• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018/19 Togwotee Snow Conditions

jlombard

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2018
No base. 140 check ins yesterday and more today. Consider going somewhere else.

Doesn't seem like anywhere in the country has GREAT snow right now, so compared to other locations it can't be the worst place to head.

I just hope they get some bigger storms in January, we'll be the Feb 9.

jlombard

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2018
...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGHSUNDAY EVENING

* WHAT...Snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches
possible in the lower elevations, with 6 to 12 inches possible.
Winds could gust as high as 45 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest and west central Wyoming.

* WHEN...From late Saturday night through Sunday evening. The
heaviest snow is expected from late tonight through midday
Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult. Blowing
snow could significantly reduce visibility. The cold wind
chills as low as 25 below zero could cause frostbite on exposed
skin in as little as 30 minutes.

RMK2012PRO

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2012
Does anyone know how much snow they picked up from this last storm yesterday? I've heard up to 20" depending on the face of the slopes. Thanks in advance.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Heading up to Tog Thursday Morning !:face-icon-small-hap

Will be in the hunt for some hidden untracked snow.

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Heading to tog Sunday. Just 2 guys, if they’re are any snowest stragglers that wanna join. 1 turbo alpha 1 stock alpha. I hope we don’t need 2 ropes.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
Just got home tonight from Togwotee. Got there Monday late after the storm, found good snow in the trees away from the main paths & areas. We couldn’t get into a couple of our usual spots due to lack of snow, had to saw some logs blocking a trail. The snow was deep but there really is no base in most areas. Saw plenty of places where people were stuck and digging dirt with the track. Had good riding for the conditions though. Hopefully much better towards the end of the month.

Also, Polaris is currently out at TML with their big tent in the lower parking lot with new sleds and some Polaris freeride guys. Didn’t catch the names on the windshields though.

G

gwlonder

Mar 7, 2014
We were there through Saturday Jan. 5th. Also found good snow in the trees and a few meadows but the little bit of trails we were on are pretty thin. You do still have to look out for land mines. Had a few broken control arms in our group. Snow was on its way Sunday so that should have helped.

W
Dec 3, 2007
Casper, Wyoming
Not to spread fear in anyone but a young man lost his life in the Togwotee area yesterday, 1-9-19. The cause was an avalanche. Two other riding partners tried to revive him but were unable to.

Few details at this time.

Be safe riding. I do believe that is the second person in Wyoming this riding season.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Not to spread fear in anyone but a young man lost his life in the Togwotee area yesterday, 1-9-19. The cause was an avalanche. Two other riding partners tried to revive him but were unable to.

Few details at this time.

Be safe riding. I do believe that is the second person in Wyoming this riding season.

K2 Radio this morning said same region as the gentleman from Iowa that passed last year in Avalanche.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
It was by Mt. Leidy. I pulled it up on google maps and my Garmin maps. Looks like some steep stuff from Sat. Pictures. There is a very weak layer of sugar in the snow around Togwotee when I was up before Christmas and with the lovely WY wind that seems to blow no stop this year the wind loading is high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

M7SLEDHEAD

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Plato MN
Togwotee

Just got home this afternoon from Togwotee. Out of the 7 times I've been to this area in the last 14 years its probably the least amount of snow I have ever seen. We did find some untouched areas in the trees but no base to it. Multiple times that you would dig down to the dirt and after the wind on Monday a lot of slopes that looked pretty sketchy.

Condolences to the family of the fatality. SAR went out about an hour after we left on Wednesday afternoon.

W
Dec 3, 2007
Casper, Wyoming
The Liedy lake area has some awesome riding. Been there many times. There is also some very step hill climbing in that area as well.

The wind has been a real issue up there this season so far. The lack of snow has been a bigger issue. They will get 12” or so on top of a weak base, then the rest is history.

jlombard

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2018
Anyone been up there lately? Just wondering if the new snow has help much? We are heading there on Feb 9th.

Premium Features