• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do engine builder threads help or hinder sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Thought maybe a poll asking if the engine fix/myth type threads actually help or hurt the sales of the individuals who are the main participants, what do you think?

Personally I think they hurt sales, after reading these ongoing discussions/debates I wouldn't buy the products of several shops who I might have considered previously. But that is just me!

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
But now that you've decided against some of the kits it'll make it easier to pick one that you think will work. IMO the threads are a good thing so we can all be informed. I feel the same way about not buying from some companies I had previously considered.

Last edited:
R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
i would still buy stuff from rkt even if he didnt like me or even called me names

when i pay money i pay for the product

rkt really helped clarify that cold shot is a myth and shouldnt even be called a cold shot

he seems like a pretty sharp guy, i my self wouldnt have though about cold shot being a myth until we all argued with him for a while

the fact that he stands behind his opinions and actually explains to us on this forum is pretty cool

i would feel less confident not knowing the guys who make the stuff that im paying my money for

R
Dec 24, 2008
I enjoy the reads and info provided. I just draw my own personal conclusions on what I read. I feel I always walk away with some helpful tidbit of info and some new nick that I try on my own machines and make my decisions. if I like the results then I pass the info on to the people I deal with. keep on keepin' on!:face-icon-small-coo

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
My decision was made by the failure, totally blown engine with hole through bottom end, I obviously waited too long to implement a fix solution, but it was theoretically still under warranty.

Buying a proven engine design for almost half of what Polaris charges with a longer warranty was a no brainer, and quite frankly the only solution for me.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I think those type of threads just make it sound like there are more problems with these motors than there actually is. However, by continually bringing these arguing type threads to the forefront, these companies sell more parts. Pretty basic thinking really. I believe they call it propaganda. It works for Obama, too. Tell people the same thing over and over and pretty soon the sheeple start following.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
i would still buy stuff from rkt even if he didnt like me or even called me names

when i pay money i pay for the product

rkt really helped clarify that cold shot is a myth and shouldnt even be called a cold shot

he seems like a pretty sharp guy, i my self wouldnt have though about cold shot being a myth until we all argued with him for a while

the fact that he stands behind his opinions and actually explains to us on this forum is pretty cool

i would feel less confident not knowing the guys who make the stuff that im paying my money for

He has not PROVED anything. He is touting his opinion as FACTS and DATA, and some are gullible enough to believe him. Which is sad, but it helps him sell his snake oil. The heat soaked / cold shot issue is indeed real, it just has not been explained using terminology that everyone understands. When you shut off a hot engine and take a break, the coolant stops moving other than natural convection. So while "Kelsey" is correct that it continues to "cool" it also gets much hotter (engine and coolant) than if it was still running and carrying that heat away. Upon restart the colder water from the exchangers does indeed shock cool the engine to an extent. The swings in temperature do cause dimensional changes and as a result can squeak a piston and accelerate skirt collapse. Ideally we should effort maintaining a tight window of temperature for optimum performance.

You can believe him and cold shock your engine if you wish. It is just an easy way for him to sell you another set of pistons. I personally would not buy his stuff even if you gave me your money to do so. It is a shame you are only a basic member and are excluded from the current coversation, because members that have much more real world knowledge are making valid points and he is squirming, of course he is too arrogant to admit his logic and opinions are flawed.

Good luck!

Last edited:
R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
He has not PROVED anything. He is touting his opinion as FACTS and DATA, and some are gullible enough to believe him. Which is sad, but it helps him sell his snake oil. The heat soaked / cold shot issue is indeed real, it just has not been explained using terminology that everyone understands. When you shut off a hot engine and take a break, the coolant stops moving other than natural convection. So while "Kelsey" is correct that it continues to "cool" it also gets much hotter (engine and coolant) than if it was still running and carrying that heat away. Upon restart the colder water from the exchangers does indeed shock cool the engine to an extent. The swings in temperature do cause dimensional changes and as a result can squeak a piston and accelerate skirt collapse. Ideally we should effort maintaining a tight window of temperature for optimum performance.

You can believe him and cold shock your engine if you wish. It is just an easy way for him to sell you another set of pistons. I personally would not buy his stuff even if you gave me your money to do so. It is a shame you are only a basic member and are excluded from the current coversation, because members that have much more real world knowledge are making valid points and he is squirming, of course he is too arrogant to admit his logic and opinions are flawed.

Good luck!

while it is a shame i am a basic member and even more a shame that i need to pay to read past 2 pages :crazy:

i am not buying anything from rkt...and as far as i know he doesnt sell anything for the pro that resolves the "cold shock" like thermostats or anything

im not one of those bolt on parts guy who owns a mustang...i think i could handle my self and make my own desicions

what your talking about is more of a cold seize...the engine is still cooling down...clearance is getting less and less...and then when you start up again...colder coolant passes through...getting it a little colder and even tightening it up even more...if you squeak your piston i think this would be more like a cold seize...what i think of cold shock is that the coolant would actually be heating up the engine...which is just not possible...cold seize is when you swell a piston into you cylinder...cold shock is when you shrink your cylinder into your piston from the cylinder being expanded because the coolant heated it...which just isnt true...

