• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VES spring change question

S
Nov 1, 2009
Going to switch out the VES stock springs and go liter geting them to open sooner. Question is, if i go to soft, can i cause engine damage, ie. a lean condition? (carbed 660ho, ves lines capped))
Othere then bogging in the mid, what are othere negative effects of a lite spring.
thank in advance

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
It would be worth doing a plug check I think. At the most you may need to adjust your needles a notch. A lighter spring may not close as quickly either. What spring are you using and at what altitude?

S
Nov 1, 2009
stock spring is in it now. I ride Quebec so not to high in elevation. Basically, I'd like them to open as soon as possible without causing a bog or killing the motor.
i need to find that "sweet spot". I only ride groomed trail so a constant speed is the norm. they open to late for my liking now. you can just feel the pull when they do. Unfortunately, I seem to ride in the rpm range were they just want to open but not yet area of the valve. thus, my above question.

I have searched and read alot of the posts regarding the valves and spring rate. Unsure how many spring rates i have to go down before i get it rite for my style or do damage.

so, basicly, can i cause damage to the engine if the valves open to soon? thanks

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
My concern with any of these is that the solenoid is holding the valves shut until a predetermined rpm. The idea of a VES (variable exhaust system) is to have a smaller port opening to create more low end at slower speed. As rpm increases the port height increases. With the solenoid in control it holds the valves closed until you start to have an engine choking situation. I believe they do this to meet EPA regulations. With the lower port height they can then supply less fuel to the motor at a specified rpm. This should be the lean spot where the EPA tests emissions. :(
On carb models it should be a simple needle adjustment. They jetted it to run with the solenoid. You have taken that out of the picture. Do just a short mid throttle run at about 6500-7000 rpm then shut it down and see how the plugs look or check your piston wash.
Have you tried running it with the stock springs and solenoid plugged? That might do the trick itself. Otherwise check this thread for spring rates. I think they were on page 2. :rolleyes:

S
Nov 1, 2009
actually i have the solenoid ports plugged off already.
You make a point i have not heard of yet, a possible lean condition just as valve opens due to this mod if i understand correct, i have run it like plugged off since new and even jetted down to 410's. plugs are always chocolate to black. the needle clip adjust is something i hadn't even considered.

So, if i understand correct, by litening the spring rate, =valves open sooner in the already lean mid range possably causing a leaner flow thereby cooking? am i off base hear

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
actually i have the solenoid ports plugged off already.
You make a point i have not heard of yet, a possible lean condition just as valve opens due to this mod if i understand correct, i have run it like plugged off since new and even jetted down to 410's. plugs are always chocolate to black. the needle clip adjust is something i hadn't even considered.

So, if i understand correct, by lightening the spring rate, =valves open sooner in the already lean mid range possibly causing a leaner flow thereby cooking? am i off base hear

That is how I look at it anyway :rolleyes: It is a consideration that I would pay attention too. The 600 may not be as finicky as the 800's, but it never hurts to make sure everything is dialed in.
Sounds like you are running somewhat rich already? So I don't think I would be too worried. What altitude are you riding at?
You are correct with the valves opening sooner you are changing the motor requirements to some extent. It is minimal, but always worth checking IMO. You will be increasing exhaust flow so you hypothetically would want to increase fuel flow. Again, I think this is minimal. Remember, if they open too soon you will actually hinder low end performance. :(
Keep us posted on your findings.

Premium Features