• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ANYONE HAVE A NEW 'LECTRIC START HONDA CRF450RX "IN THE PLANS" FOR THEIR SNOWBIKE??

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
ANYONE HAVE A NEW 'LECTRIC START HONDA CRF450RX "IN THE PLANS" FOR THEIR SNOWBIKE??

attachment.php

This new Honda CRF450RX... with the Electric start standard from Honda... seems like a great snowbike base... and the spring forks... a big plus.

The bigger thank than the "R" looks to be a good fit for the snowbikes albeit not the Ti fuel tank... The ability to run lighting easily is a big plus!

Does anyone have a serious plan to go with this bike this season?... seems like a perfect steed to motivate a new snowbike kit.

Any insight as to fitting this bike with the battery/airbox to a TSS/RRS setup?

2017 CRF450RX at a glance:

-18-inch rear wheel, side-stand, 2.2-gallon over sized tank, enduro suspension settings, off-road racing optimized ECU setting and electric starting standard.

-Engine spec is identical to the motocross bike in every way except ECU setting.

-Suspension components identical except for internal settings.

-Closed course full-on race bike.

The CRF450RX is a departure from Honda thinking and we feel in a good way. The company has realized there is a market for the closed-course off-road racing market, something that KTM, Yamaha and Husky have proven. The concept is simple. Add just the stuff to your motocrosser that it needs to go off-road racing and nothing that it doesn’t. And Honda seems to have hit the nail on the head. We predicted the introduction of the bike some time ago so it wasn’t as much of a surprise as it will be to some.

One of the small changes between the R and RX is different engine hanger brackets off the frame to tune the rigidity and flex character of the chassis. A small change that goes a long way in how a bike feels and reacts to bumps on the ground. Both of the bikes have plastic skid plate and front and rear disc protection standard.

With the electric starting and the additional weight from the heavier parts and fuel the weight is said to be 16-pounds higher than the motocrosser. And that is with a standard lead-acid battery too. Production of the RX is also a little ways behind and we will let you know when it is expected as soon as we find out. Prices on either bike are still pending.

http://dirtbiketest.com/fresh-dirt/first-look-2017-honda-crf450rx-and-crf450r/

<iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fIVUqgJeSzM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17-Honda-CRF450R_engine-drawing.jpg

2017-honda-crf450rx_1200.jpg 17-Honda-CRF450R_air-filter.jpg 17-Honda-CRF450R_battery.jpg 17-Honda-CRF450R_downdraft.jpg 17-Honda-CRF450R_tank.jpg 17-Honda-CRF450R_link.jpg 17-Honda-CRF450R_naked-right.jpg 17-Honda-CRF450R_engine-right.jpg

Last edited:

Broncoblue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Boise, Id
I am seriously considering it. Cant decide between the R or RX like the RX for the increased gas tank and e-start included. Dont know if the gearing will be different or if the shocks on the RX will be too soft. Any insight?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
From what I've read... this isn't like the previous "X" versions at all... It is a closed course FULL race bike... with a couple of twists and standard E start and more fuel capacity.

-Engine spec is identical to the motocross bike in every way except ECU setting.

The R model with the hydroformed titanium fuel tank... shows the commitment that big red has to pushing the envelope.

Also note that the R bikes can be fitted with an E start kit from Honda accessories as well.

From what I hear... of the approx 16 added pounds to the bike... the starter and the battery/electrics account for 12 lbs of that diff.

with 60HP at the crank... should be a "player"... add a conservative NO2 system to it and DANG!!

I like that it has e-start AND kick start back up.

It sounds like just what we've been looking for... and for the off season, to all but the most serious track rider... it is setup for some serious off road riding and still gettin it done at the track.

Last edited:

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
If I had endless amounts of money I would! They look better and the motor changes seem to be a big step. I hope to see some out there this season.
In my opinion if electric start was a deal killer for you I'd say get the RX but if it was me buying I'd just go for the R. All I've ever owned is R's. Kicking doesn't bother me, lets me catch my breath after whatever just happened to kill it ha.

wonderdummy

Premium Member
Dec 27, 2007
I am going for the year of the Guinea pig. New Honda RX with the Camso kit to go along with my previous set up cr500 and 2013 TS SX kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
I am going for the year of the Guinea pig. New Honda RX with the Camso kit to go along with my previous set up cr500 and 2013 TS SX kit.

Props to you! I was a guinea pig in 09 when I bought the first year of EFI from honda on their 450 and I still own the bike. Have had zero issues with it.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE

Could be tough to do. The RX doesn't start shipping till at least January, and Camso probably won't have a mount kit till the 17/18 season since the bike is all new from the ground up.

S
Aug 21, 2017
Love it!

Waited forever for the TSS last season. Only got two trips to the bighorns with it but it was great. Throttle response is amazing. Should be even better this season after a whole summer of seat time on it. 7 years since I last rode. Overall I think it's a good platform. I run a 16' ST LE MH. Forks are getting redone as they are way to soft but that is expected with the snow kit.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Looked at the 450RX and was quite impressed with it:

Fuel Injection: check
E - Start: check
Kick Start: check
Great Power: check
Close Ratio Gearing: check
Spring Forks: check
High Output Electrical: check
Honda Reliability: checkmate

This is going to make a great snow bike!

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Looked at the 450RX and was quite impressed with it:

Fuel Injection: check
E - Start: check
Kick Start: check
Great Power: check
Close Ratio Gearing: check
Spring Forks: check
High Output Electrical: check

This is going to make a great snow bike!

You forgot the most important part.
Honda reliability

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Got a full season on 2 RX's and one R model. Nice to have the bigger tanks fright from the factory on the RX's. E start is awesome, my stock battery did very well all season. I ditched my airbox completely and went with a homebuilt intake from parts off off frozenboost.com. My buddy just removed the back half of the stock airbox on his RX and it did well, nothing to plug up. My Brother ran a stock airbox on his R and didnt have any trouble either. I went to a .62 spring in the forks and 10 weight oil.

Very Happy

Premium Features