• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo XR400 snowbike

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
So i've been contemplating building a snowbike, and I have a nice XR400 sitting here.

How well do you think a turbocharged XR400 would work as a snowbike?

An XR400 motor seems like an ideal candidate for boost. Or maybe an electric start 400EX motor in a CR/CRF frame.

I don't know, I just look at the XR motor and it screams boost.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
As ideal as it may seem, no go on the XR400 for boost or for a snowbike. Get something with EFI, liquid cooling, and a modern chassis.

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
Id say go for it! Ive got and xr400 and its never seen a tool, low compression, bullet proof motor , I thank it would be pretty cool to see something diff besides what everyone else has if it dont work it gave u something to get out of bed for,:face-icon-small-coo just remember the xr is around high 20s for hp and around that for tq, even if u double that with a turbo your still under stock 450 power

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
A few guys put turbos on the 400ex quad (same motor), and dynoed as high as 65hp

Plus, cold weather + air cooled seems like a great combo...

I'm not sure I'm motivated enough to spend the time doing it, or dumb enough to spend the money to do it, but I can dream, right?

Or maybe a turbo 650...

Premium Features