• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Honda CRF450RX Airbox Mods?

S
Dec 20, 2016
Have not, I looked at it and it appeared that you have to remove more than I was wanting to at first glance. I cut the bottom out of mine so snow will fall out and made a frogskinz cage cover. I hear Carl’s Cycle is now selling the outerwears covers for them too. If you do take the box out and install a pod style intake I’d like to know how difficult it was. Please post an update.

D3968290-D30F-46CB-B81B-93702D7FCC0E.jpg 3B76C157-C5FC-404D-BD37-59D53FFEDD04.jpg 38EE5445-E229-42C8-B882-3C1F26BA35CD.jpg A374DC93-F202-45C6-8515-3E0A6C077C67.jpg

S
Oct 21, 2017
I have a 17 450rx, i cut the bottom out too. My buddies with the same bike took the back half off. Both seem to work, but i like the protection from the battery getting sprayed with snow. Rode yesterday, about a foot of new blower powder and dumping. Worked good, brushed out the snow once or twice. One of them was having problems on the way back to the truck. Warning light on and not idling and running crappy. He thinks his throttle body was freezing or getting water in intake. No engine jacket and temps were 15 degrees. My bike with enging jacket would heat up to 200 and about 150 in the trees.

V
Sep 14, 2017
Kent, Washington
Uhh, I left my 17 RX airbox stock! It already has holes at the bottom to let small amounts of snow out. I put the pre filter over the stock filter basket as other have done. But then to keep snow out of the airbox completely all I did was cut two pieces of Frogskinz material, one for each side plastic. Then I hot glue wrapped the frogs skin on the inside of the stock plastics (left and right). This covers the holes that go into the airbox and keeps all the snow out. There's no way any can get in there once you cover those holes... Took me 10 minutes and required no perminant mods. 5 rides so far this year on it. When you tip it over in the powder, some snow will pack into the airbox holes on the sides but won't get past the Frogskinz, I just do a quick swipe with my finger to unclog it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

So I ended up pulling out the airbox, and putting on a TS snorkel / intake. Fits pretty well and just needed some minor trimming of the larger 4" intake hose to clear the battery box and RSS strut on my Yeti. The new filter intake easily clears all the exhaust components and fits good. Removing the airbox was basic and all parts can be re-used so very easy to convert back to dirt. I would do this all day long over trying to keep snow out of the stock filter / airbox.

Only thing left is to find a decent filter to cap off by crank case breather that was run to the stock airbox and build a sheet-metal shroud to protect the battery box.

IMG_6862.jpg IMG_6870(2).jpg

S
Questions - Just to clarify

Uhh, I left my 17 RX airbox stock! It already has holes at the bottom to let small amounts of snow out. I put the pre filter over the stock filter basket as other have done. But then to keep snow out of the airbox completely all I did was cut two pieces of Frogskinz material, one for each side plastic. Then I hot glue wrapped the frogs skin on the inside of the stock plastics (left and right). This covers the holes that go into the airbox and keeps all the snow out. There's no way any can get in there once you cover those holes... Took me 10 minutes and required no perminant mods. 5 rides so far this year on it. When you tip it over in the powder, some snow will pack into the airbox holes on the sides but won't get past the Frogskinz, I just do a quick swipe with my finger to unclog it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Im just now setting up a new 17 450RX...Just a few clarification questions. You took the foam filter off and did not reinstall it after the prefilter was put on, Correct?

For the side plastics, did you cover the back side such that the filter is sort of recessed or is it on the outer side of the side plastics?

Do you have pictures? Thanks a bunch for your help. Also, Im glad to hear any other suggestions.

Premium Features