• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can you reflash a 06' 900 RMK from SLP's reflash, back to stock reflash?

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
Can you reflash a 06' 900 RMK from the SLP reflash, back to stock reflash / flash? I'm having a hell of a time figuring out why my brand new 06 900 RMK is cutting out at about 5,200 rpm's, and again at 6,600 rpm's. It seems to happen right before a bit of a power band (6,900rpm and up) kicks in if you know what I mean. I had it at the dealer a few times to go through the process of elimination and so far no luck. So here's what I'm thinking...

What I'm considering doing is trying the sled with the stock pipe and can to see if it still cuts out. I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty sure we would need to reflash it back to stock specs from the SLP reflash specs if we try this option.

My sled has done this cutting out from mile 1 to mile 300, and has had the following mods since mile 1, so I don't know if it would have run right had I not put any mods on it.

-SLP high altitude head
-SLP single pipe, y pipe, and can
-V-force 3reeds
-Fire and Ice airbox
-Aside from that the other modes are venting, touque arms etc. etc...

No codes are being thrown from the computer. The dealer has checked the following sensors; egt, tps, & air temp. They have also re reflashed it with new reflash codes from SLP. And they checked the v-force reeds. After checking the sensors and reflashing it, they told me they thought it had to be the SLP head, so I put the stock head back on, and it still cuts out right at the same spots, around 5,200 rpm and 6,600 rpm. The motor will come right out of it, snap to life, and run spot on at all other RPM ranges right up to 7,900 without missing a beat. I'm trying to convince the dealer to put in a new ecu? They do not seem to think that could be it.

This cutting out at these RPM ranges is driving me nuts. My 05' 900 sled, with the same mods except for it has an RKTEK head, runs perfect at all rpm ranges. I want to use the 05' more as a backup / wifes sled as it's miles are getting up there.

I'm looking for any other potential issues to run past the dealer to use in the process of elimination. Thanks in advance…

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
I couldn't see why not. the dealer should beable to flash it back for you. by flashing what they are doing is reprogramming the calibration tables. so it was programmed with the slp flash and you should be able to put the stock program back in it. call your dealer he will know or should i say he should know.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I am just replying to what I read online and lack the personal experience of your specific problem.

Each 900 sled is seems to be different and behaves different to each mod.

I have heard V-force reeds can cause problems at specific RPM ranges.

I have talked to a couple people who had problems with aftermarket SLP pipes and reflashed back to original.

Worst case scenario is a wire or terminal short causing it to happen during certain vibration / frequencies.

More important is the dealer has access to this advice thru dealer support. Plus SLP and most other aftermarket people will tell you what has been done to troubleshoot problems like you are confronting.

Did the SLP head cool down the sled?

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jaida

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2007
My 06 RMK has a similar problem up to about 1/4 throttle, it seems to mis and cut out. The higher I go in elevation the less noticeable it is, after 6000' it seems to run fine. The previous owner said it did this ever sense the slp pipe was installed.

Slp Pipe, intake, vents

R
Dec 17, 2006
Call SLP ,they will tell you if you can ,I dont think it can be ,I talk to them about it awhile back but cant recall what they told me? but they will be able to answer that for you.

J
Dec 4, 2007
Northern Sweden
you can not go back to stock program on the 06 rmk900.. slp need to seed the stock program to dialer and then re-flash..

i think slp mapping is to rich on fuel at midrange try to go to a more open airfilter system.

P
Nov 26, 2007
Yes, it CAN be done. The issue would be when you want to go back to the SLP flash. Your dealer will have to jump through hoops to get the SLP flash back in, but again this can also be done with some phone calls t SLP. Going back to stock is as easy as stopping at your local dealer and having them hook up the computer to git-r-done.

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
Thanks for all the thoughts on this. Am I correct that if you run the stock pipe, and a SLP can and SLP head you do not need to reflash? If this was the case, and I could get my sled to stop cutting out I might stick with the stock pipe if I could at least not have to use the boat anchor of a stock can.

What do you all think of going with an after market boondocker box or equivalent? I believe these boxes work with changing the fuel air ratios? The dealer told me that putting something like that on might do the trick. At around $300 I'm not too excited about going that route though, and I just want the sled to run well without having to tinker with a boondocker box all the time if that would be the reality of it.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I think to talk about a boondocker box you might try the performance forum.

Don't run one but lots of people here do run them.

R
Jan 2, 2008
northern utah
dont get a SLP reflash put a box on it because all mods are diferent on all 900
we have 2 and at one point in time they had same mods on both and brother was the same we ride togather .there were 3 diferent sled with same mods and 3 diferent TFI settings . you just have to tune to the sled and not try to do a one size fits all !!! go back to factory and then get a box.

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
RMK900204 are you suggesting to have it reflashed back to stock and then put a boondocker type box on it? What do you mean by "TFI settings"? I'm assuming you mean the setting on a boondocker type box? It's frustrating as my 05 900 with the same exact mods except the head is an RKTEK head runs great with the SLP reflash. I'm shaking my head asking what gives...

Premium Features