• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HELP!!! Bolt broke off in drive shaft in chain case

Throttle-Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lethbridge Alberta
www.leekseeker.com
I bought an 05 600 RMK for my wife. The sled looked to be in really nice shape, so I thought. :eek:
Got it home and went to change the chain case oil and found a huge problem!:mad: The bolt that holds the lower gear on was sheared off and the head and washer was laying on the bottom of the case. Gear and chain appear to be ok. I spent 3 hours drilling the inside of the shaft carefully attempting to get the the bolt out of the shaft but have not been sucessful so far.
Anyone have any suggestions? I've been sledding for over 20 years and have never seen or experienced this sort of thing before. Also, What torque specs do I tighten the new bolt up to? I am looking for ANY tricks or tips you guys will share! I am pi$$ed about this, but thankful I found it before we went riding. It would have made a big mess if I had not caught it.

Thanks,

P
Nov 28, 2007
Glenville, Minnesota
If it has never been off them bolts were lock tightened in so if you give it a little heat (torch) it might come out with a easy out but you know what they say "there's nothing easy about easy outs" another thing that you might want to do is take the drive shaft out of the sled so the seal does not get to hot in the chain case and it will be easier to work on.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
That was a very common problem on the edge rmks. Actually, what was more common is the lower bolt would back out and fall out. Usually you can drill the bolt and get it out fairly easy with an eazy-out....unless the last person in there used red locktite on it! You will probably have to pull the drive shaft out of the sled, but since you already have the chaincase apart, that isn't that much more work. Drill it well, heat the shaft up to release the locktite that is probably on the remains of the bolt, and try it with an easy out. That is prbably a 5/16" bolt in there now. Most guys were drilling and tapping them out to 3/8 and no more problems. Hope this helps you.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Are you not making headway, drilling the hole for the easyout? The bolt itself shouldn't be hard to drill with a sharp bit.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
left

when drilling use a left handed bit. if no sucess, can try to weld a piece of flat (washer, 16ga or larger plate,anything) to what you can see of the bolt. use cresent to back it on out.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
If you don't have a hole drilled yet, I would pull the driveshaft out of the sled so you stand a better chance of getting the hole drilled straight down the center so you don't end up with a mess if it walks on you while fighting it still in the sled.

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
Hey Throttle. If you can't get the bolt out give me a call and I'll come over and help you pull the driver out. Then you can drill it out and go to a 3/8 bolt so it will never break again.

Throttle-Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lethbridge Alberta
www.leekseeker.com
Thanks for the info guys. I have been able to drill a hold down through where the bolt is, but it is still threaded in there. Markoo, I may be taking you up on your offer. Will be trying tomorrow. I think I'll be getting some of those left handed drill bits and give that a try before heating it up. Will update as I go.

Thanks again!

Jan 7, 2008
Wasilla, AK
a good machine shop could save it. also a good welder can weld a nut, through the hole to the broken stud, using a tig machine and it backs right out. a crappy welder welds the nut to the shaft and it doesn't turn. saved a lot of broken bolts this way.

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
I know you already have a hole in it but what I do is use a Dremel tool with a small disc in it and put a slot in the end of the bolt. Then use a straight screwdriver and try to unscrew the bolt. If it doesn’t budge, use heat.

K
Nov 29, 2007
kelowna bc
I bought an 05 600 RMK for my wife. The sled looked to be in really nice shape, so I thought. :eek:
Got it home and went to change the chain case oil and found a huge problem!:mad: The bolt that holds the lower gear on was sheared off and the head and washer was laying on the bottom of the case. Gear and chain appear to be ok. I spent 3 hours drilling the inside of the shaft carefully attempting to get the the bolt out of the shaft but have not been sucessful so far.
Anyone have any suggestions? I've been sledding for over 20 years and have never seen or experienced this sort of thing before. Also, What torque specs do I tighten the new bolt up to? I am looking for ANY tricks or tips you guys will share! I am pi$$ed about this, but thankful I found it before we went riding. It would have made a big mess if I had not caught it.

i had the same thing on the wifes 98 600 when the chain blowup it took everything in the way..i tried everything.the trick is i put a nut over it and welded it on the inside to the busted bolt..then cool and sping it out..hope that helps

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Drill and tap to 3/8" and put a flat washer underneath the conical washer. That's what many of the HCS guys have done and no issues. It was actually recommended by a Polaris engineer.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
Thanks for the info guys. I have been able to drill a hold down through where the bolt is, but it is still threaded in there. Markoo, I may be taking you up on your offer. Will be trying tomorrow. I think I'll be getting some of those left handed drill bits and give that a try before heating it up. Will update as I go.

Thanks again!

heat it up it will come right out, just get a small propane torch, you're going to be kicking yourself for not heating it up earlier.

Premium Features