• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020...Good, bad, or ugly?

cycology1

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2017
saw 3 alphas this am in the Vail pass parking lot, one boosted per decals and sound, mine and a 3rd...that was just in the parking lot.

being new to sport and a business guy, I can't imagine why cat or others mfgs for that matter, would make SO MANY MODELS and options.

oh no offense but u girls talk more about color schemes than my leg shaving road biker buddies!! threy nor cannondale or trek dont make nearly as big of a deal about different colors. sometimes on these threads I almost feel like were all at a hair salon choosing which color to do our hair :)

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
saw 3 alphas this am in the Vail pass parking lot, one boosted per decals and sound, mine and a 3rd...that was just in the parking lot.

being new to sport and a business guy, I can't imagine why cat or others mfgs for that matter, would make SO MANY MODELS and options.

oh no offense but u girls talk more about color schemes than my leg shaving road biker buddies!! threy nor cannondale or trek dont make nearly as big of a deal about different colors. sometimes on these threads I almost feel like were all at a hair salon choosing which color to do our hair :)
Weird cuz my wife is at the salon right now. Hmmmm, maybe I better get a new sled.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Probably be 10% more MSRP vs 2019 as those 3 different color options will costs more! Christ, they can't even keep the website operational, wtf.
I know right? The website had 2019 models. No 2020 models. I got the best info from Christopher with the press package. No stress. Classic case of overdeliver and underpromise. Great job Cat! This is not sarcasm I really like what Cat is doing.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
I wonder why they changed out all the front track shocks to a spring? I really like the adjustability of the the air shock in that spot. Can dramatically effect the handling of the Alpha. No windshield is good. The current windshield just holds snow behind it and dumps water from melting into the goggle bag. Mine is getting taken off tonight lol.
Interesting about the snow check only. Snow check is a scam I fall for over and over. I might get a new 2020 but it won’t be until January so I can get it for $2000 less lol.
Colors are WAY better. My purple/black Alpha looks SOOOOO dated now lol.

The base model gets the spring shock. The hardcore gets fox coil overs, Alphagets QS3 Air.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Weird cuz my wife is at the salon right now. Hmmmm, maybe I better get a new sled.

Update on wife's salon trip......she went for a foot massage with her brother(they both have foot problems).
Heehee, the place turned out to be a full blown rub and tug! Ahahahahaha, true story happening right now!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Update on wife's salon trip......she went for a foot massage with her brother(they both have foot problems).
Heehee, the place turned out to be a full blown rub and tug! Ahahahahaha, true story happening right now!

Your wifes giving her brother a tugger? Yuck!

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I personally am not the guy who gets all bent out of shape on graphics and colors, but as a business owner, I know that people do get all wrapped around the axles about this sort of thing. I wish I could understand why they invest so little on graphics. Unfortunately I think Poo sells so many RMK’s just because they have custom color schemes for everyone. Hopefully cat gets on board with what sells and offer custom color schemes that people can click and order online. Something that gets everyone’s blood pumping and they say “I’ve got to have that”.

That and they need to sponsor Caleb Kesterke, like yesterday.... mark my words, if they don’t, Poo or doo will pick him up and soon.
if I was working for poo or doo I would bring this guy onboard. He is unreal and would sell sleds just by his videos. AC would be crazy to not sponsor him while he's riding a cat.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Lets see what we got here? Cat dealers have been closing shop in many places, Why? Yamaha shares the chassis, so if Cat shuts down what will they use? Maybe they are going to continue to build the chassis/engines here under Yamaha? They have had plenty of time to revamp their assy. line to the current Cat platform/2021 platform for that matter. Yamaha could easily buy that segment from textron and have their own 2/4 stroke lines! You will still have replacement parts into the future with same or better quality? Myself I would have to drive 40 to 100 mi. to find a Cat dealership just around the Seattle area. Something is wrong unless Cabella's will be selling them like the Tracker boats? Maybe it takes a all season company to make an overall profit in this segment of recreational vehicles? But then again I think Cat is getting rid of inventory as much as possible,and cutting back for the current yr. for the 2021 line, before they have to dump them at negative margin! Just think about how many unwanted 16/17/18 sleds are at dealers between overseas/Canada and US. I am sure their are many earlier models also! Mike

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Cat has done a good job of listening to their customers since textron bought them. They have a great motor, great clutches, the best track in the industry, great shocks oh and the alpha mono rail. Yes they weigh a little more but you can ride them hard week after week.

