• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hidden Gems Wilderness Update

Farmer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Carbondale, CO
Hello Folks!,

I just wanted to drop everyone a line to let you know how things are going on the battle to keep our public lands open to the public! Before I go into any details I first want to thank all of you folks who have helped to create so much awareness, so fast, on this issue that we all care about so much. It has been just amazing the response we have seen from so many people and from so many user groups and people from different walks of life. I think it just goes to prove our point that this so much bigger than just one issue or just one user group. For many, this is basically the breaking point for us hard working, common people who have watched for years as our public lands have slowly been taken away from us. It is so exciting to see how much people still care and that folks are not going to take this kind of thing sitting down. This type of response is the last thing the people behind Hidden Gems wanted to see. They were hoping more than anything that they could appease us with a few little concessions here and there and we would go away. Judging by the email responses, I would say not a chance!

We do now have our website up and running and it is changing daily. Please visit it and let us know what you think. http://www.whiteriverforestalliance.com We plan on having the ability to start taking free memberships plus donations to the White River Forest Alliance late next week. Additionally we are working on a awareness campaign and we hope to get maps, flyers and posters out later next week also. This combined with the website and emails will hopefully tie the whole campaign together. Once we get this done we will post these anywhere and everywhere we can think of. We intend to pass these out all over western Colorado. We need to get to counties like Delta, Gunnison, Mesa and Summit where very few people know about this proposal and let them know how it will effect them! When we get these materials done we will defiantly be looking for volunteers to get the info out there and distributed in the different areas and communities.

Finally, many of you have asked "What can I do?" We are a day or two away from being ready start the letter writing campaign to the elected officials. What you can do now you ask?? Continue to spread these emails around, post on web sites and forums, talk to folks on the street, keep creating the awareness. If you have time send letters to editors of your local newspaper tell people who you are and why you love to do what you do, Don't let anyone stereotype you as being just one thing. None of us represent just one group we all love to enjoy the forest in many different ways. Personally I am not just a snowmobiler, I am also a 4-wheeler, atver, and a hiker. Don't let anyone stereotype you as one thing, we are a diverse crowd with many different interests, let people know that. The most important thing is create awareness. Awareness is the key! The more folks that know the whole story the more people will speak out against what these folks are trying to do.

Thank you all for your help and support.
Sean

White River Forest Allaince Member
Mt Sopris Rec Riders President

A

augerin

Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls Wa.
Not to beat a dead horse, but we need more people to sign up for groups like yours and SAWS so our opinions are taken seriously. Keep up the good work:beer;

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Farmer has been very active. If half the people on this 4M alone was half as active as him, we would be an overwhelming force. I'm don't mean to take shots at people because I know people have jobs, families and obligations. Just take some time to submit letters to Polis, county commissioners, mayors, or any other government officials. I was done submitting to Congressman Polis in a matter of 10 minutes. And for those that think it don't matter...I got a call from one of his aids two hours later!

At the least, join a snowmobile club, atv club, 4x4 club...anything that you can contribute to the size in terms of numbers.

Premium Features