• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010/11 Togwotee snow conditions

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
If you have been up in this area and have information if its good or bad be sure and post. The more posts will reflect more accurate information. Good news is it looks like it is starting out great!

*Please keep updates in these threads since they will be a sticky..and we wont have a bunch of scattered updates*

Lots of fresh, lots more still needed though. Union pass has about half of what tog has right now. 4x4ing on the roads is funnn right now pissing all the hunters off. The farther you go towards lander, the less the storm totals. What a great start with a 3rd day of snowfall to look forward to:face-icon-small-con

E
Dec 2, 2007
Wisconsin
With access on the line these days from all the wacko enviro groups, what possible good would pissing off all the hunters do??? That said, thanks for the update.

C

Carter

Dec 6, 2007
Carter Sez.....

With the help of friends I can call I will try to post accurate conditions all winter. On a daily basis. Don't want to happen what happened last year where a guy posted info on what he saw from the road and soured people. I guide up there and have first hand knowledge. There is close to 30 inches at Togwotee Pass now. The lodge has about 24. More info later...

IMO 30 inches isnt enough to ride right now...but i've been seeing folks driving around with sleds in their pickups. Makes me feel like i'm missing out but i know patience is key. Supposed to get more snow sat night and sunday, favoring our western slopes once again. Clearing skies right now with a stiff southwest wind, lots of windloading up high going on.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
If I am not mistaken what Carter is referring to was while everyone on this forum was complaining about no snow around New Years at Tog we where riding in awesome snow... see pics below.

I was out there with my wife and friends sitting around the fire with Carter and his group. Both of our groups where hitting awesome snow meanwhile you are seeing posts from guys who don't leave the CD but 2 ft complaining about snow conditions. It was like a ghost town up there.

I know I would LOVE daily reports.

Cheers
Shawn

IMG_0235 (800x532).jpg IMG_0166 (800x532).jpg IMG_0215 (800x532).jpg

Went out on Sunday, 11/7/10, skiied Flaggstaff road area south of the lodge (Togwotee). Few people out, road riding is/would be o.k. some tracks off of the road in a few spots. 1-2ft dense snowpack on north facing slopes. Top layer hoar frosty, faceted could be a prob in the future with this new snow coming. From a visual standpoint it seems like there is more snow/coverage south of the road. Great early season fun.

Togwotee lodge area:
Its been snowing off and on since Sunday night 5-6 inches fresh on top of a good 10-15 inch base. A little more above 9,000. Went for a ski yesterday, tuesday, 11/9/10. Skiied the mountain just to the east of the lodge, found marginal snow lower down but great snow up higher(above 9,000). The lodge ppl had the snowcat running around, I don't think grooming yet but I could be wrong. At the top of the mountain I measured 29 inches and observed a great consolidating base. There were some windslabs/small cornices on the northern lees-which held the best powder snow. All in all pretty safe so far, but more snow forecasted.
Flaggstaff road area:
Snowpack is off to a great start, road-riding in this area would be a good safe bet. 15-25 inch depth, again good for road riding but not enough to cover the willows in the big meadows by the road.

wang11

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Idaho Falls, Id
snotel is showing 20 inches good news for a descent base lets just hope a pre christmas trip is worth it.

bradlemieux7331

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2008
Shakopee MN
Looking for a group to meet or ride along with!

I'm looking for a group to go with or meet up with for some riding in deep snow/ MT riding. Nov 30- Dec 10. Let me know

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
Snotel is showing 35" on Togwotee as of a couple hours ago, teton Pass is closed and snow is in the forecast and lots of it!!! been ridding up there twice the past few weeks got a great base started and now its building up should be a great "January like" ride this weekend some big storms on the way the next couple days on top of what we already got.

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
What happened to the daily updates from that Carter dude??? It must not be winter yet...

he need to find the Geritol!!!!!

yep last year some knothead was telling everyone how bad the snow was and even was giving us crap cuz we had plans to goto Tog in March....well after some phone calls to Carter this is what NO SNOW looked like.....

Togwoteemarch2010patspicsday3010-1.jpg

:tape2::tape2::blah::sleep::laugh:

11/18/10 - Almost 40'' at the top of Tog pass, great early season conditions, as you can see in the pic above^^ Great picture Btw! Looks like you were having a ton of fun! I've been skiing for the last week up on the pass and behind Tog Lodge and have been encountering great snow even on the south-southwesterly aspects. No avys yet(that i've started), but lots of loose snow(sluff) slides on the steeper aspects. Now, when you start venturing out onto the northern aspects, or lees, of these big mountains(above 9,000 ft) avy conditions rise considerably. I measured 78 inches at the top of the mountain behind and east of Tog lodge, not too bad considering its not even Turkey day time.... Now even though I'm skiing it doesn't mean I wouldn't consider taking my sled out right know this second if it wasn't in the shop! lol. I know I have a pretty bland description of the snow conditions and don't have any pics yet but take my word, the snow is darn good right now. The pass road is a little slick in spots but the plow drivers have been working darn hard as of the last 3 weeks or so, eh. If your considering a trip now or Thanksgiving, come! Call up some of these lodges , Tog, Lava mtn, crooked creek, so on...if you need a place to stay maybe they can give you a snowest early season discount! Enjoy and ride hard.

H
Jun 16, 2008
casper, wy
togwotee 11-20

I bit the bullet and rode togwotee this weekend. Snow was great, just not deep enough to want to go everywhere . Visibility was bad because it was snowing the whole time. It has a good base and another few storms and it will be in great shape.

C

Carter

Dec 6, 2007
Togwotee Conditions

The season has started with a bang. Rode Sun. what a gas..... With the early snow, the short storms, and the missed storms, we have a great base with top powder.I stopped digging my pit at 5 ft at 10,000 ft.That spot had a 8 in powder cover as well.The CD trail out from the lodge has good cover. The ponds are almost froze. I'm refering to the ponds on the trail. I would say great early season conditions. Togwotee lodge will NOT have rooms or cabins available til Dec. 1 Then its no anything for a week til they open Dec 5th? If you stay there its bring your everything. The gas pumps take cards. Food is available in Dubois, Lava MTN. lodge, Jackson. For those in need of an early ride fix, come on....

Premium Features