• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 D7 Electrical issue....Regulator???

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Son #1 was coming down from a wheelie yesterday and the lights/gauges went out on his 07 D7. He said he shut it down, popped the hood, looked over all connections and then fired it up. The lights/gauges came onat first, but quickly went out and the rpms took a dump like in "limp" mode.

He shut it down again and towed it back. I fired it up this evening and it had no electrical until I throttled it up, almost like exciting an alternator. Sut it down, fired it up a second time and no electrical, just a dim glow in the head light. No gauges at all. Shut it down.

Is this the voltage regulator? Is there a quick test with a multi meter or should I have it run with a digital wrench. i checked all connections and saw no issues. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. EW

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I appreciate the response. Found some damaged/shorted wires under the tank cowling in front of the bars. When you remove the tank cowling there are 2 screws on each side of the split in front of the bars. Mine stripped out the 3rd or 4th time I removed them.

i put in my own threaded inserts and new screws. The screws are a bit too long and were rubbing on the harness below. Looks like when he came down that it drove the screw through the harness. Made the repairs with epoxy heat shrink connectors and re-routed. Had it put on a digital wrench and no issues. Lucked out I guess. thanks again. EW

J

jholer

Dec 9, 2007
Jackson, WY
Yup sounds like the regulator. Mine did basically exactly the same symptoms, dealer thought it was a variety of shorts, but polaris told them about the regulator problems. Sled has been flawless for 200+miles since the new regulator went in. do a search, you'll find more.

Premium Features