• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Noobie Snow bike Questions (Timbersled) ( 2 stroke)

S
Sep 18, 2018
Hello-

Bike is a 2012 yz250f Chassis with a Yz 250 engine.

Typical mods-Lectron Carb, head work, pipe, reeds.

I plan on purchasing the 2019 timbersled 120 st RAW. Opinions??

Also i have purchased a used Avid Products Lectron carb heater, thermostat and intake.

Looking for opinions on 250 gearing, what else is a must have, and how are the 2019 st raw kit will be??

I understand i will be a little under powered compared to new 450's. That's fine i'm a 2 stroke guy and its the bike i have.

I will be riding in upper peninsula Michigan near Houghton.

I have rode 2016 st 120 and 2016 aro kit on wr450's

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Contact CMX. Mark has put his on smaller bikes with real good results. He ran a KTM 300 one year. Not sure but I think he is going to put one on his wife's 150.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Also make sure you get the rod for snowbiking... I run 2 yz250's and love them... The snow rod is richer on the top ... I run a egt just for piece of mind...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S
Sep 18, 2018
My brother and i did the conversion. I will post pictures later today.

-What kits are you running? Gearing? Running a bigger stator? Where do you ride and how does it compare to other bikes?

Thanks

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
My brother and i did the conversion. I will post pictures later today.

-What kits are you running? Gearing? Running a bigger stator? Where do you ride and how does it compare to other bikes?

Thanks

I ride in Utah 7000 to 10000.... Pretty light snow... Last year ran the Camso on my sons bike stock gearing was dead on. It is ported by one of the best for the yz250 Derek Harris. I ran Procircuit Exhaust, Boyseen reeds.... Both ran a little less hp than going FMF and Vforce..... But I have had quality issues with both of those companies products in the past. As far as a stater I did get one with a lighting coil but it broke almost immediately. I just use the raze handlebars which are so much better than any electric set up I have had and task lights that are helmet mounted. At the end of the day the current 450's will beat it everytime climbing but man it shines in the trees and when you crash having to pick it up. I liked my sons so much last year I sold my turbo ktm 450sxf and went with a yz250x and Yeti 129. Again gearing wise they already had a recommended setting for this version of the yz..... The only thing I missed on the moto YZ was a higher top speed... I am having Neils pipes make the exhause system and RKTEK match the porting..... I have had 4 stroke 450's cr500's . Timbersleds, Mototrax yada yada but love the 2 stroke and have been going to a more nimble/ lighter set up has been more important to me. Brappppppppppppp....

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Looks like you got most of the big stuff sorted. Watch your coolant temps. Under about 70F I find my lectron slide can freeze open.

Back when I was playing with 250’s, the pc platinum 2 made the most power of anything you can get off the shelf. Increased the whole rev range 3-4. Take a .025 slice off the head and youll get another 2 throughout the curve but you’ll have to run good fuel. Boysen rad valve doesn’t show any on a dyno but really makes it snap off the bottom

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I concur doctor
Looks like you got most of the big stuff sorted. Watch your coolant temps. Under about 70F I find my lectron slide can freeze open.

Back when I was playing with 250’s, the pc platinum 2 made the most power of anything you can get off the shelf. Increased the whole rev range 3-4. Take a .025 slice off the head and youll get another 2 throughout the curve but you’ll have to run good fuel. Boysen rad valve doesn’t show any on a dyno but really makes it snap off the bottom

S
Sep 18, 2018
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm having issues posting pictures from my phone, image size too large. I tried to resize on a free website. No luck.

-Does anyone have experience with the 18/19 Timbersled St 120 RAW?

S
Sep 18, 2018
Awesome, i am glad to hear you are having good luck with yours. Have any pictures or videos of your yz250 setups? I will be riding almost all tight woods areas.

I ride in Utah 7000 to 10000.... Pretty light snow... Last year ran the Camso on my sons bike stock gearing was dead on. It is ported by one of the best for the yz250 Derek Harris. I ran Procircuit Exhaust, Boyseen reeds.... Both ran a little less hp than going FMF and Vforce..... But I have had quality issues with both of those companies products in the past. As far as a stater I did get one with a lighting coil but it broke almost immediately. I just use the raze handlebars which are so much better than any electric set up I have had and task lights that are helmet mounted. At the end of the day the current 450's will beat it everytime climbing but man it shines in the trees and when you crash having to pick it up. I liked my sons so much last year I sold my turbo ktm 450sxf and went with a yz250x and Yeti 129. Again gearing wise they already had a recommended setting for this version of the yz..... The only thing I missed on the moto YZ was a higher top speed... I am having Neils pipes make the exhause system and RKTEK match the porting..... I have had 4 stroke 450's cr500's . Timbersleds, Mototrax yada yada but love the 2 stroke and have been going to a more nimble/ lighter set up has been more important to me. Brappppppppppppp....

M
Jan 14, 2004

So the 250 vs 450 being down a bit on power is the 250X a better fit for a snow bike tranny wise with the granny gear first and OD 5th than the race bike? I wish Yamaha would get their heads out of their collective arses and start making 6 speeds.

M5

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So the 250 vs 450 being down a bit on power is the 250X a better fit for a snow bike tranny wise with the granny gear first and OD 5th than the race bike? I wish Yamaha would get their heads out of their collective arses and start making 6 speeds.

M5

Definitely the close ratio with a 2 stroke.

You have a shorter rev range to work with.

I ran my gasgas 300ec for half a year and the 2nd-3rd gap made that bike nearly unusable.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Yammy is a little different... 3rd to 4th is the long shot .. so we will see... If it was just a snowbike I would have 1-4 yz250 and then out the 5th in for the roads....

S
Sep 18, 2018
I have a rekluse and a 13oz flywheel weight. Was thinking about removing the fww. Suggestions? What are you running?

Also make sure you get the rod for snowbiking... I run 2 yz250's and love them... The snow rod is richer on the top ... I run a egt just for piece of mind...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
For sure ... Take off the flywheel weight... Personally for the snow I would use the stock clutch it locks up way better and you get every bit of power out of the yz...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
All I have is my 10 year old son riding.. they are short end of season...

https://youtu.be/pf1s5hyxsc8

https://youtu.be/Atbpo2ie2X0

Here's a pic.
2aecf39ee9e10e89b3f23851f9a3adac.jpg

Premium Features