• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CR500 and KX500... Is there a need to go to a New Chassis (AF) for a snowbike??

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Looking at some of the possibilities... the though came up to me.

For a snowbike...without the need for the brakes or suspension for a wheeled vehicle... Would it be necessary to invest money into a Service Honda full bike?...

To me, looks like the late model CR-500 R's and the KX-500's were pretty sweet rides... nothing like a new CR/KX-500AF... but still having good forks that are easy to service... a good chassis and rider position.

What are the "cons" to this?

Is there a need for the AF frame/forks on a good snowbike?

Focusing the $$ on the engine would seem to be a good move though.

attachment.php

attachment.php

2001_cr500_01.jpg 4KX500_01.jpg

Last edited:
M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
It's only needed if you want it to look cool and vibrate more... lol I had a kx 500 and I will say the ergos definitely felt strange compared to a new bike, the Honda feels a little better though. I've kicked around doing a service honda, but they are up to about $15,000 now and the kx is $18,000, it's getting stupid. There are some nice used ones out there though. I would also be riding on dirt which is why I would consider one.

M
Jan 14, 2004
IMO for snow only its a waste of money. The steelies dampen vibration much better and work fine for the snow. There is virtually next to no weight savings. The older CRs pre 96 have crappy forks but its an easy swap to newer forks. If I were going to build a hybrid the only frame I would look at is a cro mo KTM frame to help with vibration. JMO

M5

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I have a 2005 CR500AF, I'm not sure why everone says the vibs are bad.. they aren't. That said, rider ergo's and forks are better than the steelies but that is it for snowbike application

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
I'm running a AF CR500 and the vibes suck. For snow I wouldn't do it again.

For a timbersled project bike I think you guys should do the maico 700 and let us know how the vibrations on that are!

M
Jan 14, 2004
Vibes are very manageable on my KTM frame. An AF is not needed and the Ktm was a pretty easy drop in.

For a summer and winter ride that's the bike to build right there, no alu welding or y pipe frame mods. Nice ride. If my KTM blows up again its getting my CR500 motor.

M5

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
Since breaking both of my legs in Dec.2013 my wife and i have an agreement that i cant ride moto,but she has agreed to let me keep my 07 crf 488 with a TS 121.Now to the point.i am willing to put up with vibes for more power!You dont have to have a service honda.

there is a company called CP conversions that sells the Y piece and all the needed mounts for 300-400$.I am in the process of finding a cr 500 engine and then send to Joe @ rpm mfg. for a little big bore since i wont be riding it during the summer i can go for more power the will be usable with a TS.
More is better right!

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
I'm building mine fairly afford-ably, but I have had to dump a lot in the motor because it was so worn out. Mainly doing it because I have wanted to do it for close to 5 years now, and I hope to use it all seasons. I contemplated making it snow only and keeping the steel frame, but still moving forward with the conversion. I have new forks though if I ever change my mind or snow hits first, just a quick all balls conversion and I would be doing all the other snow mods.

Hope to hit some dirt with it though, and have it be my main bike year round, and sell off some others.

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
I am looking for engine now and will do the frame conversion next summer,as my 488 only has 23 hrs at this point.have been following your build here and at cr500riders

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Service Honda buys all the parts separetly and builds a complete motor. So they say. Just buy a worn out motor and rebuild. Easy and cheap.

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
Service Honda buys all the parts separetly and builds a complete motor. So they say. Just buy a worn out motor and rebuild. Easy and cheap.

completely agree with you on that.Whats crazy is the price of a used moter.compared to the price of a used 500 cr or kx.I am waiting for the right deal to show up on CL or ebay.
I would really like to build up a sweet 500 engine for a snowbike only project.Comes a point where you cant get all that power to a knobby tire,but a track is worthy of some torque and HP.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Steel frames are way better than aluminum frames especially when you have to work on the motor, Look at 2015 supercoss and motorcross champion......KTM using a steel frame, aluminum is a bling bling thing

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Steel frames are way better than aluminum frames especially when you have to work on the motor, Look at 2015 supercoss and motorcross champion......KTM using a CHROMOLY frame, aluminum is a bling bling thing

Fixed it for you. :)

Big difference from steel to chromoly.
Weight
Tensile strength
Space (smaller tubes)

At least on dirt newer bikes handle much better than even 6-7 year old bikes.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Lets pull this back to the question at hand.

When people say "Ergos"... well, what does the AF have and how does it translate to a better snowbike experience (as compared to a MX).

How does the "vibes thing" affect a snowbilke?

M
Jan 14, 2004

When people say "Ergos"... well, what does the AF have and how does it translate to a better snowbike experience (as compared to a MX).

The vibes make your hands tired and feel like you've been running a jack hammer all day. There's lots of options for lessening the vibes though from flex bars to pulse injection to the steel frame. As far as the ergos are concerned yah they are dated for dirt but for a snowbike they work fine, in fact the old school seat flat out rocks compared to that POS on my KTM. The forks have a bit more rake so the bike doesn't turn in as fast a modern bike but I run an LT and the switch from ST to LT was a bigger handling difference than the switch from my KTM to the CR500. I may build a hybrid bling bike someday but I'm in no hurry as I'm perfectly happy with my steelie CR. I did add a WP front end from an SX KTM which really helped the bike, if I were doing that again I'd just go with the Showa/Honda set up, its much easier. Again this is all for snow only, I can't see ever riding this bike on the dirt you'd have to be nuts except for dunes.

M5

Last edited:
U
Sep 12, 2010

I have a ktm enduro that feels easier, to me, to swap between positions. The KX500 bars feel too far back for standing while climbing, yet I'd move my mass back in a lot of conditions for unweighting the ski. I don't have qualitative answers. I haven't even measured the two cockpits.

I love that old plush seat!

I get vibrations at certain speeds that are crazy at the pegs and hurt my thighs and hands. The buzz is unbelievable.

Premium Features