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
while it is a shame i am a basic member and even more a shame that i need to pay to read past 2 pages :crazy:

i am not buying anything from rkt...and as far as i know he doesnt sell anything for the pro that resolves the "cold shock" like thermostats or anything

im not one of those bolt on parts guy who owns a mustang...i think i could handle my self and make my own desicions

what your talking about is more of a cold seize...the engine is still cooling down...clearance is getting less and less...and then when you start up again...colder coolant passes through...getting it a little colder and even tightening it up even more...if you squeak your piston i think this would be more like a cold seize...what i think of cold shock is that the coolant would actually be heating up the engine...which is just not possible...cold seize is when you swell a piston into you cylinder...cold shock is when you shrink your cylinder into your piston from the cylinder being expanded because the coolant heated it...which just isnt true...

No offense but I have my doubts, your last paragraph doesn't even make sense. Shrink your cylinder from it being expanded? Physically impossible and you call it cold shock? Good luck!

srt20

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2010
I enjoy reading the most of the builders posts. But some of them just dont know when to shut up. They probably are doing more harm than good for their businesses. I am referring to more than one builder too.

Edit, I am gonna buy a membership just to read the bickering...haha

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I enjoy reading the most of the builders posts. But some of them just dont know when to shut up. They probably are doing more harm than good for their businesses. I am referring to more than one builder too.

Edit, I am gonna buy a membership just to read the bickering...haha

Redneck entertainment at its finest! But I agree with you. If I were to get into the business I would try and not get sucked into these conversations, at least not while using the Business account. Trying to force your opinion on people is a lose / lose situation regardless if you are right or wrong. It is not going to end well for you.

I see nothing wrong with stating your / my opinion, but when they / we start letting our egos enter the conversation, it becomes a D!ck measuring contest and no one wins when that happens.

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
No offense but I have my doubts, your last paragraph doesn't even make sense. Shrink your cylinder from it being expanded? Physically impossible and you call it cold shock? Good luck!

it is impossible...thats why cold shock is a myth

cold shock, cold shot...crew cab vs crew max...super cab vs extended cab...

i dont think you understand...its a little hard to explain...but what your thinking of is cold seize when you start up your sled and hammer down after it not running for a few minutes...that is not a myth...but cold shot or what ever your wishing me luck about calling it is a myth...

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Redneck entertainment at its finest! But I agree with you. If I were to get into the business I would try and not get sucked into these conversations, at least not while using the Business account. Trying to force your opinion on people is a lose / lose situation regardless if you are right or wrong. It is not going to end well for you.

I see nothing wrong with stating your / my opinion, but when they / we start letting our egos enter the conversation, it becomes a D!ck measuring contest and no one wins when that happens.

In a nutshell!

After being on this and other sites for some time, you see a pattern in peoples use of the forums. Both regular members and vendors. Some stick to promoting their own products/services and offer a deal now and then. And when asked about theirs vs. another product they just back out and refuse to join the battle.

I consider this a sign of professionalism on their part and my respect for this company and willingness to purchase from them increase.

The opposite happens when I see vendors entering a competitors thread about his products and starts to point out how they are mistaken and why said product is a bad choice. I believe this shows what kind of person i will be dealing with if there is a problem with one of his products..

Extreme caution should be used, IMO, when a vendor decides to engage in discussions on a forum like this. He or she would do well to keep it on the informative and short! If I don't get it the 2nd time, leave me to my delusions and don't antagonize me. Your sales will be higher for it.

This is what I believe, true or false, and I will spend my money accordingly.

Best regards,

Last edited:
S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
I have no idea how anyone who wants to be thought of as a credible competent builder/supplier of engine products could get so sucked into the type of discussions that constantly go on, under the guise of helping out the forum members. A good salesperson / marketing team could actually probably increase sales for some of these guys, who should quite simply stay in the shop.
Me, I've got a couple RkTek products still laying on my shelf that I bought after reading some of his helpful infotech, used very lightly I might ad, and saw way to many of my buddies who bought the bb 860 that a few years ago he described as the bomb, deal with the frustration of severe deto and nikasil shedding to get sucked into his web again, I don't care how much TALKING he does.
If his ego was rated like octane, he'd be about 240-280 I think.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Makes for good/fun reading!

That said, I've owned my own business and worked for self before....I wouldn't do any public bickering with my business name attached. Too wide of an audience and you never know who's going to take what the wrong way.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I see nothing wrong with stating your / my opinion, but when they / we start letting our egos enter the conversation, it becomes a D!ck measuring contest and no one wins when that happens.[/QUOTE]

thats where your wrong. i always win those;)

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA

Good luck!

This is a very clear explanation of the "cold shot". Some of you guys can say what you want, but the cold shot is very real, not a myth. Cold seize and cold shot are two entirely different things. I am kinda baffled that some of these so called engine guru's can't figure it out. It's so easy, a caveman on a snowmobile can do it.

I'm starting to think that RKT has an alter-ego that goes by the name of Roffrider. Keep selling parts Kelsey....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features