• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Evolution Powersports Turbo Viper: Quick Ride Review

C

Cryme_Ariver

Mar 5, 2013
Steamboat Springs CO
With the season nearing a very sad ending for most of us, I figured I would go ahead and write a quick post about my experience with riding the new mountain platform of the Yamaha Viper with an EVO turbo kit.

I know there has been a lot of chatter on here and hopefully this helps answers a lot of the questions that guys are having about this sled as well as about this kit. This is just a quick thread I decided to throw together with a few comments and photos to keep guys excited about these sleds. I will breakup the review into little sections based on riding styles as well as the overall performance of the sled and some of the key features. I will also include video and photos from my time spent on this machine to give you guys a taste of the winter that left us all to early. So here we go!

Tree riding: Yep! I'm jumping right into the topic that's on everyone's mind! While these high horsepower four stroke sleds have been proven time and time again that they can climb, no one has been able to prove these things in the trees. I will say this, the viper is a step in the right direction. This this is not at all like an EVO equipped M1100. The turbo on the bottom end of this machine is insanely quick spooling compared to the M1100. The engine is so much more responsive on the viper then on the M11. Tree riding on this sled takes a few days to get use to, at first you will hate it. After a few days though I was loving the sled and was not tired or sore one bit from throwing it around everywhere I wanted it to go. The chassi, engine, and turbo combination make this the most fun four stroke to tree ride with to date. It can easily hang with any Pro RMK if you learn how to ride it.

Climbing: You want to out climb your buddies? If you answered yes, then this kit is probably something right up your alley. The sled doesn't lack on the bottom end tree riding or on the top end when climbing. Why is the sled so spot on everywhere? Simple, the clutching is 100% dialed in for this turbo kit on the Viper.

Jumping: four strokes can't fly! Oh yes they can! At least the viper can! Jumping kickers, natural terrain, and dropping cliffs are a blast on this! I do prefer my two stroke when I do drops but the viper is a blast to launch off of kickers. You can get so much more speed when getting speed for a short amount of distance is a problem. I enjoyed putting air miles on this sled and am looking forward to doing it again.

Powder riding: If you live for meadow powder riding, the horsepower that this sled puts out will have you grinning from chin to chin. It's a lot of fun and the quick spooling turbo is a must to have on this sled when in deep powder.

Weight: The viper feels 60 pounds lighter then the M1100 turbo. Throwing it around and doing just about everything it feels so much lighter. People say "everything is heavy when it's stuck" well that may be true, the viper sucks when it is stuck. It feels like a tank. That is the only negative thing about the weight of this sled. Don't get stuck, you be reminded why a two stroke is a lot more fun to just roll over and keep riding. As far as weight goes when riding the sled though, it feels light and that's what really matters.

Evo doesn't touch a head shim with this kit. Why would you want to do anything internally to this engine? It's one of the most responsive four stroke sleds and by adding a head shim you take away that "two stroke" like throttle response.

Decided for yourself what you want in a turbo kit when making a decision this summer. The quality, the "fun factor", performance, and awesome fit and finish is here with this kit.

I know this isn't the most "in depth" review but I wanted to give a guideline for guys that are interested in this kit to go off of. If what I said above didn't seem very appealing, enjoy this video and photos and let them speak for themselves!

EVO Team rider,
Clay Hockel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUy43EKLITmASAqr4dO8Nm3A&v=THT7dcEmJHE#

d7579309a9d9381803f9e0b13335a8e4.jpg

5df7a1821c7e3e3d14d2238cd65acd56.jpg

b5fc4029252bc3b360a0b28687150b4f.jpg

b3987a54559a3daf9d052163178477ec.jpg

cb6cb3dafaaf85274b4aa57c9ab761bc.jpg

1735ee508edd28368bc15adf7886f679.jpg

83b42ec4eb8af433907435375b9b5e80.jpg

2a614de4c6c692314c7d25507d98f576.jpg

8d72ed62bfef55411e8be6f9dc09dd25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
I think you have the headshim part backwards. They don't come shimmed but if you shim them they loose throttle response.

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
I didn't mean to piss you off Cryme, informative post, I appreciate that. These engines don't come with a headshim, they get installed with some turbo kits. Installing the shim takes away throttle response. I should have pmed that. Sorry.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I'm sure he meant head gasket. Either way. Clay has a lot of time on the sled but not any time being inside one of these engines.

Evolutions goal was to make the sled very rideable with great throttle response

C

Cryme_Ariver

Mar 5, 2013
Steamboat Springs CO
No Head Shim + Possitve feedback

I think you have the headshim part backwards. They don't come shimmed but if you shim them they loose throttle response.

Yes, I meant to say "A" instead of "the" in the original post about the headshim. Quote: EVO does not touch a head shim with this kit and doesn't feel that a head shim is the way to go. So in other words, these kits are "shimless" so to speak. Here is a video that I posted in the first thread that explains more and goes back to the headshim topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUy43EKLITmASAqr4dO8Nm3A&v=THT7dcEmJHE&app=desktop

As far as your second post goes, there are no hard feelings here! The negative feedback was a mistake on my part as I meant to give positive to help back up your statement. I didn't even realize it until I saw your second reply. I sent a PM to you as well stating the mistake on my part.

Last edited:
J
Nov 27, 2007
mcx evo

Has any body got a chance to compare the EVO to a mcx?

yes I have a mcx 270 viper, have ridden several evo vipers including clays. dan and tren were still dialing clutching when I rode them but clays was quick responsive and ran with mine up the hill on less boost (expected with no head shim). The evo kits are well thought out quality kits and the jim and crew are great to work with. They helped me get my 1100 ripping a few years ago and re flashed my viper ecu.
julio

Premium Features