• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any tips for changing a starter on a mc-xpress nytro?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I have the unfortuneate task of needing my starting replaced, can't afford the $800+ in labour expenses, so opting to tackle it myself!

Not going to lie, am intimated by doing this, as I've read that I have to pull the engine?

I may be able to get it out by loosening the front engine mounts and prying the engine forward enough to drop the starter out, but how hard is this going to be?

The research I have done says you can do it this way, but I think they were stock machines, with the "flexpipe exhaust, making it possible? Is this going to work on my boosted sled?

Any thoughts and hints to help this go smoothly would be appreciated before I dive into it.

Another question, do I replace the starter from Yamaha for $350, or get one off of e-by for $100?

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Google changing starter on 2009 Nytro. Shows the easy(?) way to change starter. Read a bit . Talked about draining oil and removing filter and steering shaft. Doesn't sound easy but maybe? Never heard of a starter going bad. Checked wiring? If it is a big job I wouldn't want to put a cheapie back in. Not sure I want to pay $350 either!
Also talks about a brush set you can buy. Also says starter might just be dirty.

Last edited:

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Google changing starter on 2009 Nytro. Shows the easy(?) way to change starter. Read a bit . Talked about draining oil and removing filter and steering shaft. Doesn't sound easy but maybe? Never heard of a starter going bad. Checked wiring? If it is a big job I wouldn't want to put a cheapie back in. Not sure I want to pay $350 either!
Also talks about a brush set you can buy. Also says starter might just be dirty.

I did read about it, not very many articles, but there was was one that was the "easy way". Still didn't seem that easy, that, and it was do e on a syltock machine.

I tried jumping it across the terminals and I got nothing except sparks. I spoke with Mark Leipheimer and he didn't think it was the starter either. He's the one that told me it was prob relay. Unfortuneately, I don't think so.

Thanks for the input, any others that have actually had to do it?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Make sure if possible you bypass that starting relay/solenoid, on my other sleds I took a wrench to jump the 2 heads of the bolts, Ive had 2 starter relay/solenoids go bad on me. :face-icon-small-dis

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Maybe you should bring it in and let me take a look at it .I also have a good used starter if needed.

I honestly wish it were that easy Mark. 513 miles one way to your shop. Believe me, I really do not want to tackle. I've done a couple of engine swaps in cars so it's not that I can't do, just a big head ache for me. I'd love to drop it off.

Got a primary for sale? My spiders cracked too! Lol

Last edited:
M

MRFUSION

Aug 8, 2008
Peace River AB
Seen 3 or 4 come through my shop now. Had the starter relay fail and stuck on causing the starter to stay on and fail. Make sure you check your relay after. Have to rock the engine and need patience. The new relays have a more watertight plug on top keeping this from happening. Good luck!!
Shad

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Seen 3 or 4 come through my shop now. Had the starter relay fail and stuck on causing the starter to stay on and fail. Make sure you check your relay after. Have to rock the engine and need patience. The new relays have a more watertight plug on top keeping this from happening. Good luck!!
Shad

Thanks for the heads up. Before it failed I rode in very fine, powdery snow, I was wondering if that may have had something to do with it? Who knows.

Premium Features