Tracks thump when they skip. That was internal in the engine somewhere. Sure you didn't pull the clutch in? Video looks like you did.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
No. I instantly pulled the clutch once I heard that sound

Not sure what that would be in the engine. It ran great and strong for two days after that. Maybe it was the sprocket spinning on the chain somehow?

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Yup, sometimes they pop out gear if it's not fully in due to ice buildup around shifter, it holds till u let off the throttle usually happens to me once or twice a year, tgsts what it sounded like to me

D
Nov 22, 2017
False neutral.

M5

yup false neutral, your gear shift lever may have had a partial push on it from the snow and it forced it into a false neutral, which is half way between any gear when your shift dogs don't fully engage. normally if they don't cause you to crash they are fairly harmless, if you are getting them a lot then your shift dogs are getting warn or damaged.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
there we go!! thats the answer!! thanks guys appreciate it.

I looked into it more and apparently 2013 KTM are known for having that problem...damnit. one guy his a false neutral on a landing of a jump, had the guy behind him hit him and break his femur because of this flaw!! not cool.

its only happened once and im glad its nothing too serious.

thanks for the answer! now off to my next dumb question haha.

"KTM updated the shifter drum (shifter roller) in 2013. Evidently there was such an issue, they updated it again for 2014, same goes for the shift shaft (which is the selector system).
Perhaps they figured out the issue and these are the part numbers to resolve them.
54834005144 shift shaft complete
77734112000 Shift Roller 5G"

B
Not related at all, but those of us with Beta's cannot find neutral when the engine is running and we are at a stop. We have to shut our motors off to get neutral.

Supposedly it is so that there is a lower chance of hitting or finding false neutrals in between gears.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Not related at all, but those of us with Beta's cannot find neutral when the engine is running and we are at a stop. We have to shut our motors off to get neutral.

Supposedly it is so that there is a lower chance of hitting or finding false neutrals in between gears.

same here. I gotta kill my motor lots to find neutral. the reason mine does is because the clutch isnt 100% perfect and when pulled in, its not 100% disengaged.. maybe only 95%. also could be that my basket fingers are getting a tad notched which lets the plates hang up.

its also super tough to even physically move the shifter sometimes unless you rock the bike back or forward an inch and get some pressure off the gears.

B
Definitely replace that basket, or like some do for a temp-fix, file the notches in the fingers down smooth which buys some time. I'd just slap a new basket in there and plates/frictions while I would be at it.

I ride any other bike and finding neutral is as easy as can be.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I was just in there and the basket isnt that bad. I think its just pressure on the gears that makes it tough sometimes.. all I gotta do is rock it back half inch and it makes it easier.

thats an interesting fix on the shifter.. I may need to look into that. im very familiar with that shaft/setup as I just replaced that shaft on my other bike. good info. thanks for that.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
I meant to try the fix on the video myself but did not get around to it yet. Another thing to check is your shifting forks, around that same mechanism with the spring in the video. Make sure they are not burred or catching on anything...apparently a known issue with some KTM vintages.

I just came back from skiing Fernie on Sunday. Not too much snow out there but we are going back out again in a week. Might try the local snow bike rental to take a break from skiing for a day.

We're in Ontario so I'm envious, you're in the right place, that's for sure!

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
well its happening more and more. mainly when im really hard on the gas.. mostly in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. 5th doesnt have enough power. 1st it never happens in.

the other day I was doing a tough climb in 3rd.. losing RPM, shifted down to second, it moved forward for a bit then did the false neutral, grinding gears, belt blowing sound again.

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
well its happening more and more. mainly when im really hard on the gas.. mostly in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. 5th doesnt have enough power. 1st it never happens in.

the other day I was doing a tough climb in 3rd.. losing RPM, shifted down to second, it moved forward for a bit then did the false neutral, grinding gears, belt blowing sound again.

What fixes did you try?

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Tinkered with the yeti belt system. Replaced a cog. Checked the track drive wheels. Checked chain. Havnt touched the motor yet. I believe the fix for this is a full bottom end tear down to replace the shifting forks on the transmission. That’s a huge job that I’m not ready for :”(

It’s getting new piston rings and head gaskets this week. As well as a clutch inspection. I imagine clutch plates will be next. Then the transmsssion. Ugh. May as well do crank while I’m in there. That’s a full summer project

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Tinkered with the yeti belt system. Replaced a cog. Checked the track drive wheels. Checked chain. Havnt touched the motor yet. I believe the fix for this is a full bottom end tear down to replace the shifting forks on the transmission. That’s a huge job that I’m not ready for :”(

It’s getting new piston rings and head gaskets this week. As well as a clutch inspection. I imagine clutch plates will be next. Then the transmsssion. Ugh. May as well do crank while I’m in there. That’s a full summer project

Yuck.
I’m planning to peddle my 60 hour 16 ktm sxf450 this spring and find another low hour mule in the late fall.

High hour race bikes give me hives. (Anything not blue and over 30 hours)

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Yup that’s almost the way to do it. But then I feel bad knowingly selling a guy a bike that I know is worn out.

60 snowbike hours is pretty much the same as 120 hours on a pro motocross bike. I can’t believe how much and hard I (we) rev my (our) bike. She screams for 60-90 seconds at a time. Pretty much pinned. No ones bike ever does that. No pro, no drag racer, no sand dune rider.

Premium Features