Dealers have been complaining for years about the number of sleds they are forced to take. Everyone that has show checked a sled is pissed because come January dealers are trying to unload the leftovers causing their snow check to lose too much value.
Cat is listening!
This is a pay to play sport. Everyone wants something for nothing. Innovation cost big dollars. The M-series cost 28 million to initially develop over 15 years ago. How many sled at 10k did they have to sell recoup that cost? Remember that is 28 million in NRE (non re-occurring engineering)costs. Not the cost to mfg.
The pro climb has evolved from arguably the worst sled on the snow to the best.

I love where cat is going. They are doing what they need to do to stay in business.

Yes I am prepared to be flamed.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
That doesn’t make sense because a couple months ago Textron changed the name back to Arctic Cat in all their SxS and atv’s.

Shows how frequently I look at quads. :face-icon-small-ton

S
Jan 28, 2015
if I was working for poo or doo I would bring this guy onboard. He is unreal and would sell sleds just by his videos. AC would be crazy to not sponsor him while he's riding a cat.

Agreed that guy can shred makes most others vids look boring! Can’t eait to see his next utube vid!!!

cycology1

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2017
what industry isn't just in time? dealer in Colorado on western slope must have 20 leftovers from 17 thru 19 model year and unloading them..at a loss

while snow checked only seems odd, the alpha is not a commodity and deserves the premium and demand

I'm new to this sport but seems like common sense to me...

why flood .market again with inventory?

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I believe AC is trying to help the dealers, first rebates to sell non current. Now spring order only, there will be no need for rebates and used /trade in will be worth something. Textron has deep pockets and they didn't get them from being stupid. In the past AC has pushed more sleds on dealers with interest rate incentives, that's how they got to where there at. This strategy will keep the dealers current just not sure what the dealer will survive on during the winter months. I am sure the dealers will be able to order extra sleds but they will need to be paid for like a snow check and no rebate, that is all on the dealer. Yamaha did this last year, it is a way of knowing what the demand is for your product. Textron knew this wouldn't be quick, easy or cheap but somewhere along the way A/C sleds need to be profitable or they wont be around. Large corporations think differently for a lot of reasons (some are unexplained) but when a division is not profitable something needs to be done. They are doing what they believe is right to make the division profitable. They are also listening to everyone complain about paying extra 2 k for a spring check than a buddy 4 months later. This will stop that and everyone gets the same treatment pricing and warranty. Far easier to manage and no complaints. IMHO there lineup was to big to start with,just to many models.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Heard a reasonably reliable rumor (take that for what it's worth) that Yamaha made an offer to Textron to pick up cat and they rejected it. Honestly that made a lot of sense to me. Who knows. The snowcheck only thing makes sense for cat. They have a sled that's appealing to a lot of people and may sell if the price is right. Be interesting to see next week what they think a 2020 Alpha one is worth. I won't be buying one without a new intake design. A mountain sled has to perform in deep snow. Seems like that would be obvious.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Personally I’m disappointed in the 2020 line up. Yes, Cat is reducing models and trying to restore profits (less carry over in theory should help resale). But not everyone wants or needs an 800 sled, and there are many folks that prefer a twin rail for versatility over the Alpha - not everyone lives in a powder filled world, and trailers their sleds ro the mountains when they can. For what new machines cost these days, I’m not purchasing anything based on a photograph and specifications that are subject to change without notice..
I only hope that Cat decides to start listening intently to their dealers (all of them) and consumers - make snow check a truly unique factory order. I’d gladly pay for a sled in season if mine is wrecked or stolen, or if I can view it in person. Maybe let the dealer decide if /what they want to order, instead of saddling them with a bunch of trail sleds they can’t sell in the western states / provinces.

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
i think you are seeing the beginning of the end of cat. kirk Hibbert was told he needs to plan to retire. the locals in thief river said there has been 0 sled testing by the factory this year.
Kirk Hibbert, Roger Skime and Joey Halstrom were let go 3 weeks ago.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Kirk Hibbert, Roger Skime and Joey Halstrom were let go 3 weeks ago.

Interesting, those three have a lot of knowledge. Wonder if they had a non-compete. I would imagine the other manufacturers would come at them hard to get them on board. Even as consultants in the very least.

Premium Features