• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How did you mount your GPS

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I used a mount made by RAM. You can get them from the avionics shop on Merial Field in Anchorage. It has lasted 3 years on my 07 M8 and is now on my 2010. Way tougher than the mounts made by Garmin. I will try and take a pic tomorrow.

Jason

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
battery life?

Don't y'all have trouble with the batt freezing out?

I have to keep mine(etrex w/ all the letters after it) inside my coat otherwise the batt died too fast, fresh batts wouldn't even last a couple hrs.

This is uncomfortable and more than a little dangerous to my ribs!

Awesome topic! Post the pics guys! Thx in advance.

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
my 530

is in a scott goggle bag inside my a/c handlebar bag sure its a pain to open it when we come over a ridge and we need to find out exactly where were at but i also dont worry about it . 3 yrs still looks new after 5k

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Don't y'all have trouble with the batt freezing out?

I have to keep mine(etrex w/ all the letters after it) inside my coat otherwise the batt died too fast, fresh batts wouldn't even last a couple hrs.

This is uncomfortable and more than a little dangerous to my ribs!

Awesome topic! Post the pics guys! Thx in advance.

I have a Garmin GPS map 60Csx. I hardwired a power plug into the sled so while the sled is running it does not use the battery. However when you shut off the sled it automatically changes over to battery power. With this set up batteries will last me several days of riding as long as I remember to shut it off at the end of the day. You can get the power plug from Garmin for around $25.
Jason

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
I also use the ram mount, www ram-mount.com. i use it one sleds and my dirtbike or 4 wheeler every weekend and never have trouble with it falling out.

great product

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
These seem to the the best gps mounts out there, but they aren't cheap.
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1730/Garmin-Mounts. No matter your mount, the tether is a must. And it must be durable. 60 lb fishing gear isn't even close to being strong enough.

I like my GPS to be mounted to my bars because I use it allot, especially when the weather gets really sh!tty and I'm in really advanced terrain. If you mount it to your bars, make sure you have a good pivot point so it can easily bend down parallel with the steering post, this will keep it from getting ripped off in a rollover or if you have to bust some heavy brush.

Last edited:
J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Has anyone got a mount for the Rino 530 that allows the car charger to be hooked up?

I like the idea of the pedestal mount and keep in lower than the gauge top.

I don't belive you can use a Car charger with the 530.

Jason

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Remember if installing a Aux power cord on years 2009-2011 you have to wire up a Bridge Rectifier than coverts AC power to DC power. The 2007-2008 were DC power at the plug so you did not have to install one.

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I am not sure. I have not investigated finding a power source other than aux plug.

Jason

Premium Features