• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 Propane Turbo M8

S
Dec 1, 2007
Jackson, WY
2011 Propane Turbo M8 / trade

***This sled will be in Calgary on the 30th and in Revelstoke from the January 31-February 6 if any Canadians are interested and would like a test ride***

For sale is my 2011 Arctic Cat M8 153" with an OVS/Simmons propane turbo kit, which was done by Garr at OVS. Read more about it here:

http://www.ogdenvalleysports.com/m8_propane_67.html

The sled has around 950 miles on it and is in great condition. Everything is clean and straight, and the rear suspension has the OVS Anti-wheelie kit which couples the rear suspension.

This is a pull n' go sled as the propane mixer automatically responds to changes in atmospheric pressure so there's no fiddling with control boxes as you go up and down in elevation. If you're just curious, feel free to ask any questions on here so the responses will be viewable to curious parties in the future. The price is $10,500, and may consider trades in the form of an expandable sleddeck or a stock or PG turbo 2010+ M8 for my girlfriend. If you're a serious buyer call 231-313-0923 anytime.

P1020244.jpg P1020240.jpg P1020255.jpg P1020238.jpg P1020253.jpg M8 propane turbo engine 001.jpg M8 propane turbo engine 002.jpg M8 propane turbo engine 004.jpg propane m8 001.jpg propane m8 003.jpg

Last edited:
R
Apr 21, 2008
trade

Do you still have the sled for trade. i have a 2010 m8 with just a can and different clutch spring in it. vents and slp high flow air intake. located in mt.

S
Dec 1, 2007
Jackson, WY
The tanks hold 12 gallons, which generally lasts longer than you will ever want to ride in a day. I only boondock, and the most I've burned in a day is 10 gallons. Your buddies will have to pack gas to go as far as you can. The cool thing about propane is that you can ride until the tank is nearly bone dry, whereas you need a couple gallons in a gasser to keep them lit. The reason for this is that the mixer converts the LPG into gas, but if it gets to the mixer in vapor form it works just the same. It also runs just as well upside down as shiny side up (not that I've tested it - remember this sled has only been driven to church on Sundays by a 50-year-old lady.)

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
The tanks hold 12 gallons, which generally lasts longer than you will ever want to ride in a day. I only boondock, and the most I've burned in a day is 10 gallons. Your buddies will have to pack gas to go as far as you can. The cool thing about propane is that you can ride until the tank is nearly bone dry, whereas you need a couple gallons in a gasser to keep them lit. The reason for this is that the mixer converts the LPG into gas, but if it gets to the mixer in vapor form it works just the same. It also runs just as well upside down as shiny side up (not that I've tested it - remember this sled has only been driven to church on Sundays by a 50-year-old lady.)

ive got an apex propane with 14 gallon tanks on it. i have never run out. i leave one tank off so i know when i run out. i usually can go around 70 miles on one tank. i run it at 26 pounds so she uses some fuel. damn good price for an awesome sled. never had a 2 stroke on propane but i would recommend it to anyone. plus the m8 handles fantastic. handles as good as a pro IMO but thats just me.

good luck with sale.i might have a guy interested in it as well. so let me know if youve sold it or not.

thanks.

S
Dec 1, 2007
Jackson, WY
Nytro41, thanks for telling your buddies, and the sled is still for sale. I owned a propane Nytro last year that was built by Brad Story and Val Simmons. The power was amazing but, as a boondocker, I couldn't come to terms with the weight and handling. On the engine front, the propane 2-stroke does everything I expected and more. With the Tial wastegate the lag is virtually non-existent - just a smooth whoosh and your going. It also doesn't stall when I chop the throttle like my propane Nytro occasionally did.

"So," you're asking, "Why are you selling the perfect sled?" Well, it is perfect for someone, but that person may not be me. For the average rider that wants to wheelie up huge hills with reasonable handling (as apposed to a 4-stoke) this sled will do it. But I spend most of my time in the tight stuff where 8 lbs of boost is plenty, so I end up on my PG M8 most of the time. And that's not to say you can't run a propane sled at low boost, but then you're dealing with the propane's handling quirks with the only benefit being $30 in fuel savings a day over pump/race mixture (for the record, filling up a propane sled is NOT inconvenient. It takes about 5 minutes at the local Shell station or Suburban Propane and I'm good for one long day or 2 after work rides.)

"Handling quirks you say? I thought propane was light?" Yes, it is, and the aluminum tanks are light too. This sled is actually lighter than my PG M8, but the weight is redistributed in a way that makes the sled feel slightly top heavy. That's because the stock tank does a great job of keeping the fuel low and centralized, whereas the rocketship propane tanks sit higher and further back. If you've ever ridden an M8 with 5 gallons on the tunnel, the feeling is similar. For normal riding it's no big deal, and huge boost is a blast almost everywhere, but for playing follow the leader with much better riders on stockish Poo Pros, I'll take my PG turbo. Anyhow, someone is going to love this sled, and get a darn good deal considering the kit is over $9000 installed.

Last edited:
S
Dec 1, 2007
Jackson, WY
I forgot to mention that it can come with a custom painted hood with skulls and hardcore things airbrushed on it, if you're into that sort of thing. I'll post more pictures after I get the pipe wrapped tonight.

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
sound

I'm kind of interested, but have to sell a 2011 etec. Is that a straight pipe out the side? I have noise ordinance to deal with in colorado

S
Dec 1, 2007
Jackson, WY
It has the OVS "quiet exhaust," which does come out of the side of the sled. For comparison, it has a noticeably softer tone than the SLP can on my M7 buddy sled. However, even though at idle it is quieter than the tunnel dump can on my BD turbo, on the hill the tunnel dump seems quieter since you aren't throwing noise straight sideways. If I end up keeping the sled this winter (could be worse!) I may weld up a tunnel dump, since I'm a huge proponent of quiet exhaust in all applications (in the summer, 4-strokes can't even hear my KTM 300 next to them.)

If the noise is your only bugaboo, let me know your trail cops measuring method and I can try to replicate the test with my dB meter.

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
too many sleds

No,noise isn't the big bugaboo. It's i have too many sleds right now.i need to sell my etec

S
Dec 1, 2007
Jackson, WY
Update: We've got real deal snow here - over 3 feet on some hills. I'm putting the OVS torsional conversion in to see how that does compared to a straight 46. Rides are welcome, and I promise a smile.

Premium Features